Its all in the mind

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Its all in the mind

Post  Penor on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:44 am

When we consider any action of body or speech the motivating factor is the mind. Its pretty clear. Even if it seems we act without thinking the action was still motivated by a thought. So when we think of self defence or fighting etc it seems to be successful we have to generate certain states of mind that generate certain actions. There is a lot of talk about adrenaline and fear etc. But what motivates them? What states of mind generate them? Acclimatizing, pressure testing and scenario training are primarily psychological training tools. They build psychological resilience, helping the mind remain calm under pressure. When we look at self defence what is it that we really seek?

Last edited by Penor on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:13 am; edited 2 times in total

Penor

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Its all in the mind

Post  Penor on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Steve Morris talks about the importance of mind in combat, so does Fedor, Bas Ruten etc. I once read if someone dominates you mentally then they have you physically. In SAS selection training they are looking for mental resilience. Deane Lawler once told me that fighting or self defence is all about working with fear and adrenaline and it doesn't matter what martial art you trained in. Sometimes I rekon one should train to develop these qualities at the beginning then develop ones tool kit so to speak. If you haven't got the ability to handle the chaos, pain and fear, then you have to develop that ability. But who really wants to do that? Can anyone develop it?  I believe so.

Penor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:50 pm

I agree it can be taught. But I also think that some people come by this mind set almost accidentally. By this I mean the people who have suffered hardships and had to deal with adversity and lack of love / support / guidance in their formative years as they have grown from small children to young adults. Some people deal (or fail to deal) with these circumstances by falling by the way side and finding an escape be it in drugs, drink etc. Whereas other people deal with this by becoming mentally very tough individuals, albeit not particularly well rounded members of society.

Dave

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2006-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Penor on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks for your comments Dave.  I agree with you when you say some people develop it naturally whilst others tend to avoid the problem and seek comfort or relief. The potential to be resilient is the same for all of us regardless of our environment. The interesting thing about resilience is its development is dependent upon adversity. By adversity I mean anything that makes us averse. When it comes to violence or fighting the biggest problem we face is fear. If you can't deal with it then you become physically impotent. But what are we scared of? We train to be proficient enough to protect ourselves and others, but at what point in the training does one become free from fear? I believe it is possible but it is not dependent on physical ability. It is dependent upon the transcendence of ego. But if you are free from fear does it mean you no longer feel the need to defend yourself? How can one answer this question? Maybe the answer lies undiscovered within each of us.

Penor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top