Basic Footwork

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Basic Footwork

Post  FASD on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Another article from the archives for you to have a hack at...

---

The application of proper footwork is very important when fighting. Poor footwork can lead to becoming unbalanced which well end in your defeat. Good footwork can be used to your advantage through strategic measures. It can be used to keep distance (whether it is close or far), to manoeuvre around obstacles and to create unpredictability. It is also the basis of evasiveness.

To ensure you keep balance, use small quick non distinctive steps. To ensure fluidity and prevention of telegraphing, springiness is the key. Telegraphing is when your actions are obvious enough so that your opponent can predict what you are going to do. You should be in constant movement, by always use the minimum effective distance.

All of the following types of footwork are best used from the Fighters Position.

Side Stepping can be used to quickly gain a better position for attack or to avoid straight rushes. The secret is to move late and quick. To Side Step to the right, move your right lead foot sharply to the right, a distance of about 18 inches, then bring your left foot an equal distance behind it. To side step left is similar. Bring your left foot sharply to the left and forward a distance of about 18 inches, and follow it with your right. The examples just given assume that your right leg is forward most ie you are leading with your right side.

The Quick Advance is useful to close the distance and/or for attack. Lunge forward taking small steps with your front foot moving first followed by your rear foot. Your body crouches towards the floor to maintain balance. Keep your distance and move in close only when the right opportunity arises. To perform a Quick Retreat, just do the same but backwards. Move your back foot first. Be sure to not attempt attack whilst retreating and never take more than three steps back unless you are sure you know what is behind you.

Side Steps can be combined with Advance or Retreats to create diagonal actions. This should be performed so that you can make unexpected changes in direction to gain strategic placement

If you wish to change you lead side, use the Switch. It is handy to cause confusion in your opponent if he has gotten accustomed to your original lead, but is more commonly used when naturally flowing on after striking. This is easily done by just stepping through eg when kicking or in combination. A quick switch can be made by way of a a little jump, but be sure the jump is made as low to the ground as possible.

Any type of advancing footwork can be used to increase power in a strike. Be sure that when your advancing for attack that your lead foot does not land before the strike.

These are the basics of footwork. There are other 'types' of footwork but if you get good at these, then it is all you will need. Once you have these fundamentals installed in your muscle memory, then it will not matter how you move. You will not need to think about keeping balanced because you just will.
FASD

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-13

View user profile http://firstactionselfdefense.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Basic Footwork

Post  David Turton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:49 am

Mmm.. you are obviously a decent chap, but I am slightly 'concerned' with your posts, they are obviously pinched from somewhere and not your own, at least I dont think so

thats OK initself.. but you post a subject then only write about 25% ABOUT that subject.. not in full agreement with your 'footwork' descriptions, but thats purely personal

I apologise if I have caused any offence, but if you post stuff, you must expect feedback and comments whether Kicks or Kudos

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 am

Mmm.. you are obviously a decent chap

Good opening.. I totally agree Smile

they are obviously pinched from somewhere and not your own

They are definitely my own.. and I get a-lot of slack for them so to admit so when they are not would not make sense. They are 'pinched' from my blog.

Obviously the information has at some stage been sourced from research and then spewed back out in my own words.

but you post a subject then only write about 25% ABOUT that subject..

I just had a quick re-read and Im not a maths genius but Im pretty sure majority of the article is indeed about footwork (let me know if I have misunderstood your comment)

not in full agreement with your 'footwork' descriptions, but thats purely personal

I agree, my descriptions aren't 100% accurate. It was written about 10 years ago

I apologise if I have caused any offence, but if you post stuff, you must expect feedback and comments whether Kicks or Kudos

No offense taken. I welcome all constructive criticism.

Thanks for your comments
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Just a couple of points to clarify my earlier post

I meant that your coverage of 'footwork' only covered 25%.. re-reading it, I feel that its a lot less than 25%

You are slightly out on a couple of descriptions and there is nothing about grappling stances and postural changes at all, and they all start from what you termed the 'Fighters Position' .. there is no such animal.

Secondly, you have posted TWO articles which you claim were/are both at least TEN years old..

I have been writing for mags etc since 1975 (38 years) and would be horrified if I had to post an article I wrote ten years ago about a subject that I would have hoped I had improved on.. I would have NO compunctions about QUOTING from an old article of mine then explaining any whys I thought needed changing (or not maybe)
I wonder why you feel the need to post ten year old articles rather than re-vamp or upgrade them?

the very complex subject of 'footwork' (only one fifth of actual body movement) cannot be covered from one 'Fighters position'... whatever that is..

Tai Sabaki .. Jigotai .. Postural Changes and more are all part of this subject and each aspect requires years of study...

your points have a certain validity but fall short of saying anything profound about a deep subject

Thank you for allowing my reposts

regards

Dave Turton

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:55 pm

my apologies for a PS

I am not sure about the USA where you are based, but we in the UK dont like anonymity.. I have visited your website and it tells us nothing about the instructors or staff
also you have wrongly mixed the terms Self-Defence, Human Combat and Fighting.. and havent mention self-protection and personal safety.. the two first vital components

The Jury is still out in my mind regarding yourself and your 'system' .. I am prepared and more than happy to be proven wrong (I have been several times in the past) .. but my 53 years in the 'Combat' Arts has left me suspicious and skeptical

tell us more about yourself than appears on your profile ...
'firstactionsefdefencenet' is not a name nor really is it a good description of what you propagate on your website

again apologies and regards

I am after all a moderator on this site so felt the need to make a few comments

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Dave:

I now understand what you mean by the coverage of footwork. I id not claim to cover all footwork.. as per the title, it is basic footwork. And my claim is that for the system that I practice, it is sufficient.

Fighters positions is something that is used in FASD (First Action Self Defense). You will probably not see it anywhere else.

I wonder why you feel the need to post ten year old articles rather than re-vamp or upgrade them

My purpose is to get feedback form the community. I am reposting unedited, and will edit from comments. It is a learning tool for me.

The website is incomplete. There will be an 'about' page soon. Please refer to the home page about my opinion of the term of Self Defense

I did do a little 'about me' post.. ill cut and paste it into my profile.

How others judge me or my system is not a great concern to me. I do however, value others opinions/input on the subject of 'self defense' in general and what I feel is good I use, and the rest I disregard.

Thanks again David for taking the time to comment. Your opinions are greatly valued.
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Hmm, apparently you cant add more info to your profile.. heres what I was going to put (cut and pasted from another post)

I have 2 passions, *Self Defense and travelling. My eventual dream is to combine them by developing several training camps in different parts of the world.

I've been into martial arts since probably about 1990-ish. earlier I guess if you count watching old school ninja and kung fu movies then fisting it up with my big brother. I started travelling in around 2003... just working my way around.. mainly in outdoor recreation but also just whatever I can pick up (currently teaching english in china). I try to visit home (Australia) every few years for a month or so.

*I say self defense because I believe that true self defense is much more than fighting. It is about self preservation on all levels ie survival, fitness, escape etc

Well thats about the short of it.. if you want to know anything else feel free to ask..
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 am

thank you for that, albeit not complete

You dont mention any martial styles you have studied and to what levels
I am also skeptical that your Fighters positions being 'unique' to your own style.. maybe its just the name rather than any 'new' stances/postures

I admire that you say ask anything etc.. its good that you claim to be open etc

maybe you can post some youtube clips or something, or at least photos so we can see this style of yours

expect a couple of others questions soon

thank you

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:05 am

Fighters Position is not completely unique. A lot of FASD is derived from JKD. The FP stems from the OGP. Its basically the same.. but a bit simplified.

In fact.. probably 90% of FASD is taken from somewhere else. My main influences are JKD, Ju-Jitsu, BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai, Ninjitsu and Boxing, but there are bits and pieces from all over the place.

I actually would really like to study Systema and more Krav Maga also so hopefully I can incorporate some of those teaching in the future.

Perhaps next time Ill post something a bit more FASD substantial instead of generic technique type stuff so you can get a better idea of FASD theory... if your interested
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 am

FirstActionSelfDefensenet wrote:

Perhaps next time Ill post something a bit more FASD substantial instead of generic technique type stuff so you can get a better idea of FASD theory... if your interested

Yes,that would be good.
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2425
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 am

FirstActionSelfDefensenet wrote:Fighters Position is not completely unique. A lot of FASD is derived from JKD. The FP stems from the OGP. Its basically the same.. but a bit simplified.

In fact.. probably 90% of FASD is taken from somewhere else. My main influences are JKD, Ju-Jitsu, BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai, Ninjitsu and Boxing, but there are bits and pieces from all over the place.

I actually would really like to study Systema and more Krav Maga also so hopefully I can incorporate some of those teaching in the future.

I read Ninjitsu, JKD, Krav Maga and Systema...........and for that reason, I'm out Very Happy
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 am

Hey Govinda..

What style(s) are you into... and what is the caption underneath your avatar say?
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:37 am

FirstActionSelfDefensenet wrote:Hey Govinda..

What style(s) are you into... and what is the caption underneath your avatar say?

Hi there Wink my caption states " alcohol, sometimes there just isn't enough" re the weird looking bird in the pic...

I study no style but have tried them all in the past looking for the perfect art for SD purposes, sadly came to the conclusion that there is none, its all mindset and your appetite for violence that will see you through a confrontation but people don't want to admit that and so we see the endless crap being churned out for the gullible, by the gullible in most cases......I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way to get good at fighting is to fight.....I also teach this lesser known method to any and all who want to learn, I'm not a busy instructor affraid
GOVINDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:31 am

Hi again

I am still wondering why you havent posted your CREDENTIALS .. what grades or equivalent have you gained over your years.. you say you have taken aspects from several arts to formulate what you do .. has this been authenticated or ratified by any organisation etc etc

still questions without answers

I have to slightly disagree with Govinda here as I believe we have come fairly close to the best SD system with our SDF-MSC stystem.. I/we have been formulating and working on it for 40 years and do believe in it.

He is correct with the idea of mind set etc.. but you still need the tools to do the job

I hesitate to post the rest as I am sure you will consider what I post as 'blowing my own trumpet'.. but here goes with apologies if it seems self glorifying

I am nearly 65 years old with 53 years in the self-defence combat arts..
I am officially the highest genuine pure self-defence grade in Europe at 9th Dan
I head two organisations (amalgamated into one)
They are ASMAA (All Styles Martial Arts Association) and the SDF (Self-Defence Federation)
I have been inducted into the martial arts hall of fame and am considered by many (not by myself I need add) to be the leading UK authority on self-defence and self-protection...

Our organisation runs regular Self-Defence Instructors programmes and we have many clients in the security and Law enforcement sectors

My grades and those of my fellow directors and instructors are there on our website for all to see

so as I/we can be fully open and confirm and state our qualifications, why dont you sir

thank you with again apologies for the somewhat necessary self-glorification...

I am sure others on this forum will confirm my qualifications and status

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

GOVINDA wrote:its all mindset and your appetite for violence that will see you through a confrontation

Hey,

I agree that mindset is a massive part of it, but surely it is not everything. What happens if you both have that mindset. However unlikely it wold be, if everything else is equal, then the one that knows something extra will overcome.

Also, are you being serious abot having a lesser known method or are you taking the piss? If you are then Id love to know more about it..
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Dave,

I don't have any formal qualifications from any government bodies like you do (besides the run of the mill belt rankings from earlier years, which I do not believe in). To tell you the truth, apart from the fact that I havent really looked into it, I doubt there is a governing body that covers what I do.

The 'fighting' side of my system is only a part of what I 'preach', and I have no doubt that there are many systems out there that are superior to mine given the time and training.

The fighting system I train is meant to be as a last resort, but I believe that learning how to fight is absolutely a necessary survival skill for if others avenues of escape are not possible. So the training is designed to be as effective as possible so the practitioner can move onto other things (fitness, escape, evasion etc). I do not post those related things on this forum because they do not belong.

To be completly honest, i do not believe in credentials. If something works, it works. If it doesnt it doesnt. There doesnt need to be someone else to tell me (or you, or 'him') what does and doesnt work. When is comes down to it, if you are forced to fight, then you will know if you methods/training/gained knowledge has paid off because youll either be walking/running away or lying unconscious on the pavement.

Having said all that, I am a strong believer in continuous learning and I travel alot. Perhaps the next time im in the uk I can join one of your courses. Can you send me a link to your website?

FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 am

www.asmaa.org.uk

as for a governing body not covering what you do

we are NOT a governing body (never said so and never want to be to be honest)

But I bet we can find some similarities in what you do

The fitness evasions etc will certainly be part of any self-protection/self-defence site or system

we certainly teach lots of avoidance awareness and escape methods in our system/s

Usually people who do not believe in credentials are those who dont have them... I have trained long and hard for my certificates and ranks

and although I agree they may NOT be an essential, try getting Instructors Indemnity from a genuine Insurance Company here in the UK without some form of instructors credentials

I tried the non grade thing about 30 years ago and it failed because people need to SEE some form of both 'reward' for their efforts and a way of knowing how they can progress
how can your students progress without a structure ... it doesnt have to be a BELT system but some structure

and the fitness aspect is an irrelevancy to to the older and less fit members of society who cannot use fitness as as part of their safety training

Possibly the only person alive who could give some guarantee of 'running away' confidently would be Usain Bolt .. and he couldnt do it in a phone box

You would be welcome FREE on any self-defence seminar I am teaching on if, as and when you can make one in the future

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 pm

David Turton wrote:
You would be welcome FREE on any self-defence seminar I am teaching on if, as and when you can make one in the future

That's an offer you should take up next time you hit these shores FASD,it could well be the most important couple of hours in your martial arts "life".
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2425
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:06 pm

FirstActionSelfDefensenet wrote:
GOVINDA wrote:its all mindset and your appetite for violence that will see you through a confrontation

Hey,

I agree that mindset is a massive part of it, but surely it is not everything. What happens if you both have that mindset. However unlikely it wold be, if everything else is equal, then the one that knows something extra will overcome.

Also, are you being serious abot having a lesser known method or are you taking the piss? If you are then Id love to know more about it..

Its highly unlikely ime that the one who knows more techniques will win, that's for Hollywood mate, its more like the one who hits first will win, plus I find it hard to believe that 99% of folks like us will have the same mindset let alone be equal, that's why we are here, ask yourself.....will you stamp on the dudes head when he's down until he stops moving ? dickhead on the street will, its in his makeup.

.......about the lesser known method ? I'm taking the piss slightly, when I was teaching regularly we basically used to slug it out, try and find new angles, new ways of balancing etc etc so it was all over the place and very messy and scrappy, people were trying not to get hit and gain a good position to strike back etc etc.......not a lot of interest tbh though, people still want to wear pajamas or long to be GSP or listen to guys with whiteboards and markers for hours on end, which is fair enough Shocked
GOVINDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Thats a great offer.. I dont plan on being in the UK over the next year or so but if it still stands in 2 years time Ill definately take you up on it. I noticed there are branches all over the UK.. which one are you based in?

It was not my intention to sound like I do not respect credentials. I do. Anyone with the determination/persistance to gain recognition from their peers deserves the respect that goes with it. Insurance companies in Aust also require the same kind of thing, and they seemed to think that I was fit to 'teach'.

I agree with you about the grading. It is a good motivational tool. I do not/have not trained large groups in a 'martial arts school' type environment so it doesn't affect what I do. My main instruction experience is in once off courses. Occasionally I get people (one person/small groups) that want some kind of ongoing training and I do it for a month or so but then I move on ie travel. My courses teach them how to train themselves.. since my method doesn't aim to go 'in-depth', what they learn can be refined between themselves. I encourage them that if they want further knowledge to find a school

In any case, I think this conversation is getting way off the reason I have joined this forum. I am not here to proof myself. I wish to share FASD and get feedback from the community, as well as learn from the wealth of information that is no doubt present in this forum. If you have questions about FASD methods, and/or suggestions for improvement then I would love to discuss those ideas.

Govinda - Whats GSP?
FASD

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 am

Hi

I am based mainly at our Doncaster H/Q (South Yorkshire) ... modt of our main seminars are held there, but I do travel to other clubs to teach on seminars

the offer will stand for as long as it needs to .. you would be made welcome

David Turton

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:41 am

Govinda - Whats GSP?

Really ?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/ufc-154-georges-st-pierre-wins-1443576
GOVINDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top