Britain's most brutal race

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Britain's most brutal race

Post  tonyk on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:40 am

Posted this one mainly for Chris as I know he likes running and testing himself so this might interest him.

The Spine- 270 miles of snow,ice,high winds,darkness and the constant risk of hypothermia.The route follows the notorious Pennine Way in its entirety.The PW is hard enough at the best of times but at this time of the year it is something else.Brutal is probably the right desription.

http://www.thespinerace.com/

A friend of mine,who is 67,has just completed this race.His companion throughout most of the race was a tiny Peruvian woman who made up for lack of size with sheer guts and tenacity.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=391736297567498&set=a.391735504234244.78980.100001933922254&type=3&theater

Sadly they had to be taken off the main Cheviot Ridge 7 miles from the finish but were allowed to cover the last couple of miles on the road by themselves.Snow conditions were just too severe and they had spent Friday afternoon and evening fighting their way through blizzards and 60 mph winds.They had been without sleep for the previous 48 hours as they were trying to make up for time lost earlier in the event during last Monday's blizzards and were most likely out on their feet.As I understand it they found shelter on the ridge and sat out the storm before moving again early on Saturday morning and finally having to stop a little later due to unsafe snow conditions.Throughout the race temperatures were subzero with nightime temperatures as low as -10 to -15 on the tops and a serious risk of frostbite.A truly staggering event that only seventeen people have completed since the first race in 2012.Also a safe event that has never seen a casualty due to the professionalism of the organisers and full support of mountain rescue teams.

I never expected the guy to fail despite him being a bit uncertain the previous week.He was in the military for 28 years and has tenacity by the bucketful.The woman on the other hand is new to muliday events and is mainly a 100 mile trail runner,a long distance but not that hard to achieve provided you are determined enough.You just go straight through without sleep in around 30 hours so its over quite quickly.But in the Spine race she had to carry a 25lb pack which included enough kit to survive a couple of nights out on the fells.Considering her size its about the equivalent of an average guy carrying 40-45lbs,a real nasty load over 25 miles or more.The event is like doing the SAS long drag seven times in succession without a rest.A bit less weight most certainly but that has to be balanced by the,frozen terrain,extreme cold and lack of sleep.An awesome achievement that has set a new standard for women in extreme fell running.

Any takers? Don't all jump at once. Laughing

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Britain's most brutal race

Post  Nick Hughes on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 pm

damn...I saw the subject line and expected to log in to a thread about the Scots.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 am

Very very impressive. I am always blown away by the mental strength of endurance athletes.

Relatively little of the preparation is in the body and so much in the mind. I find the mental attributes of these types of achievers really interesting. The cast iron will is fascinating.

I am sorely tempted Primarily because I am completely certain that such an event would break me! Smile
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:49 am

It turned out a little different than I first thought.I only got the full story last night.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2013/01/20/rescuer-says-hats-off-to-runners-as-blizzard-hits-the-spine-end-stages

What the article dosen't mention is that Dave had to fight his way for 7 miles through 10ft high snow drifts in 60mph an hour winds and white out to lead his companions to safety.Both were terrified as they had never been in a mountain storm before and were on the point of cracking.He used a combination of encouragement,beasting and bullying to save their lives.The fact that the mountain rescue guys made heroic attempts to reach the hut and were forced back after 2 miles shows how difficult the task was but the army training kicked in and he went for it.Some going at 67 but he never considers age as a barrier to competing in these sort of events.What impressed me most was that his own GPS failed so he had to use the girls GPS,a device he wasn't familar with and had to quickly work out what the data was telling him.But they survived and lived to fight another day and he is coming back next year to get the job done.

Ultras aren't as hard as you think.If you had the tenacity to do your third dan grading you could get through a hundred miler and possible take on something like the Spine.I haven't done one for a decade but I think with training I would still see it through.It certainly hurts but you learn to let go of the pain and carry on.

tonyk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:08 pm

I've got a couple of them who train with me...in Feb one is doing a 100 miler the other is doing a 50. They are impressive (though not to look at Very Happy )

I remember talking with Lofty about he and one of his mates doing a escape and evasion exercise in Corsica years ago and running 100 miles non stop (by lying low for the first day the avoided the slowly closing circle of searchers). As he said, it's all in the mind.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:21 pm

It does sound like fun...
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 am

Mr Nobody wrote:It does sound like fun...

Provided that you love the feel of hypothermia in the morning. Laughing

tonyk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Indeed.

I am more of a summer person to be honest!
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:31 am

Is there a new definition of "fun" that I am not aware of?
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Socrates wrote:Is there a new definition of "fun" that I am not aware of?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4515638641815&set=pb.1016162228.-2207520000.1358972063&type=3&theater

Most certainly.The idea is to leave woman outside in a sleeping bag whilst the guys sleep in tents.It was only minus ten and I am quite sure she enjoyed basking in the morning sun.

tonyk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top