Perspective

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Perspective

Post  Chris on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 am

Hi all,

Something that has been nagging at me over the last few years is the idea of correct perspective.

There is a danger in becoming fixated in worst case scenarios and not adopting a greatest benefit attitude to our physical, emotional and mental wellbeing.

I cannot for a second discount the potential life altering impact of a violent event. Yet, all too often I see people who are quite happy to discuss at length the somewhat unlikely nightmareish events they fantastise about and not allocating some reasonable and sensible effort to baseline physical, mental and emotional wellbeing.

It is almost as if there is a gratuitous pleasure from immersion into a nightmare rather than a concentration on what positively can be done to make our own and others lives better.

I'm talking about a good diet. The cornerstone of good health. Monitoring and taking note of what we put into our bodies.
Physical activity. Moving more and gaining the pleasure and benefit of keeping your body in reasonable shape. Making it fitter and more capable.
Emotional wellbeing. Caring for and nurturing close relationships with family, partners and friends. Harvesting the benefit of a well balanced emotional core. The knowledge that you have cared for others and for yourself. The positive impact of knowing that you are cared for in return.

So much better to focus on these areas rather than the bogey-man in the shadows. I find too many people treating discussions of self protection and self defence as mental horror movies. Using those discussions to give life to the same thrills they get from watching Freddie Kruger and Jason Vorhees lunge out of the darkness to rip, maim and kill.

That's NOT reality. That is fantasy.

I am all for an understanding of self protection and self defence. I am completely and utterly behind the principle and philosophy that each adult should have the knowledge to act in defence of themselves and others. I am all for children being adequately prepared empowered wherever possible to act in their own protection. I am fundamentally against fear being used a fuel.

If you are an instructor then you should be balancing an understanding of what COULD happen and what is LIKELY to happen. Not confusing the two and making sure that learning is a positive and enlightening experience. Not one that drops your students into darkness.

Insecure people are easily manipulated. You feed on their fear by offerring them a silver bullet of protection and thrill them by outlining the most lurid possibilities. That development and nurishment of their fears is productive in that you are giving them what they want on one level so they will keep coming back. You are not giving them what they need.

You goal as a self protection, self defence instructor should be the day your student no longer needs you. The point in time when fear is no longer the driving force in their training. Then you can start to build on the confidence that you have hopefully instilled. You can put training into the correct perspective for those students who really need it the most.

I have trained with, trained under and continue to run sessions with guys who enjoy hard training. They love the bood, sweat and tears and the challenge of training in a certain way and with a certain ethos. I tell them the truth and have been told the truth in return. No fairy tales of evil forces hidden in the dark woods. If you want to give them reality, you have to give it all... not just the parts which are convenient of lucrative.
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Perspective

Post  bassmcqueen on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 am

Great post. You really hit it on the head with people that don't pay attention to this stuff:

"I'm talking about a good diet. The cornerstone of good health. Monitoring and taking note of what we put into our bodies.
Physical activity. Moving more and gaining the pleasure and benefit of keeping your body in reasonable shape. Making it fitter and more capable.Emotional wellbeing. Caring for and nurturing close relationships with family, partners and friends. Harvesting the benefit of a well balanced emotional core. The knowledge that you have cared for others and for yourself. The positive impact of knowing that you are cared for in return."

We've all seen the guys taking hours upon hours of gun training, but would most likely die of a heart attack because of a poor diet, no exercise, etc. These are the same people that only train to inflict trauma and do not get one minute of some type of medical training especially when the chances of rendering medical aid would be at a higher percentage than using any defensive skills that were learned.

bassmcqueen

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-02-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 am

Brilliant topic Chris!
Wayne Harrison

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-12-15

View user profile http://www.civilianpersonalprotection.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  roadkill on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:39 am

Really nice post, and accurate. I would think the simple answer to be, that none of that other stuff makes us cool, only functional. So therefore it is rarely discussed. Depending on the training hall.

I try to cover much of that with my younger students. The older... well, hard to start the eat your vegetables lecture them, though we do get into our conversations on nutrition and such. They get tired of hearing me tell them to avoid much of the processed crap that is so prevalent in our society. They think I'm a freak any way... no pizza, cheese, red meat, twinkies or the like for the last 3 years. However, I do allow myself as much beer as I want.

Just yesterday we were happy to discuss how coffee is good for you...again.... well at least for now. Very Happy

In the end you are right, but. I does depend on the instructor and the courses purpose and direction.
roadkill

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2007-05-02

View user profile http://www.comegetyousome.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 pm

I do try to have some standards also. Try to stay away from ready meals and go for the 'real' stuff... innocent fruit juce and the like and don't have chocolate many crisps or the like in the house and limit my drinking to weekends and the like.
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:00 pm

spot on Chris and a timely reminder to all of us

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.asmaa.org.uk