Space, Distance and Time

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Space, Distance and Time

Post  Chris on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 am

GOVINDA wrote:
David Turton wrote:you MAKE IT .. you get what you can by first 'accepting the attack'... that is the FACT that you are being attacked and take what you are given and change it to something else

To easy, probably some of the time it could work like that,.......maybe, depends who's attacking I guess, for someone who knows how to rob you (career predator, seasoned street fighter) I doubt you'd have a chance to blink never mind re-position yourself..........no doubt though someone will have a dvd on this very subject Rolling Eyes

Gov/Jag

as per my original post. I never state that you will always be in the position of controlling Space, Distance and Time. I say that an understanding of their importance is key and that when you do NOT have control your primary focus must in gaining that dominance.

There is always an opportunity to exerise a measure of control over elements of space, distance and time because you control your own positioning and movement. It is also a truth that nobody can meterialise out of thin air so the OPPORTUNITY is always there but perhaps not the recognition of the threat which would prompt action.
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Point taken Chris, I guess I just figure worst case scenarios into everything Embarassed
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:20 am

if you DO train and study, as you state "the worst case scenarios" then at least your 'skills' and mental aspects will be able to latch on to this, and do SOMETHING about it.

Its not 'TOO EASY' as a statement... and its not just PRE attack that you can start to control these elements, you can also do so UNDER attack... these three elements are there from initial to end parts of an assault....

they are aspects that occur in assaults and of course they can be very hard to achieve..

OK a mugger hiding behind something who suddenly 'leas' out can be adaunting and difficult prospect... but by doing your best to 'train' in the flinch response and other aspects, you can at least make some inroads into taking control of these principles away from your attacker

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  rasdj on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Expanding this out slightly. I'm intrigued with how this interacts with the pre-contact phase. There are (simplified for symmetry) three stages before attack, Selection, Interview & Attack. These three can perhaps been seen as what happens in the A[ttack] part and controlling this is how you survive. I don't have much more to add at the moment, plus there lots more of you experienced guys who can expound on this. I just think that understanding the inter-relations between pre-contact and when you're in the thick of it sets up a nice framework for thinking and perhaps evaluating your self-protection response.
rasdj

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  combatnige on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 am

David Turton wrote:also, with regards to these three concepts... dont forget as well as you trying to control them, your opponent/s will also be trying to control them

you have to take that control away from him/them and make them your own

Dave, I agree with that, however an 'untrained' attacker would (probably) be doing this at a subconscious level, a bit like catching a ball, our brains do the calculations re time, speed, distance, and we stick out our hands.

Would it be fair to say that anyone who has trained, and trained well would do this at both the subconscious and conscious level, taking in any other factors such as weapons (shown or hidden), numbers of attackers, or potential attackers once you have dealt with the threat (ie his mates), escape routes, how much grip our shoes give on whatever surface we are standing on etc.

combatnige

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2009-04-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:13 am

humans are always able to 'add' instincts to training, although instinctive movemenst will usually come first

however as an analogy, take a paramedic on holiday on thebeach in Ibiza who witnesses someone 'fainting', their 'natural' ability to help someone in distress coupled with training will enable them to act faster and more efficiently

we are just the same in times of danger

our 'automatic' defensive mechanisms will couple themselves with 'learned' abilities to make us safer if possible

for example we all have to learn to swim, but jumping from a fire into a river would be 'easier' if we could swim and a greater choice if we couldnt

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top