Switching to "SouthPaw"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Switching to "SouthPaw"

Post  Ade on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:48 am

I've always been fairly ambidextrous,i.e. i can box either way round....but when it comes to big shots it's been right hand all the way.

I've been trying to sort out the body mechanics for big shots with my left (my right hand is no good anymore),but i just can't get a reasonable double hip type movement (for example) for my left side...which is frustrating Mad

I'm ok with what i'd call a "short twist" to generate power for my left,which is fairly effective.(i've been reinforcing this movement with TGU's just to the sitting position)

so,my choices:

Keep struggling with the big power generation moves like double hip,etc...

or keep refining the shorter,less effective (but better "dialled in") methods confused

just a few thoughts......
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Switching to "SouthPaw"

Post  David Turton on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:54 am

dont bother mate
when the shit hits the fan, you will use what is natural first ... "instinct overcomes training" most times

when you strike without 'thought' you will always use the most natural strike first, its ony when we 'train' that we try stuff that probably wont come out when its 'real'

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Thanks Dave,that's kind of the way i was thinking...cheers mate Smile
Ade
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm

David Turton wrote:when you strike without 'thought' you will always use the most natural strike first, its ony when we 'train' that we try stuff that probably wont come out when its 'real'

Very Happy
FASD

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-13

View user profile http://firstactionselfdefense.net

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Just practice mate, stick your right in in your pocket or wherever........you can't always be sure you right hand will be free in a confrontation, don't limit yourself Wink
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Dave,

I have to disagree mate regarding "instinct overcomes training." If that's the case, why train at all?

It's instinctive to run and scream when you're on fire but we train people to stop drop and roll - and they do, and they don't practice it ten thousand times to get there either.

It's instinctive to slam brakes on going into a corner too fast, trained drivers turn the wheel into the skid and regain control...I've done it myself a ton of times driving on icy roads over here.

What about swimming. Throw an untrained person into the water and instinctively they drown. We train them to swim and they do so, to safety, all day, all over the world.

Why can the trained driver, the trained swimmer, and the trained fireman pull these off under stress but martial artist can't?

Training will absolutely overcome instinct - and I'm not going to belabour the point but I could give a hundred more examples from the worlds of shooting, bodyguarding and the military especially.

Regards

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FASD on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Nick Hughes wrote:Dave,

"instinct overcomes training." If that's the case, why train at all?

I agree with Nick. When we train, with enough repetitiveness we are inducing into our muscle memory what we wish to become our instinctive movement.

when you strike without 'thought' you will always use the most natural strike first

Fact

its only when we 'train' that we try stuff that probably wont come out when its 'real'

I think i might have got the wrong idea about this statement when I first read it. Training seems to be a good time to test out new things, then if you wish to make it part of your muscle memory, keep practicing it until you get to that level.
FASD

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-13

View user profile http://firstactionselfdefense.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:27 am

Before this degenerates into the whole training vs instinct/trained vs untrained debate it's worth pointing out that the "instinctive" ,"natural","without thought" reaction we are mulling over here is in fact a very well drilled,and time served,way of using my left.
My whole point is/was that i've been trying to alter the way i "throw" a left,to give it more of a "haymaker" effect....to compensate for losing some of the function of my right hand.

The bottom line is: Do i try to retrain my left for the big hit,or do i just keep doing what i've been doing with it for some 30 odd years,which in itself is very effective.

I read Dave's reply as "keep doing what you are doing,it works"

There,can i have some breakfast now? Laughing
Ade
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am

If you want some inspiration, here are some one-handed martial artists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnQhtZuJxQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjcozWSvpjs
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Ade, why not do both and then choose which one you want to use depending on the situation you're in. I'm always confused when martial artists think they have to learn only one way to throw something. I throw my right like a boxer sometimes, like a karateka in other instances and sometimes I'll toy round with the wing chun version.

If you watch me sparring sometimes you'll see me do almost pure boxing, other times karate, sometimes Judo/ju-jitsu...

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 am

It's more a case of finding techs that my "limitations" will allow...and that won't mess me up for days afterwards Suspect

Ironically,i know that if it comes to it all of this "re-training the left to preserve the right" will go straight out of the window....i just hope that if it does happen that the right hand does more damage to it's target than it does to itself Wink
Ade
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  combatnige on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:44 am

I'm right handed, but am southpaw

combatnige

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2009-04-21