How relevant is your training ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How relevant is your training ?

Post  GOVINDA on Fri May 11, 2012 3:21 am

I asked this on Fb,

How relevant is your training if you have never been attacked ? and surely are the true masters of SD not the guys out there fighting every fri and sat nights ? the same guys we try to avoid ?
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How relevant is your training ?

Post  Chris on Fri May 11, 2012 4:11 am

There is still relevance in training Gov. In the same way as someone who is learning to drive does so to avoid accidents we can train within SD or SP with that same mentality.

You don't have to smash the car into a wall to learn how not to drive into walls. It's more important to learn how NOT to have the accident in the first place.

I take your point that if I am talking to someone about SP/SD and they have had a thousand bouts of fisticuffs on a weekend night then unless they are in a profession which forces contact upon them from time to time then they aren't the guys I want to be talking to. They are the problem, not the solution.

That said, I can still learn from them. Know your enemy and all that good stuff.

Sit me down with a twelve year old who is bullied every day at school and I will learn more about good self protection and self defence than if I sat with a hundred so called "hard men"
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Fri May 11, 2012 9:39 am

Chris wrote:There is still relevance in training Gov. In the same way as someone who is learning to drive does so to avoid accidents we can train within SD or SP with that same mentality.

You don't have to smash the car into a wall to learn how not to drive into walls. It's more important to learn how NOT to have the accident in the first place.

I take your point that if I am talking to someone about SP/SD and they have had a thousand bouts of fisticuffs on a weekend night then unless they are in a profession which forces contact upon them from time to time then they aren't the guys I want to be talking to. They are the problem, not the solution.

That said, I can still learn from them. Know your enemy and all that good stuff.

Sit me down with a twelve year old who is bullied every day at school and I will learn more about good self protection and self defence than if I sat with a hundred so called "hard men"

Ah anoligies Very Happy makes everything seem ok lol, good answer though, cheers !
GOVINDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Mon May 14, 2012 9:02 pm

I used to think you should have experience (and I still think it's a big plus) but it's definitely not necessary. Case in point...I have several friends here who teach people how to shoot who've never been in a gun fight. A couple of their students have though and they did just fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think when the UK went to the Falklands there was talk there of the fact that none of the instructors (of both h2h and shooting) had actually been to war anywhere....methinks their students did just fine. Very Happy

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Tue May 15, 2012 3:18 am

Nick Hughes wrote:I used to think you should have experience (and I still think it's a big plus) but it's definitely not necessary. Case in point...I have several friends here who teach people how to shoot who've never been in a gun fight. A couple of their students have though and they did just fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think when the UK went to the Falklands there was talk there of the fact that none of the instructors (of both h2h and shooting) had actually been to war anywhere....methinks their students did just fine. Very Happy

Nick

Great answer also, so you would basically agree but argue that there are exceptions to the rule.....

Ps you cant really compare the BA to the Argentine Forces Very Happy
GOVINDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura on Tue May 15, 2012 6:14 am

Having 'experience' seems to be a big plus to most punters, but experience is specific.

Most people like to hear that people have military experience so that they feel conected to something real
http://www.leadershipma.co.uk/about/

Or were a bouncer, but are these that relevant to personal protection?

How can you say that someone has experience in that field? Maybe people are looking for the magic bullet to much and need to read more and question things.

Don't assume your teacher has all the answers, don't trust blindly.

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Tue May 15, 2012 6:40 am

"Don't assume your teacher has all the answers, don't trust blindly."

Sort of my point lol Very Happy but I can see a two sided coin also, cheers.
GOVINDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:02 pm

I think a big key to this is who has the non-experienced instructor trained with?

Going back to Falklands example...the instructors had knowledge passed down to them by guys who at some point had done the business so, provided they imparted that knowledge the way it was imparted to them, it would work. (and it did).

In martial arts circles we have far too many examples of the blind leading the blind. Not to give the clown any more publicity than he already seeks but take Kkkaaarl as an example. Here is a largely self taught buffoon who at one pointed admitted to learning a technique from watching animal shows. Should he ever produce a student who then goes on to teach *shudder* then that would be an example of irrelevance in training if ever there was one.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Which animal was it Nick? My money's on the duck billed platypus.
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  combatnige on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:19 am

Dodo ??

combatnige

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2009-04-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:18 pm

GOVINDA wrote:

How relevant is your training if you have never been attacked ?

it gotta be a plus to have experienced in real life what one teaches. either technique or scenario. The value in the system will come from it's creator, who must be honest with himself using his own experience of the subject specific he's teaching. which leads me to say...

GOVINDA wrote:
and surely are the true masters of SD not the guys out there fighting every fri and sat nights ? the same guys we try to avoid ?

depends what is meant by SD. an individual protecting himself, or preventing is one thing. relaying this into a teaching format is another. Takes a bit of sitting down, analyzing.

someone on drugs or drink, or even a nutter plain and simple may have the street smarts and reflexes/athleticism, but wouldn't really fall under the banner of SD, cause they're troublemakers? I guess a 'master of SD' simply would not be in position that they need to fight every weekend such as we're talking bout.

warmest wishes

Wayne
Wayne Harrison

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-12-15

View user profile http://www.civilianpersonalprotection.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 pm

My training isn't relevent at all at the moment. I go to the gym a couple times a week and bray the crap out of the punch bag and make sure I do a few rounds without gloves just to keep my mindset in. I try to do some simple drills that can be perfomed on the bag but everything else I do is purely for fitness and well being.
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:25 pm

it's a really good point for us to remember that SD doesnt just have to be about combat. But looking after oneself, in real time, in various ways. your life experiences, even current can all be applied to teaching/helping others. at least that's the way i view my life, Smile
Wayne Harrison

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:28 am

Its odd that I went to the gym and started on the old running machines and that and free weights and of course the punch bag. Its not gotten to the point that I spend the vast majority of my time doing cardio and resistance training in the fitness suite and ignore most of the machines...

I've come to the conclusion that I just like hitting things.

I have to point out something a Kung Fu instructor of mine said many years ago in that if you're doing a martial art purely to be a better figher then you're probably wasting time and money as if you have any sense you might get into two fights in your life, unless you work in security or law enforcement or what have you. He went on to say that a martial art should better you in more ways than just combat...
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:38 am

Jagunco wrote:He went on to say that a martial art should better you in more ways than just combat...

Definitely mate. Any form of combat, like the RBSD systems, can offer the same. Things like the law on self defense can be used as our morals, and conduct for living if it's looked at deep enough. There's often tooo much focus on violence, when it's not really about being violent.

warmest wishes

Wayne
Wayne Harrison

Back to top Go down

Post  David Turton on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:57 am

You can get too deep in the spirituality and morality of the martial arts etc.

To me it just seems that those people who are willing to train hard in ANY style are just less likely to be aggressive violent people in their lives... its almost just a natural by product.

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.asmaa.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:52 am

David Turton wrote:You can get too deep in the spirituality and morality of the martial arts etc.

If it's at the expense of the combat aspect of the system (for real life), i'm with ya on that.

David Turton wrote:
To me it just seems that those people who are willing to train hard in ANY style are just less likely to be aggressive violent people in their lives... its almost just a natural by product.

Definitely. Any discipline can create, erm, discipline, lol.

warmest wishes

Wayne
Wayne Harrison

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve bungle on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:45 am

To be honest my training is mainly "sporting" attribute type training...i hit the bag/pads, i spar heavy and grapple and always has been. The only thing i do that would be classed as "relevant" for the street is to work line ups/pre-emptive strikes on the bag.

I have used pre-emptive strikes countless times with various degrees of success, if they've failed i switch to instinct to get through.
Steve bungle

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-02-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top