3 hours with a beginner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3 hours with a beginner

Post  Ade on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Hypothetically...

you've got a three hour seminar with a small class of complete beginners...or 3 one hour sessions with the same group.

where do you begin?

what do you teach them in this limited time frame?

and why these choices?

(personally i'd go with about 75% soft skills and the remainder would be 3-4 simple techniques,maybe palm fist elbow knee,drilled in different applications)
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 hours with a beginner

Post  Socrates on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:10 am

If they are really complete beginners, one technique done well should be enough...
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:07 am

I would try three techniques, ending with putting them together, throw some scenario training in to keep them involved.....
GOVINDA

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:11 am

Soc,Govinda,what techniques would you choose?
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 am

Power slap?
Socrates

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:57 am

For me the three basics of most Combatives, the slap, palm strike and hammer fist, or something based on them, leading to using all three in a combination, from the fence, as said a little bit of role play to keep them laughing, or as I have seen can be an eye opener to some ! Dialogue thrown in can be really useful, we actually use the whole, " what the fcuk are you looking at" or the "are looking at my girl" type stuff, resulting in an attack.......
GOVINDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theycallme-Sam on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 am

If they are absolute complete beginners then i'd start off by making sure they know how to throw a punch correctly, then move on to palm strikes and slaps.

First hour - pad work the above.
By no means does it need to be of a pro boxing standard but it will give you chance to evaluate their individual abilities. If one of them can't hit their way out of a wet paperbag then they may need to use different tactics, poking in eyes etc to improve their chances of self protection in a real situation.

2nd hour - fence / distancing / dissausion (spelling??)

3rd hour - preemptive striking from fence / scenario based training

theycallme-Sam

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:16 am

I changed my mind. Dominant hand hammer fists are probably the easiest blow for someone to learn in a short time. Focus on holding the fist tight and repeating with aggression. You can do them on the heavy bag, on the pads and from the fence. You could also get them to sometimes grab onto clothes with the other hand.
Socrates

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:37 am

I think I'd go with Ade, most of the time soft sklills. Awareness and avoidance will serve them much better than anything else. Then prob palm heel and hammerfist. Depends on the person though, their background and their confidence........

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 am

Provided they don't work in the security industry I would take them for a walk around the town,possibly call in one or two rough pubs for a drink.point out people who have never trained going about their daily business and then ask them what they are so worried about.People sign up to these short courses for a variety of reasons and the last one is usually the fear of being attacked.Usually it is lack of confidence and insecurity that sends people in this direction.in my case it was and it is the reason I joined a dojo when I was sixteen.Add on all the modern special forces crap and it makes the insecure feel strong.So I would want to find out why people decide to train and if its for the wrong reasons try and steer them in a direction that is more appropriate.Obviously you aren't going to make any money doing this but you might prevent someone blundering their way into a fight they would have previously walked away from.Short crash courses are all about bolstering people's egos so they feel good about themselves.

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GOVINDA on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:17 am

Very Happy
GOVINDA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:04 pm

aside conditioning mentally & physically for functional combat which is in all my classes -

motorbike helmets & open palm full contact on the head always works for me. I use hammer fist also, though it is 4 1 hour sessions for all this.
Wayne Harrison

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-12-15

View user profile http://www.civilianpersonalprotection.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Tony: Mate, while there's some truth in what you say I can't say I agree with all of it. You're lumping an awful lot of people into one big category that hasn't been my experience at all.

Most people who turn up to my seminars, classes etc have come to realize that the world can be a dangerous place and they've also realized they're not capable of dealing with it. What they're hoping for is to learn some stuff that will help them survive that in the unlikely event they're attacked.

People learn first aid and how to swim for the same reasons. While it's unlikely they'll ever be caught in a flash flood or fall off a cruise ship they'd still like to know how to survive it because not knowing gives you know way out. You're just going to be a victim.

As for the allegation they're going to get into fights because they think they know how, empirical evidence wouldn't bear this out. Do people who learn to do first aid suddenly start throwing themselves off ladders at home because they now know what to do? Do they purposely rear end people because they've got their seat belts on. Do they jump into flooded streams 'cause they know how to swim? Not sure but I don't think so.

As for the three hour class whoever said it would vary depending on who was in the class had it right in my opinion. If I've got 3 hrs to work with a bunch of Legion paras it's going to be all technique driven. If it's 3 hrs of a bunch of female real estate agents it's going to be completely different stuff than what the Paras got shown and that would be different again if I was teaching a bunch of old age pensioners. Very much a case of one size does not fit all.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top