Change in Assault sentencing guidelines.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Change in Assault sentencing guidelines.

Post  Chris on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:54 am

Hey all,

Just a heads up. Here in the UK there has been a change in the sentencing guidelines for Assault.

Bottom line, if you are convicted of an assault in the Magistrates Court the judges sitting on the bench now have a checklist to work through which will determine the severity of the sentence. This can lead to some unexpected outcomes and in my opinion I feel the likelihood is that you will receive a heavier sentence now than you would have prior to the changes.

The rules on self defence still hold sway. You can do anything and everything you could do before these changes but you need to be aware that should you be found guilty of an assault you may face a stiffer sentence. Be switched on to the level of damage you are inflicting wherever possible.

any questions just ask.
Chris
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Change in Assault sentencing guidelines.

Post  Dave on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:05 am

It once again makes me think that the changes in the sentencing are trying to dissuade people from assaulting others. It will only make decent people worry about the possible outcome of being involved in a conflict situation. It will not, and never has, worried the typical scumbag, robber, yob, for who prison holds no fear.

The change does however make me feel better when I think that when these yobs are convicted there is a chance that they will spend more time in prison. Not because prison is such a scary place for them. But because decent people may have more yob free time to go about their everyday business.
Dave

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2006-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:46 am

Thanks for the heads up Chris.

Am I right that the laws of changed so threatening someone with a knife now carries a compulsory custodial sentence?
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:06 pm

Let me add my "well done that man" for putting this up. Important info for everyone in the UK involved in self defense/protection training.

N
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:34 am

Peter wrote:Thanks for the heads up Chris.

Am I right that the laws of changed so threatening someone with a knife now carries a compulsory custodial sentence?

Hey Peter,

Sentencing guidelines are being changed. It has long been expected that mandatory sentences will be used for adults found guilty of offences where a knife is used to threaten or harm a victim. What is changing is the extension of that mentality to juveniles. Now if you are 16 or 17 years old and are found guilty of an offence where a blade is an aggravating feature you will be looking at a mandatory four month custodial sentence.

Factor in reductions for a guilty plea and other sentence reduction methods and I doubt anyone of those 16 or 17 year olds will actually spend much more than 8 weeks behind bars.

That said, I really think the Home Office is genuinely trying to deter the carriage and use of weapons by criminals. I don't see that they can really do a great deal more than say, "if you use a weapon that makes you a scumbag and we're potentially going to hit you harder than if no weapon was involved. Makes sense to me.

cheers
Chris

Chris

Number of posts : 2042

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top