Gym Routine.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gym Routine.

Post  Buster on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:52 am

Hi all

My missus noticed a great deal on joint membership at my local Globo gym,so we have signed up.

I had hopes of running the Starting Strength programme but the gyms lack of equipment is going to prevent this. They dont have power racks or olympic barbells/plates.
Equipment they do have includes:

Squat stands
Bench press.
Standard bars/plates
Chin up bar
Cable crossover/lat pulldown thingy
Heavy dumbells

I wouldnt feel comfortable back squatting without a powerrack so would have to be front squats.

I can press from squat stands.

I can deadlift but i have no idea of the weight of the bar and how much weight it could take.

I dont know how i would feel about benching without spotters,the gym staff dont supervise the weight room apart from a dusty old CCTV camera in the corner.

I was going to programme it with a straight swap of front squats for back but i'm not sure if thats best?

Would you guys do anything different with the equipment limitations i have.

I'm looking at 3 days a week at the gym to build strength/size.

Cheers

Buster
Buster

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile http://www.crossfitclinic.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gym Routine.

Post  Ade on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:03 am

I'm looking at 3 days a week at the gym to build strength/size.

Think back to "Brawn" Buster.

Mon:dumbell squats

weds: a press of some sort

fri: a heavy row

maybe?...
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2425

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:44 am

Try Southwood: http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/18793/
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks guys.

Spoke to my missus and she hasnt paid the membership yet so at least i wont be paying to use a gym that doesnt have exactly have the equipment i want,i'm being picky here but i was buzzing about doing starting strength till i found out i had to modify the programme.

My missus spoke to the gym whilst i was at work and found out i can pay per session so going to just go with one full body session in the gym supplemented with stuff at my Hobo gym.

Ade your dumbell squats idea is top notch,no spinal loading and hammering the grip and legs at the same time,nice,the dumbells look pretty heavy in there so this could be fun.

Going to look at a full body session on my gym day.

Couple thoughts

Dumbell squats
Goblet squat
Bulgarian split squat
Single leg deadlift
Chins
Dumbell bench
Dumbell row
Half tgu's (not much room in gym)

I think the above would kick my ass and i would try to move as much iron as possible.

Any other thoughts guys?

Thanks

Buster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:23 pm

For strength, I would do more of less Buster. One of Mike Mahlers principles is to have 5 exercises: a lower body press and pull, and upper body press and pull and a core exercise and do this 3 - 4 x a week depending on the program.

Stick with squats, front or rear, increase the weight and do a high number of sets (minimum 5) with a low number of reps (maximum 5).

And do deadlifts or KB swings as well to complete lower body work.

For upper body you may want to change them around over the week, so try bench press, shoulder press, bent over rows, renegade rows, pull ups etc. Same with lower body exercises, you can change them around to lunges and KB snatches too.

Core work is up to you but I like TGU's and windmills which are generally KB exercises but can be done with dumbells.

I haven't used conventional weights for a long time as all my resistance training is done with KB's but I hope this helps.
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:32 am

Personally, I do best picking three exercises and working the hell out of them for three to four weeks; deloading with the PM for a week; then picking another three exercises and working the hell out of them for another three to four weeks.

Three exercises that go well together are power cleans, push presses and front squats. Load the push presses and front squats with a power clean. Another good combination involves trap bar deadlifts (or back squats), dumbbell / kettlebell side presses (or military presses) and high-rep kettlebell swings. You could also try high-rep goblet squats, deadlifts and barbell military presses. If you want to try another combination, pick a push, a pull/hinge and a squat.

Start the cycle with moderate weights and try to add a little weight every session. Think two to three sets of three to five reps and add or subtract as needed. Think singles or doubles for the deadlifts. For the swings or goblet squats, use the same bell, but add reps and / or cut rest time.

For a warmup, you can jump rope for a minute or two, do a set or two of Turkish getups, goblet squats (or bodyweight squats), pushups and pullups. Maybe try some neck bridges too.

If you want to do a finisher, you could try a farmer's walk with the heaviest dumbbells in the gym or some rope pullups.

The main thing is get in and out of the gym in less than an hour. Hit it with lots of energy and enthusiasm and leave with some gas in the tank. Have a shake, a contrast shower and make sure you go to bed early.
Socrates

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:37 am

Guys there are some real gems here,awesome stuff.

I still haven't made up my mind to join or not,i have tweaked my back again,i was going to take a sabbatical from lifting heavy things and get my posture/muscle imbalances fixed. The part of the gym that my missus attends has all the usual cardio equipment including a Concept 2 plus an adjustable bench with dumbells going up to 15kgs.It also has a stretching area with swiss balls and foam rollers.

I was thinking of getting my cardio up and working on my form with lighter weights as well as incoparating some bodyweight movements.the unilateral aspect of using dumbells may also be of benefit.

I'm going to shut up now and stop asking so many questions and just do the goddamm work,i will report back in a few months and let you know how things are going.

Thanks for all your advice.

BUSTER
Buster

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:30 am

There´s a great quote from General Patton: "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
Socrates

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:06 am

I kettlebell routine I like for strength is, using challenging weights, 5X Double swing 5X Double Press and 5X Squat do that three times and you'll feel it
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi guys

Ended up getting that globo gym membership and im loving it,i'm still in the upstairs gym with cardio,machines and dumbells from 2kg to 17kg and a adjustable bench.

Been running a bodypart a day with work on the concept 2 for the legs and ticker.

Mon-Back
Straight arm pulldown
Palms facing pulldown
Cable rows

Tues-Chest
Db bench press
Pec deck
Pushup variants

Wed-Arms
Cable curl
Tricep pushdow
Incline db curl
Tricep bench dip

Fri-Shoulders
Curl n press
Double db press
High rep front raise
High rep lateral raise

Buster

Buster

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:45 pm

I have run the above for a while now and as of next wk i'm moving to a push,pull and squat routine with a day of cardio,abs and arms.

Mon-Legs
Goblet squat
Db squat
DB Bulgarian squat

Tues- Cardio
Intervals or distance Concept 2,abs and arms

Wed- Pull
Chins
Bent over row
Straight arm pulldowns

Fri-Push
Db bench press
See saw press
Pushup variants

Iv not decided what rep scheme im goin to use,i have been using one or two hard sets with a third balls out so might just continue with that.

Any thoughts guys?

Buster.
I have run the above for a while now and as of next wk i'm moving to a push,pull and squat routine with a day of cardio,abs and arms.

Mon-Legs
Goblet squat
Db squat
DB Bulgarian squat

Tues- Cardio
Intervals or distance Concept 2,abs and arms

Wed- Pull
Chins
Bent over row
Straight arm pulldowns

Fri-Push
Db bench press
See saw press
Pushup variants

Iv not decided what rep scheme im goin to use,i have been using one or two hard sets with a third balls out so might just continue with that.

Any thoughts guys?

Buster.

Buster

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdc-vnllr7M&list=UUstfJeiJJvri9duUl9DktaQ&index=1&feature=plcp

This is the type of workouts i have been doing recently, ore details can be found on my blog below.

I would appreciate any constructive comments on form and feel free to discuss my ass........you know you want to Very Happy

BUSTER
Buster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:40 am

I recently started at the gym again so thought I'd repost here

Its a simple routine but I think it does the job

first half hour cardio... either a steady run of about 5k then a five minute walk and light upper body

Or a famers walk on a steep incline and a steady pace... normally about one mile. Followed by sprints on a steep incline.

After that stretches, I make sure I get a goodly amount of time on this.

After this upper body weights and then abs, perhaps not in that order

I try to mix it up as much as possible doing different things every time I go but making usre I'm hitting the groups I want to. I do try to make all the weights free weights though rather than machines. But if I do heavy and few one time a week I'll do high rep and light the next time.

I got to admit I've been off the weights lately due to a pretty bad back spasam so I've been working more on running press ups and pilates. Intend to get back on the weights soon though
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top