dietians and nutitiolists and what have you.... worth it???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

dietians and nutitiolists and what have you.... worth it???

Post  Jagunco on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:51 pm

I fear I may be asking another silly question here but I must ask.

I'm wanting to chisel the old body a bit. I'm fairly happy with my fitness atm, its not great but it's coming on but frankly I haven't really curbed my weekend boozing or made much effort with a diet. however I've noticed my belly is now hanging over my belt and I'm probably at the highest weight of my life currently.

Anyhoo I'm planning to after the next long weekend to stop the pop and work on toning up a bit. My exercise routine is good enough I think I'm happy doing the kettlebells atm and in fact I'm keen to do a few more classes a week so don't need help there. Also planning to get into the swimming and cycling again.

The thing I was wondering about is the diet and so I'm wondering if its worth consulting a dietitian to help the process. I'm leery to be honest cos I don't want to part with the money but I really wouldn't mind a structured diet to go on to speed up things.

Anyone any experiences in such areas? Or should I just cut back on the Guinness and bacon butties and put some graft in?
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: dietians and nutitiolists and what have you.... worth it???

Post  Peter on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:45 pm

You could pay someone your money to work out a diet for you Jagunco but you would still need to do the preparation of said diet and all the planning, shopping, cooking in advance etc that would entail and I would suggest your chances of sticking to the purchased diet plan to be slim. I say this because you have a busy lifestyle I believe and the extra time it would take to prepare the preplanned diet would soon, out of logistical necesity get put on the back burner to be started again when you had more time. Am I right?

You have been in training long enough fella, you know what needs to be done and I am in the same boat mate. The new bike leathers I bought last year didn't really shrink in the months I didn't wear them as I announced when I had great difficulty getting them fastened recently. I had aquired a gut. I am doing something about it now. Like you I train a fair bit so that wasn't the issue so:

The big things are to eat breakfast (I tend to eat fruit and yoghurt or toast with honey, sometimes both!), don't buy crap during the day because that is what is handy but rather plan a little and take food with you, I keep an emergency box of porridge at work so if I need to eat and I didn't make any lunch I can quickly microwave some porridge rather than nip to Greggs intending to get a ham salad sandwich (no mayo of course) and then getting seduced by steak pies instead. Sound familiar or is that just me? Another great thing I recently got was a slow cooker. It takes moments to chuck some meat, onions and carrots in it in the morning and coming home to a lovely meal ready cooked is fantastic. Just microwave a bag of frozen veggies and you you are good to gol. After this I usually treat myself to a few squares of Bournville with a nice cup of coffee.

What I have written above is by no means a great diet plan but I have dropped half a stone already just because I stopped buying food on the go.

I don't mean to be insulting at all by the above I just suspect we have similar time constraints and have fallen into the same habits?

Alternatively, if you are wanting a diet for a serious and specific reason such as bodybuilding then you need to plan and do all the work that would entail. In that case a dietician may be the route but if not then just a little forethought and the changes I made will suffice.
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 pm

You are correct mate in that I have let myself go over the last few years but for a month I've been sticking into the kettlebells as I say and its paying off and the definition in my arms is coming back. Alas though not in my gut lol

You are also correct in may other assumptions in that it is easy to just say I'm off to the works canteen and eating their stodge and such. My biggest enemy is Guinness though. I try not to drink through the week but I can easily get through 14 to 18 can's on a weekend and the top and the bottom of this is it has to stop. Also because I've started performing at buskers and open mike nights I tend to fall back onto the Dutch courage before I get up. Basically I need to moderate this a lot.

My normal diet isn't to bad but I fall foul of visiting my mother for a lot of meals and she lays out a considerable spread.

But yeah I must admit I was impressed by how accurate a lot of what you said was about flaking out and getting a pasty lol

BTW what's the north east training scene like atm? I'm a bit out the loop.
Jagunco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:42 am

Send me a PM, mate, and I will send you my address. You really need my top-secret Drink Less Beer diet. The retail price is 5,000 quid, but with the forumite discount, it is just 999 pounds plus 99 pence. I will send you the details as soon as your cheque clears. I can guarantee it will work!
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 am

I didn't get the PM Razz Razz Razz
Jagunco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm not a drinker at all, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Guiness isn't a beer is it?
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Guiness is a stout which means it is the darkest and "stoutest" type of beer. It also contains 210 calories a pint and over 18 grams of carbs so it isn't perhaps the ideal drink if you want to lose fat, especially if you are downing a few and the inevitable doner kebab aftwerwards!

Guiness does seem to have certain health benefits, it contains a lot of vitamins and iron I believe.
Peter
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:24 pm

I'd heard it had health benefits too, however I'll continue being a non-drinker I think.

tongue
Mr Nobody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:13 am

They used to give it to people after they had donated blood, but for some reason, stopped. Very Happy

You probably don't need to go to a dietician, you know what to do, as Ade says, doing it is the hard bit!

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake331 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:07 am

has anyone looked at this
http://www.nosdiet.com/
its free and although sounds like nonsense actually works, I am dropping weight with it even though I dont stick to it 100% of the time. Its not very high tech but seems to do the trick

Jake331

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2011-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 pm

NO i just recall this kid who had gone to a dietician once and, though he seemed a little too cock sure of himself. It seemed to make sense what he said. His plan was to lose fat quick and then build up some muscle, which sounded good.

But yeah if I give up the booze and get a few session in a week I'll probabl loose a lot of weight quick
Jagunco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  geerarffe on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:36 am

To be honest mate you'd be better going on a nutrition course yourself. That way you'll have all the information you need rather than someone telling you what to eat and why.

I went on a nutritions course a few years ago and actually discovered that cooking with lard is healthier than cooking with oil! lol. I never saw that one coming.

The easiest way to loose the weight is to stick to your favourite meals and find healthier options. I'm a mayo muncher so I just got the extra light mayo instead of the origional.

It's not about cutting out everything you enjoy eating it's about making what you can healthier and cutting down on what you can't.

geerarffe

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 am

Guiness is actually a vegetable. It is made from the distilled roots of a distant relative of the spinach family group (Spinachus Vegatalis Decorumus to use the correct Latin term).

Guiness was served aboard Britain's warships in the 1700's in order to curb scurvy and sobriety.
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:12 am

I never knew that BN.... it still makes yo a fat bastard as well like lol
Jagunco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:59 pm

I thought the sailors were served lime juice to prevent scurvy. Hence the reason the Yanks called the Brits "Limey's".
Mr Nobody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Sun May 01, 2011 5:36 am

I never knew that either
Jagunco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Sun May 01, 2011 6:24 am

erm BN was having a joke guys Smile

Guiness is made from roasted barley, hops, yeast and water.

Brits became known as Limeys when the Navy started adding lime or lemon juice to the ships water barrels to prevent the build up of algae in the water. It was later noticed that this practice prevented scurvy.

Guiness wasn't "invented" until 1759 and it took another 10 years before it was first exported to England. Navy "grog" was generally rum mixed with water which already had the lime juice added. It was only recently (1970's I think) that the Navy stopped issuing grog.
Peter
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Sun May 15, 2011 3:01 am

Just to let you all know I started my diet a couple of weeks ago and it seems to be working.

I'm not bothering with monitoring my weight as I'm not particularly bothered by it I'm just wanting to get rid of some excess fat but with doing a lot of kettlebells atm I'm probably replacing it with muscle mass so weight watching will be deceptive.

Basically through the weeks I'm eating small low fat meals, normally a breakfast bar or tub of muller rice or fruit for breakfast, then soup without bread for lunch, or a packet of low fat sarnies from the garage. If I am gettign sandwiches from the garage then I opt for the ow fat high protean stuff. When I get home I'm usually hungry so I have a snack that normally does for my tea, its usually a slice of deli meat in a weightwatchers pita bread with low low fat mayonnaise.

I'm doing about three sessions a week on kettlebells, If I'm at a class I generally have a skinny muffin from starbucks if I bother having anything before I go home, its not practical to go home and then drive through to town for my training. After every kettelbell session I drink a protean shake straight afterwards and sometimes my mother makes me an omelette.

The main thing I think is I've forsworn the Black and so that means a lot less calories a week. I've recently started busking in pubs and so I was drinking on nights that I normally wouldn't drink on.

On a Saturday I permit myself to eat and drink whatever I want.

So yeah that's about it, and I didn't have t pay a dietitian. I've lost some of my love handles and belly and muscle toning is better.
Jagunco

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buster on Mon May 23, 2011 2:49 am

Hi

I'm nearly at the end of a calendar month doing the no-s diet,i will post a full report of the diet and my results on my blog when i finish.

I have resisted weighing myself but i know by clothes/gf that i have lost some.

Re visit the no-s diet website,loads of info there,no need to buy the book.

Forget the quick fix,you need to ask yourself 'can i stay on this diet (atkins,zone whatever) for the rest of my life?

If u can't then it's a waste of time,maintence is the diamond in the rough.

Check my blog at the end of the month if you need more details.

Buster
Buster

Number of posts : 798

View user profile http://www.crossfitclinic.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian S on Mon May 23, 2011 4:15 am

I've found the Zone Diet dead easy to stick with -- been on it around 3 years now, more or less strictly depending on all kinds of factors. It's easy enough to tweak slightly depending on current training levels & goals too.
Ian S

Number of posts : 1070

View user profile http://www.hyboriantales.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top