old times

View previous topic View next topic Go down

old times

Post  techman on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:52 am

Back in the early 70's I was returning from a championship in Wales when my car broke down near Birmingham. I contacted Kevin Murphy who I knew through the AJA, and he picked both myself and friends up and arranged food/drink and accommodation for all of us. I ended up staying with Kevin's mum and Dad, and remember how friendly they were(his dad even brought me breakfast in bed!!)The local judo lads lent us money and bought us drinks. We were joined by Kevin and his wife. At this time Kevin was the editor of the AJA magazine called Tatami, which I think he used to print himself. Some may recall that one of the Birmingham judo lads in these days was Pat Roach(the actor/wrestler)who I think was one of Kevin's students. I lost touch with Kevin when he moved to Scarborough, and severed his links with the AJA. I did manage to get back in touch with him, thanks to the web, and talked to him on the phone a couple of times before he passed away. A lovely man who devoted his life to martial arts. Smile

techman

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: old times

Post  David Turton on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 am

I remember 'Spud' Murphy at Seamer .. good guy

thanks for the old times post mate

David Turton

Number of posts : 854
Registration date : 2008-03-10