Lost posts

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lost posts

Post  DaveCollins on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:54 am

Chris wrote:
DaveCollins wrote:I resent the implication that those seeking to know what went on when there were enormous changes/losses to the posts and board is somehow seeking to carry on old issues.

If the board is intended to be the possession of a small group of people or of an individual who allow others to post then effectively telling 'members' to mind their own business is fair enough. If the forum is meant to be just that that, a forum - i.e a meeting place for people generally with an interest in self protection - then it is a communal thing and the community have a right to know what went on so we can understand events, prevent them from happening again and move on in a better way. It was clear what led up to these events so lets finish it off and provide closure on the matter.
It is not about recrimination but understanding.

Oh please. The main problem is that people forget these places are NOT a democracy. They are at best a benign dictatorship. This isn't an episode of Oprah for God's sake... closure indeed!! Laughing Why not go and ask Mick at his new forum? Or mail Brian direct? It's not like either person is hard to get hold of!!

Anything else is just delving for gossip and shit stirring. Especially as neither person has any influence on the board anymore. Common sense would dictate a clean slate free from all of that nonsense.

It's hardly relevant to anyone else's forum. Brian is hardly going to give anyone a clear and fair answer based on experience. You are assuming people are shit-stirring when all they want to understand is what happened. You could argue that considering recent events a bit more democracy and a bit less dictatorship is precisely what is needed.

If you cannot give me democracy, at least give me closure - you swine! cheers

Or mods could just PM the those interested with a basic run down of what happened if they don't want to show their pants in public....

DaveCollins

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-01-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 am

Here's a potted summary. Mods, please delete if necessary.

One of the old mods used to train with one of the old experts. They fell out with each other, both giving different reasons. A discussion about training methodology descended into a slanging match. Some of the accusations on both sides got a bit close to the bone as the argument got increasingly heated. They both decided to leave the forum. One of them took a big chunk of content with him. The other mods decided to rebuild the site and start afresh. End of story.

Thanks to Brian for setting up the forum back in the day. Thanks to Mick for all the informative posts over the years. I don't think there's much else to add...
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 am

Chris wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
Chris wrote:
Doesn't matter how you got here, just what you do next.

I must disagree with this. If you don't learn from the past then you will make the same mistakes again.

Thanks to Ade for the brief update.

Never said don't learn from the past. I think it's pretty clear I was saying that the future was where the emphasis should be, not dredging up the past for no other reason than people want to continue with old modes of behaviour.

That is what your quote above implies to me. Maybe we just interpret differently?

Does anyone actually need to know what transpired between people who are no longer part of the new forum. The answer is NO. If they want to know then go to the source otherwise what happened in the last few days cannot impact the forum as the people involved are all gone. No cause present, no effect can result.

Disagree. Lots of valuable information has been lost, why this happened is of interest to many people on here. Maybe it can't affect the result but at least we know why and maybe it will educate for the future. Why did Brian decide to delete most posts? If your not interested you don't have to read it, but I, like many others I suspect would like to know.

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:04 am

Socrates has pretty much covered it.

Ace,there's only one person who can answer your question,and you won't find him here.

Can we move on now,PLEASE?
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ace Ventura on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:13 am

Well to be honest Ade, the fact that you don't know was of interest in itself. So I appreciate that.

Now change the colour of this forum and we can get on!

Ace Ventura

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-04-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveCollins on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:15 am

Ade wrote:Socrates has pretty much covered it.

Ace,there's only one person who can answer your question,and you won't find him here.

Can we move on now,PLEASE?

Look, all we want to know is did BrianS delete thousands of posts and the accounts of people he didn't like just to be a little bitch?
Or did the other mods do it and should we know why?
Or was there some system crash?

DaveCollins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 am

Dave,read this again...

Peter wrote:All,

I am afraid that myself and the others were just as shocked as you guys when we logged in and found the forum in this state. We had no idea this was coming and had received no warning. We did however get messages from Bri thanking us for being Admin and apologising for what he felt he had to do, stating "personal reasons" for it.

While this is all very reminiscent of the old days when GT shut his forum down but at least Bri has left us with the framework of the forum and the Archive section so we can move on. Myself and Ade are willing to do the admin side of things and we will soon have the forum rebuilt with some of the old sections, some new sections and hopefully some nice surprises. Even better news is that Nick Hughes is staying with us and we hope Dave Turton will be able to as well.

Whatever his reasons we hope Bri is well and while there those who loved him and those who didn't, Bri did do an awful lot of work to get us running when this forum started and has put so much of himself into it since. We wish him well and hope to hear from him soon.

So thats it, thats all we can tell you I'm afraid apart from we are still here and while we have been knocked we are not out.

Let's make this place good again.

Cheers all,

Pete

Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveCollins on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 am

Ade wrote:Dave,read this again...

Peter wrote:All,

I am afraid that myself and the others were just as shocked as you guys when we logged in and found the forum in this state. We had no idea this was coming and had received no warning. We did however get messages from Bri thanking us for being Admin and apologising for what he felt he had to do, stating "personal reasons" for it.

While this is all very reminiscent of the old days when GT shut his forum down but at least Bri has left us with the framework of the forum and the Archive section so we can move on. Myself and Ade are willing to do the admin side of things and we will soon have the forum rebuilt with some of the old sections, some new sections and hopefully some nice surprises. Even better news is that Nick Hughes is staying with us and we hope Dave Turton will be able to as well.

Whatever his reasons we hope Bri is well and while there those who loved him and those who didn't, Bri did do an awful lot of work to get us running when this forum started and has put so much of himself into it since. We wish him well and hope to hear from him soon.

So thats it, thats all we can tell you I'm afraid apart from we are still here and while we have been knocked we are not out.

Let's make this place good again.

Cheers all,

Pete

OK, mate, fairy snuff. Smile

DaveCollins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry Gamsby on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Socrates wrote:Here's a potted summary. Mods, please delete if necessary.

One of the old mods used to train with one of the old experts. They fell out with each other, both giving different reasons. A discussion about training methodology descended into a slanging match. Some of the accusations on both sides got a bit close to the bone as the argument got increasingly heated. They both decided to leave the forum. One of them took a big chunk of content with him. The other mods decided to rebuild the site and start afresh. End of story.

Thanks to Brian for setting up the forum back in the day. Thanks to Mick for all the informative posts over the years. I don't think there's much else to add...
Now as the man said, can we change the colour of our skin? I'm starting to glow. Perry

Last edited by Perry Gamsby on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Perry Gamsby

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2010-03-15

View user profile http://www.perrygamsby.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonr on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Personally, I found Mick Coup's material and the generosity of his responses absolutely first class. I assume he has left this forum, which to be honest calls into question its long-term value to me. I don't write that be be inflammatory. It's just the truth. I learnt a lot from him and very little from those who spent more time trying to prove how funny or clever they were behind a keyboard. Without experts willing to put in the time and effort offering forward innovative material, this forum's grip on me is tenuous. Sorry.

jasonr

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2009-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cartmelpete on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 pm

So my mate Mickey The C spat the dummy because someone failed to bow low enough

Actually not quite the case at all.

Personally, I found Mick Coup's material and the generosity of his responses absolutely first class......

Yes, I'd agree with that, lots of good stuff which made me reevaluate the way I trained. Anyway, he's got his own place now. I learned a lot from quite a few of the contributors here and all the Q&A guys past and present.

I do think that the fun and banter were a good thing...all work and no play etc etc. The wealth of information interspersed with the banter and piss taking made the place, well more.... fun... and well rounded and I suppose and as somebody already pointed out you can only discuss and dissect punches, palm heels and chin jabs for so long.

Hope that the forum can rise again as I thought that it was the best place of it's kind on the net.

cartmelpete

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2007-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Nobody on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:05 am

What happened? (said rhetorically so please don't make me re-read the other posts in this thread).

I go away to the beach for a week, I get home, log on to read about ground fighting in C2 and all of a sudden everything's black and I'm typing in a minuscule grey font!

What the shit!!!

I'll stick around and see what eventuates here. It could become a groundbreaking, earth shattering MA/SD forum containing posts and information of likes that people have never seen and is destined to become so legendary and ludicrously highly regarded that people will talk about it in decades to come which forces the people to make gold, 25metre tall statues of all the foundation members and erect them in the worlds biggest cities.

or it just might be an interesting place to post and belong to......as it was before I started using this grey font.

Hey could we get some more emoticons?? I love those little guys.
Mr Nobody

Number of posts : 933
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry Gamsby on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:31 am

Calling a spade a spade is one thing, just as keeping it real, but I think we can all do it with a modicum of common courtesy. Perry

Last edited by Perry Gamsby on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Perry Gamsby

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:48 am

Perry,

why on earth would you want to come on and start making commments which, by your own reckoning, will get people 'defending Mick' when Ade and Peter are trying their hardest to get over it and move on?

It will be all too easy to cause any thread to degenerate into past politics, thereby belittling the efforts of said remaining Mods but that would just be plain rude.

Zak

Zak

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonr on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:08 am

jasonr

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2009-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cartmelpete on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:40 am

[quoteIt could become a groundbreaking, earth shattering MA/SD forum containing posts and information of likes that people have never seen and is destined to become so legendary and ludicrously highly regarded that people will talk about it in decades to come which forces the people to make gold, 25metre tall statues of all the foundation members and erect them in the worlds biggest cities.[/quote]

lol! lol!

In order for that to happen one crucial ingredient is missing give me a B, ...give me an N, or was he Brian's alter ego as many suspected, THAT is the $64,000 question.

cartmelpete

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2007-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Perry Gamsby on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:07 am

Zak wrote:

Perry,

why on earth would you want to come on and start making commments which, by your own reckoning, will get people 'defending Mick' when Ade and Peter are trying their hardest to get over it and move on?

It will be all too easy to cause any thread to degenerate into past politics, thereby belittling the efforts of said remaining Mods but that would just be plain rude.

Zak

Fair enough. I can see how my comments could be taken as some kind of challenge to some. I'll edit them to fit the new direction. Cheers Perry
Perry Gamsby

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:44 pm

At the risk of disturbing the august contemplation of JasonR WHO ISN"T INTERESTED in people TRYING TO PROVE how FUNNY and CLEVER they are, I would like to take a moment to point out that:

Iam NOT Brian S.

Socrates, Nick Hughes, Cartmelpete and Mr Nobody could all confirm that (not using my real name though!). If you weren't fabulous enough to warrant private attention from me, then well, what can I say?

Seriously, I'm not Brian, nothing wrong with him, he's part of what used to make this forum so interesting, now he's gone, but I ain't him.

Also, I was "taking the Micheal" out of Jasonr (nothing personal) because I think his post above illustrates what has been/and is fundamentally wrong with this forum. Pretty much no one can post anything withput having a dig at someone else. Brian may not be here now, but that hasn't changed.

Just wait 'til Gappy starts posting again.

BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Harrison on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:28 pm

BN wrote:

He sure can entice folks to post back to him... Very Happy
Wayne Harrison

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2010-12-15

View user profile http://www.civilianpersonalprotection.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tonyk on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:34 pm

CPP wrote:
BN wrote:

He sure can entice folks to post back to him... Very Happy

I have a feeling he has already posted. Laughing

tonyk

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Socrates on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:52 am

BN wrote:At the risk of disturbing the august contemplation of JasonR WHO ISN"T INTERESTED in people TRYING TO PROVE how FUNNY and CLEVER they are, I would like to take a moment to point out that:

Iam NOT Brian S.

Socrates, Nick Hughes, Cartmelpete and Mr Nobody could all confirm that (not using my real name though!). If you weren't fabulous enough to warrant private attention from me, then well, what can I say?

Seriously, I'm not Brian, nothing wrong with him, he's part of what used to make this forum so interesting, now he's gone, but I ain't him.

Also, I was "taking the Micheal" out of Jasonr (nothing personal) because I think his post above illustrates what has been/and is fundamentally wrong with this forum. Pretty much no one can post anything withput having a dig at someone else. Brian may not be here now, but that hasn't changed.

Confirmed!

But does Brian really exist outside the internet? Maybe you invented him to win a bet... afro
Socrates

Number of posts : 1628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveCollins on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 am

BN wrote:At the risk of disturbing the august contemplation of JasonR WHO ISN"T INTERESTED in people TRYING TO PROVE how FUNNY and CLEVER they are, I would like to take a moment to point out that:

Iam NOT Brian S.

That's just what Brian would want us to believe...haw haw haw...... Wink

DaveCollins

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Indeed it is! Haw Haw Haw!

p.s. Haw Haw Haw!
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:52 am

BN wrote: Pretty much no one can post anything withput having a dig at someone else. Brian may not be here now, but that hasn't changed.

It has BN, I deleted a post in this thread for that very reason. We do however have "the Pit" for when people may need to clear the air between them but personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Good to see you back btw Smile
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:57 am

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be appearing here all week. Thursday night is ladies' night.
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top