Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: 2010

Post  Ade on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48 am

At last! I have a goal!

Qutting smoking for good after 30 years.

7 days so far and feeling confident Cool ...and already feeling MUCH healthier.

I figure if i tell you guys it will help my motivation.
Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:45 am

Good job Ade. How are you doing it? Cold turkey, patches, meds, hypnosis?

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:56 am

Cheers Nick,

I'm using patches this time,i've been down the cold turkey route before as well as self hypnosis/self help style books...but always caved in to the cravings.I'm fairly comfortable with the patches(still getting my fix) so i'll stick with them and go for a gradual "weaning off" a few months down the line.

as an aside,i had a peak flow test today(for those who don't know,it's basically a measure of how hard you can breath out),and scored my highest EVER result!
Ade
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Good going mate, stay with it!!!!!
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Keep it up!

Your hair may grow back!

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 pm

It's only a couple of days till the half way point of the year. That's a great time to look at your goals and figure out how you're going. Are you on track to complete them all, did you bite off more than you can chew, do you have to drop some for some reason.

If you're not where you thought you'd be at this point, why not? What are you going to have to do differently?

Mine were...

1. Open my tattoo studio
. That one is done I'm happy to say. Getting five star reviews from all over and business is gradually picking up.

2. Get started in teaching Yoga. Well I did say that would only happen if my girl and I were still together. I predicted we wouldn't last 12 months (she's never been in a relationship that's lasted longer than that) and was right. I'm getting certified in Krav Maga instead.

3. Move to the Lake. Hasn't happened yet but it looks like it will before the end of the year. Might not be waterfront property straight away but I'll be done with the commute.

4. Do 4 Seminars. So far so good. Knocked out one in Chicago earlier and have another one July 30th in Maryland. 2 more and I've got that accomplished.

5. Security Company launched. Kinda sorta. Did one training session and ended up being approached by a big insurance player who wants to do a joint venture. We're exploring whether that will be the way to go or keep it small for now.

6. 100 hours of cont ed. Not even close yet. Been too busy launching the shop and plowing the money back into it. Do have an investment seminar coming up in July which will be a start.

7. Get my six pack for my 50th. On track. Dropped 15 pounds already, diet is working, and so am I

8. E-Book company back on line. Nope. Not yet. Got to get the shop on auto pilot before I tackle this one...might end up being next year.

9. Short Sales with my buddy. Probably not. Going to be launching a new Krav class at the local cross fit facility, and trying to get the tattoo shop running. It might, depending on what happens with the shop but is looking unlikely

10. Toastmasters Silver. Could happen but again, probably not this time around. I'm also in training to join the local fire department and the test (which is a bear) is in the fall i.e. autumn. Will more than likely be next year instead.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  cfadeftac on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am

Hello Nick,

Will you integrate Krav with Fight Survival or teach the curriculums separately?

I've noticed that most legit Krav instructors, like any good Military H2H instructors or police DT instructors, have strong foundations in martial arts or combat sports.

Thanks

Andrew

cfadeftac

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2006-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:28 am

A lot of FIST will be integrated as I find the major KM organization here lacks things like soft skills etc.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  cfadeftac on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Nick

Which Krav organization are you dealing with?

Thanks

Andrew

cfadeftac

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2006-10-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:46 pm

My mate Ernie out of Philly. He used to be with KM worldwide but politics reared its ugly head and they had a falling out. Ernie now trains with all of them so we're pretty free to incorporate what we want.
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Giles on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:21 am

Hi Nick,

Just curious as to why you want to certify in Krav Maga, when you're already teaching FIST - which obviously you're happy with as a self-protection system? Does Krav have something you couldn't just add yourself to FIST?

Giles

Giles

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2006-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 am

Giles,

Good question...and it comes down to marketing.

First - there's not a whole lot of difference between the two systems. I make the point on my web site about the difference between an AR-15 and an AK-47 or a Colt and a Ruger. Side by side you can certainly see the difference, and afficienados of both will argue which one is better, but, in the case of the latter, they both have a magazine that slots into the grip, work on the blow back principle, have magazine releases and slide locks in the same place, require the same trigger control and method of carry and, if you're shot by either one, your fooked.

Now, imagine you're moving to a new area and have the choice of teaching either one but to market the Colt requires an outlay of a few thousand dollars (which you don't have ) whereas everyone wants the Ruger and knows all about it. Which one would you teach?

and let's say you think the Colt is marginally better because of the sights (for example) and you can put those same sights on the Ruger...would you not switch to the Ruger?

There you have it...hope that makes sense.
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  chris walker on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:23 pm

Hello Nick,
Sorry if this has been asked before(I'm new so be gentle) Smile
If there is not that much diffrence between your own system FIST and Krav Maga and FIST has come about due to all the diffrent training you have done in the Martial Arts and Military as well as your life experinces doorwork/military/bodyguard does that mean you think Krav Maga is the most complete mainstream system out there.
cheers, Chris.

chris walker

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-06-11

View user profile http://www.rotherhamaikido.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Giles on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:07 am

Thanks Nick. Yeah I thought that might be the answer, didn't want to assume though.

Thanks.

Giles

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2006-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the question. The answer is a resounding NO!!!

Krav is missing all of the soft skills, the avoidance awareness training, verbal de-escalation, recognition of attack patterns et alia. Also, their knife defense is woefully inadequate. I haven't met many Krav practitioners who try and defend that stuff - and I'm talking about the simultaneous block and counter punch. (there's a good reason boxers don't try and punch with both hands at once).

Thankfully, the group I'm with allows me to incorporate stuff I think is missing and believes wholeheartedly in the Krav philosophy of adapting and evolving as we go, based on feedback.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  chris walker on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Cheers Nick for your reply, I was intrested in your comments regarding thier knife defence as this is an area(one of many Crying or Very sad ) that I have little understanding of, coming from an Aiki background the work I have done and do with the Tanto (knife) is quite formalized ie shomen, yokemen etc so looking to improve in this area maybe with some courses and seminars. Any help or ideas from you or anyone else reading would be gratefully received, thanks.

chris walker

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-06-11

View user profile http://www.rotherhamaikido.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Chris,

I posted this somewhere else but here goes...be careful of systems or special methods that deal with a knife. The problem is not with the technique per se but that in the real world you almost never realize someone has a knife in the fight till afterwards.

If you don't know that someone has one at what point are you going to bust out your "knife system?" After the fight is over when you notice your trainer is squelching (which is how I found out the 1st time). Bit late.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  rasdj on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:13 pm

1. Debt entirely paid off (good tax return helped).
4. Did the upick farm thing and the kids loved it.
5. Time to start regular MA training now that debt is paid. (looks like it will be the BJJ school nearby.)
7. Reading list culled as some of the books are more work book that sit and read.

Just might make the rest of the list for the year.
rasdj

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Approaching the end of the year....so how's it going?

Ade wrote:At last! I have a goal!

Qutting smoking for good after 30 years.

7 days so far and feeling confident Cool ...and already feeling MUCH healthier.

I figure if i tell you guys it will help my motivation.

22 weeks now and i think i've cracked it!

cheers
Ade
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 pm

That's awesome Ade...well done that man.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:07 pm

Is a new resolution thread for 2011 coming Nick?
Peter
Admin

Number of posts : 2201

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 am

yes mate...I'm just putting the finishing touches to it as there's some new research in as to how to make the setting of your goals more effective. Be up afore the weekends out...at least that's my goal. Very Happy

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: