low sidekick

Go down

low sidekick

Post  jerry on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:54 am

Nick,

in your dvd you mention a (Bulgarian?) study which indicates that the nr.1 technique in terms of ease of learning, applying and effect was the sidekick to the knee.

Do your own experiences support this?

Jerry

jerry

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-01-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: low sidekick

Post  Nick Hughes on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks for the question Jerry...

I've used it from behing a bunch of times whilst breaking up fights i.e. you grab the collar with your right hand and slam the kick into the back of the knee joint while pulling down on the collar. It drops them on the floor where you can do whatever is necessary next. (I used to just keep the collar hold on and run them right out the door dragging them behind me most of the time).

I've also used its big brother - side kick to the guts/chest/head a slew of times and never had a failure with those either.

The point the cop was making in his thesis was that if you're teaching raw recruits (and remember it was Bulgarian cops back in the day) then it's easy to teach and is extremely effective because there's no real stretching required. I can't really accurately say if I found the same results because by the time I read the piece I'd been doing years of the higher version and was perfectly comfortable with that type.

I don't know if I mentioned it on the dvd but I witnessed a 175lb attorney student of mine accidentally make slight contact with a 325 homicide cop during a multiple drill (we ascertained afterwards it just minutely hyperextended the joint) and the cop went down screaming like someone had thrown him in a tub of acid. (and this is a guy who's been hit with shovels and not knocked out)

I don't have any doubt as to its efficacy if done right.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jerry on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:21 am

Nick,

thank you for taking the time for an elaborate answer.
The reasoning behind the question isn't so much a lack of believe in the effectiveness of the kick itself. More difficulty lies in the correct placement of the kick, the foot being a relatively small object, as is the knee.

In a relatively safe sparring situation, I find kicks to the knee almost impossible to stop landing. When the situation is more frenzied, it requires a bit more of foot-eye coordination, which intuitively makes it for me less suited to the beginner. Even more so when your target is applying aggressive forward pressure (rushing in). Therefore, I've always classified the low side kick more of a pre-fight than an in-fight technique.

The rear leg kick out is a great and nasty little takedown, btw.

Jerry

jerry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:16 am

the foot being a relatively small object, as is the knee.

Yours maybe...mine is size fifteen lol!

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  jerry on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:30 am

and still you won't get arrested for carrying an offensive weapon.. lol!

jerry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmuaythai on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi , hope you don't mind me jumping in .. I'm reading this with a lot of interest ( always after an easy " technique " Embarassed )

I'm just having trouble picturing this kick ....are we talking like thai low kick ? across the legs...or standing side on and kicking..?

sorry , just wondered scratch any linky to said kick?

thanks

craig study
mrmuaythai

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2006-12-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Low side kick to the knee area...lean back and kick as if you're trying to kick start a Jumbo jet.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmuaythai on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:19 pm

ah ok , thanks Smile
mrmuaythai

Number of posts : 670
Registration date : 2006-12-27