Gavin MulHolland

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Re: Gavin MulHolland

Post  Nick Hughes on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:23 pm

No surprise really...he still thinks I'm South African I think.
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 am

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian S on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:06 am

Bloody S. African, E. European, W. American, N. Australian karatimen. They get everywhere!
Ian S

Number of posts : 1070
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile http://www.hyboriantales.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ade on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:59 am

Ian S wrote:Bloody S. African, E. European, W. American, N. Australian karatimen. They get everywhere!

Ade
Admin

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:00 am

Ian,

Mate...you left out spandex wearing.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Why does Steve dislike Nick so much?

Is it because of what Nick said that time when...um........oh.....wait....

No, it must be because Nick.......um.......errr.......wait......um

No it's because Nick...............?

*tumble weed blows gracefully past*

Ok, I give up. Why exactly does Steve dislike Nick so much? Question scratch

Fair enough, Nick's a South African Shocked and (possibly) racist (allegation based on no tangible evidence). But still, why the Nickhate???

p.s. Putting on a "funny" oriental voice when taking the piss out of karate isn't racist. Apparently.
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 pm

It's one of several things...

He's either genuinely mistaking me for this mysterious Sth African racist karateka he knows (I have a PM from him where he apologized once because he accused me of being him)

It's a personality clash based on my being in a (karate) class of his in Horesham years ago. (Hard to believe given we didn't really interact other than turn up to train and do what he told us to...which was good stuff BTW)

Personally I think it's the 3rd option. He's miffed because I'm the only person who ever called him on his outright lies about only doing karate for eight years despite me having pics of him in gis in the seventies and training with him in the nineties and him still being in a gi.

Further to the above...even if eight years was true...why did it take him that long to figure out it was crap. The illustrious plod Brian was able to figure out Wing Chun wasn't for him a heck of a lot faster than eight years...and, if you look back through many posts here there are a slew of guys disgruntled with various arts only after a few months study.

I don't need eight years to figure out Systema is bollocks or Kaaaaarls stuff is plagiarized (and bad to boot)

So if I had to guess...I'd say option 3.

Does it really matter by the way? Nope. Life is not a popularity contest and I don't know anyone in the world who everyone likes....shite, I've even heard of a transvestite who doesn't like Brian. Very Happy

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:03 am

Yes, how is Arnold?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:36 pm

I cringe in the world of martial arts sometimes.... some of the things people claim is completely daft. And they fall out over the drop of a hat

I think the best one I've heard recently is two instructors in a school and one disliked the other so he didn't bother telling him he was going to get a master from overseas for a course until the last moment. This was a big deal as the master was the only person that was allowed to grade and since he lived overseas there were people who'd been training for a number of years in the UK that had not had their first grading.

The outcome? The second instructor got he and his students invites mere days before the event, not enough time to arrange gradings so all of them had to go without rather than rush them.

To top it all the fool mucked up getting a work visa for the master so he's banned from entering the UK, he did in fact attempt this and was held at customs.... so not many gradings for the UK students in that school me thinks
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Just like to make a couple of points about the Gavin Mulholland quote that started off this thread.

Firstly, I find it amusing that Mulholland was as (if not more) complimentary toward Nick as he was toward Steve. Although, Steve's blog entry makes it look as if Mulholland was only complimenting him during this interview.

Secondly, it's striking that Steve is the only big name guy out there who seems to feel compelled to blog the compliments of others on his site. Seeing as we are on Nick's Q/A, have a look at preceeding pages right here. Try to find a thread where Nick has posted, "Look what so and so said about me." You won't find anything like that.

Neither will you find anything similar on Dave Turton's forum, or Mick's.

Hmmmmmm
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Now that is a good point.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 am

Nick couldn't print what I say about him, even if he just picked the best parts - there aren't any....

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Putrid on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:44 am

Bloody Nuisance wrote:

Secondly, it's striking that Steve is the only big name guy out there who seems to feel compelled to blog the compliments of others on his site. Seeing as we are on Nick's Q/A, have a look at preceeding pages right here. Try to find a thread where Nick has posted, "Look what so and so said about me." You won't find anything like that.

Try reading the quote again.

I find it a bit difficult to talk about Morris because of his current disillusionment and stance regarding karate but I will say that the stories about his brilliance are true, and the ones about his lunacy are not. He is an incredibly gifted, skilled, intense and hard martial artist. He was very tough but I never saw him injure anyone while training. He has basically spent 50 years or so in the martial arts being continually disappointed by styles, organisations, teachers, students and people in general, I guess it just finally got to him. It's a real shame

Putrid

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:50 am

Bloody Nuisance wrote:Just like to make a couple of points about the Gavin Mulholland quote that started off this thread.

Firstly, I find it amusing that Mulholland was as (if not more) complimentary toward Nick as he was toward Steve. Although, Steve's blog entry makes it look as if Mulholland was only complimenting him during this interview.

Neither will you find anything similar on Dave Turton's forum, or Mick's.

Hmmmmmm

I don't recall him ever blowing his own trumpet in person. In fact, I've often heard guys tell him that he doesn't do enough to promote himself.

Further, when those of us who have trained with him big him up, we get cynics like you and Brian claiming that we aren't qualified to give an opinion, or that the training sounds like something seen elsewhere.

The problem is that people can't really judge his training unless they experience it for themselves. Even the DVDs aren't really a true representation of a session with Morris.

So, he needs to find some way of getting bodies through doors.

If he doesn't promote himself, no one will turn up.

If he does promote himself, he's an egotistical fool.

He's damned if he doesn't, damned if he does.

You PM'd me over a year ago about going to a Morris session. Did you ever make it down?

It's f*cking easy to sit behind a screen and take the piss out of people. I'm sure I'm more than guilty of it myself, on occasion. Just a bit lost as to what you are trying to achieve.

MikeB

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-01-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:54 am

edited

Last edited by Bloody Nuisance on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:02 am

Edited
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:39 am

What did I miss!

MikeB

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-01-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:46 am

Mike,

Nothing particularly juicy or scandalous. Was just responding to some points you and Putrid made.
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Putrid on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:05 pm

Bloody Nuisance wrote:Mike,

Nothing particularly juicy or scandalous. Was just responding to some points you and Putrid made.

Feel free to respond. Laughing

Putrid

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2009-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:35 pm

I may well bow to the relentless pressure, and allow my adoring public access to my thoughts on the matter.

I may.

Seriously, not but really, I'll rewrite everythang tomorrow. Then we can continue fighting!
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PASCHALJ on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:50 pm

If Brian S and Bloody Nuisance ever want to step up to the plate and train with Mr Steve Morris to get an idea of what he does and teaches they will see first hand that there is no aggression or lack of patience in his teaching approach . As others have said no matter what your background or skill level you will be made welcome and see an improvement in your performance levels quite quickly. Sadly i have only trained a few times with Mr Morris over the years , due to my laziness , but find all this "bashing" a bit over the top. I am not a big fan of Bloody Nuisance , to put it mildly , but if he ever decides to train at Primal and still thinks the same after i will refund his training fee personally. I don't train there on a regular basis and have nothing to gain from this other than to get this put to bed once and for all . This offer is also extended to Brian S , all the best Pascal

PASCHALJ

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Someone else offered me that the other day as well...

Just to clarify...I have trained with Steve in a semi private session in the dojo at the back of his house in Horesham. It was a karate workout with a group of Goju guys. It was incredibly informative and, as I've told him in PMs before, nobody has ever said he can't do the business.

My gripe is he's full of it with his allegations he only did karate for eight years, and, assuming that were true (which it isn't) why did it take that long to figure out it's crap...and secondly, he'd do well to read the book "How To Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

Going to his classes for Brian or BN isn't going to address either of those two issues is it so why do people keep offering?

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:04 am

PaschalJ,

You're "not a big fan" of me to put it mildly? Fair enough. I know we had that misunderstanding last year, but let's be fair, you got the wrong end of the stick on that one. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not a "big fan" of yours either, you don't seem to have any sense of humour.

Regarding Primal, I have no wish to go along. Mike B made the same point, and it's true that about a year ago I would have gone. But things have changed since then, and I am no longer interested. I would like to train with Mick Coup, and hope to so so this summer.

As Nick has said, no one doubts Steve's ability to do the business. I certainly don't.
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:19 pm

I wasn't going to post on this topic again, and this will be the last time that I do so. Putrid, MikeB and Paschal, have all called me on my stance on Steve Morris, and frankly, I feel that I would be running away if I don't address the issue directly.

Firstly, MikeB you asked what I want to achieve, and it's a fair point. I'm not "having a go" at Morris because I want (or expect ) to achieve anything. If I could sum up the reasons succinctly it would be a)I don't like the way he treats people, and b)I feel he gets a lot of leeway to be as nasty as he likes, and rarely gets called on it. Most people would be slated if they behaved the way he does. I could turn the question around and ask what does Morris hope to achieve whenever he digs someone out? Let's not have double standards here.

Regarding marketing, obviously every instructor has to market him/herself as they see fit. But, let's be honest, there is a tremendous amount of self aggrandisement on Morris's site that you just don't see anywhere else.

Last edited by Bloody Nuisance on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:26 pm

(continued)

Regarding the alleged "bashing." I may be somewhat flippant, but I have raised some legitimate points. Racism for example. I ask again. Why is it ok for Morris to dig this forum out for being racist,when he puts on an "ahhh sooo Mr Moto" voice when taking the piss out of Japanese karate ka. Why is it ok for him to have a disticntly homophobic article entitled "Don't drop the soap," on his website? Is discrimination towards orientals and gays ok then?

This goes back to the previous point. Morris can apparently say/do whatever he likes, and his followers will turn a blind eye. They would probably comdemn others for the same behaviour. What about in Morris's bio where he waxes lyrical about hurting people during sparring? Or kicking a guy full on in the groin during a karate competition? Imagine if Nick Hughes wrote this kind of thing, you guys defending Morris would be up in arms about it and calling Nick all kinds of things. Am I right?

Last edited by Bloody Nuisance on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next