Interesting BJ Penn Quote

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interesting BJ Penn Quote

Post  Gray on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:18 am

After his draw with Carl Uno

“Deep into my hiatus I decided to pop my fight with Joey Gilbert into the VCR while sitting on the couch one day. I didn’t care much about fighting at that point, so it was more out of boredom than anything else. When I saw myself in action, it was as if I were watching someone else. I couldn’t believe the fire that I’d had. I realised then that by trying to do everything perfect, I had lost the drive that had allowed me to win those first fights with such ease. I had been on an impossible mission. Fighting is pure chaos, and to be a good fighter you simply have to be prepared to mentally and physically handle that chaos. Stepping away from the scrapping mentality to improve upon my skills had been a necessary stepping stone to learn all the intricacies of MMA competition, but now that I had improved upon my skills, it was just as necessary for me to reacquire that unbridled aggression. It was time to come full circle."

If anyone wants to read more you can buy Bj Penn's Book of Knowledge

Last edited by Gray on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gray

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Interesting BJ Penn Quote

Post  Rob Mac on Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:23 am

'Fighting is pure chaos, and to be a good fighter you simply have to be prepared to mentally and physically handle that chaos. ' That's my quote of the week. Cheers for that Gray
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronk on Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:47 pm

i think this happens to a lot of fighters, Also to me.. Obviously i am not bj penns level (yet)
But the more you learn, the more realise you know, the more technical you try to be, to more you realise what people can do to you. Bye bye agression for a load of fighters..
I actully send Steve a pm about losing agression and regaining it a couple of days ago

i started to think about it all when i read this on steve's main site

Fedor Emelianenko is one of the best fighters in the world when it comes to creating chaos and violence within the fight, sustaining it, and imposing his will and skill upon it. For the entire duration of the fight he violently and unpredictably takes the fight to the opponent and forces him to react to Emelianenko and so make mistakes. This forces Emelianenko's opponents to abandon their original game plans and lets Emelianenko drive the fight in the direction he wants to go.

True, the fighting skills Emelianenko displays in the ring/arena are often far from optimal. But they work. Within such chaotic and violent environments, you simply haven't go tall the information or the time to make the perfect diagnosis or execute the perfect move. You simply do what you have to do, and if it doesn't work, try something else until it does. Emelianenko overwhelms his opponents with his destructive intent. His intent is sufficient to bring about the necessary response within the situation. It doesn't seem to matter where Emelianenko hits his opponent, or with what weapon—just as long as he does hit. The damage comes from the intent.

When training, too many fighters ignore the choas and violence factor within the fight, concentrating more upon the perfecting of moves within relatively calm environments rather than concentrating upon what they are going to have to do within a more hostile environment.

aaronk

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Imoto on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:28 pm

"It is not the critic that counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or the doer of deeds could have them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the Arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but he who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great devotion; who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls, who know neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt
Luciano Imoto

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-08-07

View user profile http://www.aikidoimoto.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Denn on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:00 am

Although you may be able to download the book for free on Mega Upload I dont think it would be fair to do so.

These fighters dont get paid awesome money, they make their money through sponsorship and other such deals.

The book is an awesome read I went out and picked mine up for around £20 quid maybe less, read it online fair enough.

But BJ Penn runs his own website which is updated constantly with new videos showing all sorts of techniques for you to look at for FREE, the moment he posts the link to his book on there Im assuming he wants you to have it for free.

But until then I think if you were to take away some information from this book its only fair that you go out and buy a copy to show your appreciation. Not nuthugging its just I dont think its fair.

Denn

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gray on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:42 pm

Denn wrote:Although you may be able to download the book for free on Mega Upload I dont think it would be fair to do so.

These fighters dont get paid awesome money, they make their money through sponsorship and other such deals.

The book is an awesome read I went out and picked mine up for around £20 quid maybe less, read it online fair enough.

But BJ Penn runs his own website which is updated constantly with new videos showing all sorts of techniques for you to look at for FREE, the moment he posts the link to his book on there Im assuming he wants you to have it for free.

But until then I think if you were to take away some information from this book its only fair that you go out and buy a copy to show your appreciation. Not nuthugging its just I dont think its fair.

Very true and fair comment. Edited.

Gray

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top