your joints

View previous topic View next topic Go down

your joints

Post  Rob Mac on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:57 am

Not the kind you roll, but what condition has all this pounding hard objects left your joints in Steve? I'm still not convinced by the need for this, but neverless interested in what toll it's taken on your body. Cheers Rob
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: your joints

Post  steve morris on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:44 am

The heavy bag work, makiwara, brick-breaking etc. hasn't done any harm to my joints. That's me personally.

I do have some damage to my wrists, but that's as a result of two incidents when I broke them. I was a boy soldier when I broke the right wrist. I was running away from the police, jumped over what I thought was a low wall, but the drop on the other side turned out to be about 20 feet. I landed on my palm and broke the wrist.

The second incident happened when I was a regular soldier and I was too lazy to go round and use a gate on a perimeter fence. So I climbed the perimeter fence, which had barbed wire on top, jumped, and my boots got caught in the barbed wire. I did a vertical nosedive into hard ground and broke both wrists. Again, I'd landed on my palms.

For those who are fond of the palm heel as a weapon--maybe you can see why I'm not so convinced about it! I read a post once by Lito saying that because you naturally land on your palms, this makes the palm heel a strong tool. But it failed me! Now, I don't know if I'd landed on my fists what would have happened...probably drill a hole in the ground...

But anyway, as a result of those breaks, I developed some osteoarthritis as I got older. I aggravated this when I was in my fifties by clearing a two-acre wood with a blunt Welsh billhook.

So I have damage there which makes it hard for me to flex the wrist, but I can punch and I can slap, no problem, just as good as I ever did. And that damage has nothing to do with my training. I don't have any other joint problems. No hip, knee, elbow, shoulder...no problems. And I'm 64.
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:56 am

64 Steve?

That's simply amazing.....thought you were much older than that!

Smile

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:14 am

I'm trying to come up with a funny retort but it must be the senile dementia kicking in because I can't...

I know I go on about my age, but the thing is when I look around in the martial arts at guys who are much younger than me, they're falling apart. And it's usually because they've been involved in training which is detrimental to their health, rather than supportive of it.

That's the point I want to make.

We're trying to type this and Trish is arguing with me. She's telling me it's genetic. Or as Nick Hughes said, I'm an anomaly...a freak of nature...I kind of resent that because it's all down to the way I train. And I've been there and I'm trying to tell other guys how to get there

A lot of guys use their age as an excuse not to train, or to go into the 'listen to me, my son' routine. Fuckin hell. They're younger than I am, and they're already fucking half-dead.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Imoto on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:52 am

Sir,
You know my theory Laughing
The nature makes some mavericks by pure caprice...

And, of course, almost half century of hard-core training, fight researches and self-development makes strong difference today.

Last edited by Luciano Imoto on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Luciano Imoto

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-08-07

View user profile http://www.aikidoimoto.org

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:15 am

Luciano, that idea takes it away from everybody who's training with me. It makes it seem as though there are these 'special people' and I don't believe that. Everybody's got something special. Sometimes it's your life circumstances that brings that out, and sometimes it's training. With me it was both. BUt the key is making the most of what you've got. Getting into the mix, into a challenging, punishing training regime, and finding out who you are and what you've got.

I'm not a freak, I'm not a genius, and I'm not an icon. I resent it. That gives an excuse for other people to get away with the crap they're doing. It takes away all the fucking training I've put in, unbelievable hard work, concentration, effort and sacrifice. I wasn't born like this.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:40 am

I've got to agree with Steve, it's within everbody to achieve...how many people want to put in the hard work however?
Rob Mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:43 am

Just to quote directly from a great man 'I'm not a fuckin role model, be your own fuckin role model.' It's very true.
Rob Mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Imoto on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:43 am

Don´t worry Mr. Morris,

In really WE ALL are mavericks in some way.
But the beauty of this is: exist Mavericks among 'mavericks' Cool
I like your approach because of your Honesty.
And this element is very, very, very rare in this modern days.

P.S.: "Maverick", a term suggesting independence of thought or action.
Luciano Imoto

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-08-07

View user profile http://www.aikidoimoto.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top