Something to kick around

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Something to kick around

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:23 pm

After reading a post/question on Nick Nick Hughes' forum I thought I'd post a link to an article I wrote awhile back. I think it somehow ties in to the discussion on this thread as well as the question posed on Nick's forum "Thoughts On Kata."

http://tommypkarate.blogspot.com/2007/11/thoughts-on-kata.html

Back to top Go down

Post  jolut on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Good read and thanks for sharing. Smile
I think it would be an good idea to post some youtube links to show Ashihara karate kata. I will do that later. Had to go to work now.

/Jörgen

jolut

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cuddly Werewolf on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:27 am

You mean, like these ones? I do not know how good they are, but I hope that helps until you could post the clips you have had in mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq1ckLOUFOo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56JPgYK3WTI
Yes, Ashihara sure looks like the kind of karate that has evolved for fighting. I don't know whether it is enough to keep in the competition with other styles, I don't have nearly enough experience for such a judgement.

If I remember correctly, Boxing and Aikido both have had an influence on the style Smile .

Cuddly Werewolf

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:08 am

CuddlyWerewolf wrote:Yes, Ashihara sure looks like the kind of karate that has evolved for fighting.

Are we looking at the same videos? afro

MikeB

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-01-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ric on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:15 am

Sorry if this is a bit irrelevant - Ive only just seen the thread and havent had time to read much of it. Someone (again sorry - I forget who) has made the point that everyones experience is just as valid as that of other people, even when those other people are much more experienced than them. I agree.

To me, Im going to learn more from my mistakes than someone elses, because my mistakes hurt more!

Also I agree wholeheartedly what Nick said about everyone seeing it from a different perspective. When Ive taught self defence in the past Ive always taught people how I THINK they should talk to people to keep out of bother. A lot of this comes from my own experience (Not a huge amount compared to some - a couple of years on the door, and a couple transporting and booking people who have just been arrested into custody). I got into a lot less scraps than some other people who worked in the same places, and not because I would run away from trouble. I put it down to my ability to talk to people calmly, and tried to teach other people to do the same. Maybe it is. But did it work for me more because I am 6ft 6in tall and a fit young bloke? Would the same thing work for a five foot tall 8 stone woman? In my defence Ive always been aware of the limitations of my experience and tried to point out to other people that they have to find what works for them.

I bet you lot have already said something along those lines 16 times already right? Sorry!

Ric

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonLaw on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:42 pm

MikeB wrote:
CuddlyWerewolf wrote:Yes, Ashihara sure looks like the kind of karate that has evolved for fighting.

Mike that kills me lol..... you clearly are not from a karate background.

It's an attempt I suppose at bringing karate into the 21st century but a fairly lame effort.

JonLaw

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cuddly Werewolf on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:28 pm

MikeB wrote:

I'd guess we are. But I didn't say it was successful (or unsuccessful), right? I just don't know enough to make such a statement-sorry about that, I keep trying to learn more Cool !

Cuddly Werewolf

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:02 am

JonLaw wrote:

Mike that kills me lol..... you clearly are not from a karate background.

It's an attempt I suppose at bringing karate into the 21st century but a fairly lame effort.

Maybe he was being sarcastic!

Are you training at Primal on Sunday? May try to make it down, as it has been a while.

MikeB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:06 am

Just looked at the videos again.

The first one seems to depict some idealistic 1-step non/light-contact sparring.

The second one seems to be a group of three people performing a kata, in time. A guy from work just walked by and started making Bruce Lee noises! Obviously wasn't impressed either...

Not sure how either of the videos are representative of a real fight. Maybe I'm missing something.

MikeB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:58 am

Ashihara came out of Kyokushin and if I'm not mistaken it was designed to counter Kyokushin karate. While it is definitely a hard style which would translate into the street as does Kyokushin, its kata aren't really designed as self defense. I believe those kata are based on techniques used in their fighting competitions.

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top