video roll call

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

video roll call

Post  steve morris on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:25 am

I've mentioned before that when it comes to the Internet and forums, it bothers me that most of the time you can't see the guy who's posting. I'd like to be able to see who I'm talking to, and I'd like you to be able to see each other. I'm up there on You Tube, all nine million clips, so I'd like to see some of you guys post links to clips of yourself.

I'd like to see what you're doing in your current training. Doesn't have to be long and involved, and I'm not going to pick on you or be critical. It's just like if we were sitting at a table having a conversation, we'd be face to face. I want to see who you are.

And even if I know you, the other people on the forum might not. We seem to have a pretty international group who post here.

So let's see if we can set a precedent on the forums. I don't mind whether or not you use your real name, just as long as it's your real body.

And please, no videos of Bas, Vanderlei, Fedor, etc. Just the real deal. I'm serious on this one.

Stick it on this thread.

PS how can I make this thread a sticky?
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: video roll call

Post  Ken Fortunato on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:38 am

steve morris wrote:

PS how can I make this thread a sticky?

If the owners of the BB set you up right, there should be a selection when you post. There should be selections under the post box for "Sticky", "Announce" etc.

BTW, I agree with the video clip thing. I'll see if I can borrow a digital video cam and get something up. In the mean time, I've uploaded an avatar and my name actually is Ken Fortunato. Laughing Cool

Ken Fortunato

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinigami on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:35 am

I'll see what I can do within the next month or so, but in the mean time would an avatar be sufficient like what Ken has?
Shinigami

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:49 am

It would be a start. I'd like to add some more dimension to this thing. At the moment it's kind of impersonal.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:52 am

steve morris wrote:I'd like to add some more dimension to this thing.

I'm all for that, and although I can't speak for others, I would welcome the critique.

Ken Fortunato

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:35 am

I'm the same as Ken , I'll need to borrow a handycam.

And how do we put up an avatar , someone please ?

I meant to say this pre Xmas but I lost my password but I hope everyone here had a good holiday period.

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:08 pm

SimonLau wrote:I'm the same as Ken , I'll need to borrow a handycam.

And how do we put up an avatar , someone please ?

I meant to say this pre Xmas but I lost my password but I hope everyone here had a good holiday period.

Hi Simon, You can upload an avatar by clicking the "Profile" link in the header and then click on the "Avatar" tab. There is an upload option where you can select a picture from your PC. You will need to resize it to fit the requirements of the board owners. I think it was 150x200, which is pretty generous by most forum standards.

And Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.

Ken Fortunato

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:24 pm

good shout, got no idea how to do it but one of my mates can sort it.
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:26 pm

This is one of my students winning a fight last year (second round, the first was better) .. http://www.dailymotion.com/Tommo99/video/x2wb4v_tomos-fight-liverpool
Rob Mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:27 pm

sorry not opening
Rob Mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:37 pm

one of him losing! the names are joke by the way!.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=batLeNcRukI
Rob Mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Ken Fortunato wrote:

Hi Simon, You can upload an avatar by clicking the "Profile" link in the header and then click on the "Avatar" tab. There is an upload option where you can select a picture from your PC. You will need to resize it to fit the requirements of the board owners. I think it was 150x200, which is pretty generous by most forum standards.

And Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.

Hi Ken ,

Guess who doesn't seem to have a Avatar tab ? Any other suggestions ?

It'd be nice also to see some video of all the SPDC experts who have not as yet posted any material .

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Did you check the upper right side of the page?
Information | Preferences | Signature | Avatar | Watched topics

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinigami on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:07 am

Done mine, it's not recent, but it's close.
And I normally wear glasses also.

And looking at the board it seems we have quite a few long hairs about! lol!

Ps, forgive the black and white thing, I was curious to see what it was like when I did it and now it's the only decent one I have.
Shinigami

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-01-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:47 am

SimonLau wrote:Hi Ken ,

Guess who doesn't seem to have a Avatar tab ? Any other suggestions ?

Hmmmm??? scratch When you click on the Profile link, you don't have the links that Tommy referred to? scratch

Tommy_P wrote:Did you check the upper right side of the page?
Information | Preferences | Signature | Avatar | Watched topics

Tommy

Ken Fortunato

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marshall on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:45 am

Not sure about all this forum terminology- what is an avatar?
James Marshall

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:16 am

James Marshall wrote:Not sure about all this forum terminology- what is an avatar?

The little picture under my name.

<----------

Ken Fortunato

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:42 am

Video problems fixed and reposted below.

Last edited by on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:02 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

my vid...

Post  Bryson Keenan on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:32 am

Hi Steve,

Sorry, but this one might be a bit 'traditional karate' for this forum (even though the point of the thing is to get these guys to 'unlearn' their WKF-ishness...!), but trust me, I'll put some heavier duty stuff up on the tube when I get some more video happening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dt5HPQsd0o

PS, I'm the fat baldy guy...

Slainte'

Bryson
Bryson Keenan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  524526 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:42 am

OK , thanks Ken & Tommy.

I'm up now .

How heavy is that bag Tommy if it's OK to ask ?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 am

That's great guys, let's keep 'em coming.

Plus I've got some ideas for how we can use all this.

I'm away tomorrow, be back Monday.

You all know where to find my clips, http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=stevemorrisnhb
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Menapace on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi Steve

Trish just sent me the DVDs from July in Coventry and I was able to watch them. I learned more the second time than I did the first Very Happy

As far as photos go and in case you forget what I look like, my avatar is me and my girl Jess. I'm the one with the short hair and flat chest Laughing

Jeff
Jeff Menapace

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:14 pm

SimonLau wrote:OK , thanks Ken & Tommy.

I'm up now .

How heavy is that bag Tommy if it's OK to ask ?

100 lbs
It's kind of a weird bag....I don't really like it. From a few inches below the label it is like a brick.

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:01 am

Ok, the video clips are fixed and now they are at the correct speed and the sound is synchronized. I got rid of that YouTube crap. (thanks Ken)

Some bag work thrown in at the end of my workout as a finish. Well a piece of it anyway...the last few seconds of a 5 minute round.

And HERE is the last go at the bag trying to squeeze a little more out after exhaustion.

Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:14 am

Tommy and Rob Mac, thanks for those clips.

With regard to clips not specific to your own training, let's not go there.

I see this as an opportunity to take the forum to another level. As it's my forum, there's an opportunity here for you to use video clips to ask me technical questions, and if I can respond in kind, then I will. Otherwise, I'll respond as I normally do, in writing.

I need to be able to see who I'm talking to. There are so many times in the past when I've had long discussions with people via e-mail only to find out that their written representation of themselves was very different to what they were like when I finally met them in person. And if I'd seen them in action before the conversation began, then it would have been a completely different conversation. The internet can be very misleading. But it doesn't have to be. You Tube is free and most of you have webcams. If you don't have one, borrow one.

So it's partly about me wanting to identify you as a martial arts practitioner.

But there's a second level to this thing, which is that we can use it as an instructional aid.

Sometimes when I answer questions, my hands are tied because I can't see you. ANd other times, I'll answer the question in theory, but then when I see the guy that asked me, it turns out there was a whole different issue that needed to be addressed and that he was asking the wrong question! My answer wasn't even relevant, because I hadn't seen the problem in the context of him as an individual.

Say for example a guy says to me, 'I want to be able to punch more tactically because I keep getting taken down,' I can tell him that. But if I meet him three weeks later and I find out he has a problem with stance or footwork, then the drills I might have suggested for punching aren't going to be relevant. We've got to get the questions and the answers in context. There's no need for ambiguity on either my part or yours.

So insofar as I can be an instructional resource for you, then I'm happy to do that within reason. This is an experiment.

Let's just lay out some ground rules. First of all, if somebody puts up a video and asks me a question, I'll answer it. Don't let's everybody jump in with their response. I don't mind if you discuss things on the forum in general; I encourage it as long as it stays on topic. But with regard to the clips, if somebody puts up a clip and asks for advice or whatever, I don't want everybody jumping in with their You Tube answers. Leave that to me.

Second, let's keep things on topic. This is a general point about my bit of the forum. If you post something that isn't on topic, please don't be offended if I take it off. I'll be cleaning this thread up to keep it relevant, and I'll generally do that on the site anyway. It's nothing personal. It's just housekeeping. There's too much bullshit on the internet and I want to keep this area informative.

Nothing wrong with photographs on the avatars, but specifically let's see if we can get some video representations of each of you training or teaching, as current as you can, as a baseline. And then if you have a specific question (for example, Tommy P your shoulder question would be a good example) then post that as a new topic and I'll get to it when I can.

Obviously, as with everything, my response time will vary.

For me and my guys, I shot some footage yesterday and I'll get that up asap. You'll see exactly what I'm doing up to the minute.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top