I love this clip

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I love this clip

Post  melvinfferd on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:57 pm

quick update on the helmet... last night in the wee hours of the morning there was a daido tourny on cable tv. they were using the new helmet. looks very similar to the original as mentioned in my previous post, the visor doesnt protrude quite as much.

one thing to keep in mind, the highlight clip at the beginning of this thread is just that, highlights. its quite different when you watch full fights. the groundwork especially isnt too flash compared to the level at mma gyms over here.

melvinfferd

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2006-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:20 am

Simon, that’s interesting and thanks for doing that legwork. What I’m curious about is where they’re getting the funding for a three storey building in the Tokyo real estate market if there are only small numbers doing the training. Have they any political connections?

The links below show how difficult it is to design a helmet, particularly in consideration of rotational forces, which are the real killers. I remember I had some research notes—they’re gone now—on experiments performed on monkeys. They used both linear and rotational forces on monkeys wearing crash helmets. The most devastating impacts were those which caused rotation. And it seems that crash test dummies aren’t always designed in consideration of these lateral impacts.
[url]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_helmet[/url]
[url]
http://www.springerlink.com/content/w682v9u817686073/[/url]

http://www.helmets.org/whatneed.htm

http://www.newscientist.com/backpage.ns?id=mg16422137.200

http://www.hansard.act.gov.au/hansard/1997/week13/4690.htm
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Claire on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:12 pm

Your discussions about headguards have triggered a few thoughts. At the risk of asking a slightly bizarre question: Shocked has anyone tried using a rugby scrum cap instead of a headguard, to prevent some of the scratches (and cauliflower ears?) you may otherwise get from sparring? Maybe it would only be of limited value to most of you guys but I am thinking of trying it out so would value thoughts on this if you've already tried it at some point / have any hints / tips.

To explain a bit - I train in kickboxing and currently wear a Top Ten headguard when sparring for several reasons. I'm happy to admit a good part of that is because I'm not overly keen on getting smacked in the head, although I have always been warned about maintaining a guard and much as I know it will drop every so often I do try to keep my hands up.

It also helps me avoid scratches from velcro fastening on boxing gloves, and more importantly, it acts as hair net! That might sound totally ridiculous and high maintenance but hey, I am a girl! Smile I am conscious that my guard is wider as a result of the headguard plus the comments about complacency so that is why I am wondering about scrum caps. Any thoughts? And no am not going to shave my head to get round the problem!!

Claire

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:21 pm

Claire, alot of mma guys wear something similar, mainly for ear protection during floor work.
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  melvinfferd on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:30 pm

thanks steve for the links. was refreshing to read about the ko from a perspective other than the common "brain rebounding against inside of skull" reasoning.

steve morris wrote:Simon, that’s interesting and thanks for doing that legwork. What I’m curious about is where they’re getting the funding for a three storey building in the Tokyo real estate market if there are only small numbers doing the training. Have they any political connections?

heehee no idea if they have political connections. or yak connections for that matter. the building wasnt very big, very narrow. maybe it was family land that he just built on, no idea. dont think they would have a problem paying the rent though. i just read this: "... with its headquarters located in Japan and branch schools located in over 40 countries with over 50,000 members."

i dont think the class i saw was representative of the normal attendence. ill let you know if i ever make it back there. i am interested is seeing how they spar. i read its always bareknuckle which sounds good.

melvinfferd

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2006-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 am

Back in Horsham we used to discuss the idea of rugby headgear as an alternative to a headguard, particularly for the grappling sequences. I doubt it would afford much protection beyond the superficial.

Talking about rugby, a guy called Nigel Tuck provided me with a rugby equipment catalog, and there was one interesting piece of gear which they use in tackles. It's like an extended bib which covers the thighs. I thought there was some mileage in that for protection of the legs when training thigh kicks. I've often wondered why somebody hadn't come up with a body protector plus thigh extension which you could velcro on.

Thanks for that information Simon.
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marshall on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:41 am

Claire,
if you go here: http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/35/3/167?ijkey=9ad73d832f27f8213520743f80907a4a287d3927&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

you will see the abstract of a study on rugby headguards. At the bottom of the page are some other related studies that may be of interest.

I am going to try out the tackle suits tomorrow with some rugby players, I will video it too, but not quite sure about uploading it yet.
James Marshall

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marshall on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:08 am

I tried out the tackle suits on Friday. They are pretty good for the "sticky hands" wrestling and striking drill we did, good against knees too. Useless against kicks- even mine! The thigh pads don't wrap around the thighs enough. I might try taping them tomorrow.

I watched the video of me doing the strikes- wasn't happy with what I was doing, so will try to make the corrections tomorrow too. The use of video in itself was helpful as it showed what I was actually doing, rather than what I thought was doing.

The main thing that is difficult for myself and the guys I am training with to change\ adapt is the use of the head in movement. It makes perfect sense to do it and we are trying. Years of being drilled to keep the head still is difficult to overcome. That is why I stopped practising kata- it is just reinforcing unnatural movements- and I need to work more naturally.

Progress is being made though- not through my opinion, but just in how people are striking pads, and also getting used to striking from difficult\ unconventional positions, and having to do it in unplanned situations. So cheers for the advice.

Sorry- about 3 different topics in this post!!
James Marshall

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:45 pm

James Marshall wrote:Claire,
if you go here: http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/35/3/167?ijkey=9ad73d832f27f8213520743f80907a4a287d3927&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

you will see the abstract of a study on rugby headguards. At the bottom of the page are some other related studies that may be of interest.

I am going to try out the tackle suits tomorrow with some rugby players, I will video it too, but not quite sure about uploading it yet.

Interesting! Thanks!

Ken Fortunato

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Claire on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:10 am

Thanks for the feedback and link to the article. Looks like a scrum cap is pretty much a hair net then. Probably worth me trying it out purely on that basis though!
Cheers,
Claire

Claire

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3