"I really never see that punch coming!"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"I really never see that punch coming!"

Post  Luciano Imoto on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:03 am

I yet read about blind training used in Wing Chun push hand, in spetsnaz "psychic" drills and to cops in low light operations.
Recently I read here about one sunday session in Primal when you use covered eyes in training too.
Is it possible to descript (or show in clip) this training performance?
This type of "handcap" practice is very usefull to reduce our blind spot during a fight and amply our sensorial sensibilities.
About the blind spot (and make some correlation with tunnel vision) in our eyes, please see this curious link and try the visual test in it:
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/blindspot1.html
Luciano Imoto

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-08-07

View user profile http://www.aikidoimoto.org

Back to top Go down

Re: "I really never see that punch coming!"

Post  Nick Forrer on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:04 am

Luciano Imoto wrote:I yet read about blind training used in Wing Chun push hand, in spetsnaz "psychic" drills and to cops in low light operations.
Recently I read here about one sunday session in Primal when you use covered eyes in training too.l

This 'covered eyes training' was not what you were making it out to be. We were doing entries to the clinch and it was to make it easier for the person clinching rather than to develop anything on the part of the puncher.

Luciano, from your questions on this forum you seem to bring a lot of your TMA preconceptions to what Steve does (that is, you see it through the filter of your beliefs about MA). I know its hard but you should try and see Steves stuff for what it is 'in itself', rather than tryign to relate it to what you already 'think' you know. Steves method is a real paradigm shift for a lot of people (even for some MMA people). Youve really got to empty your cup a bit to see it.
Nick Forrer

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Imoto on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:42 pm

We were doing entries to the clinch and it was to make it easier for the person clinching rather than to develop anything on the part of the puncher.

Thanks Nick: that was my ask.

from your questions on this forum you seem to bring a lot of your TMA preconceptions to what Steve does (that is, you see it through the filter of your beliefs about MA).

Quite right the first part. Because my poor english (mainly to hear) I need to make some comparations, for reference. Without some comparation, or analogy or metaphory, this task is very difficult to me. Try explain a color red to one daltonic man and you will understand my point.
Like you said:
Steves method is a real paradigm shift for a lot of people (even for some MMA people).

But don´t worry: every time I watch the Morris Method DVDs more I had understood his britanic accent.
Luciano Imoto

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-08-07

View user profile http://www.aikidoimoto.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sven on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:31 am

If i may to add: here we do train against grabs and holds with eyes blindfolded. This includes grabs accompanied with strikes as well. Makes you to read your opponent and react on sense of contact only. Relying on touch, not depending on visual helps you to react faster, plus bringing your reactions to instinctive level happens quicker. Strikes only is a whole different game though.
Sven

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:17 am

Luciano, Nick's given you your answer on that one

I just want to head this one off before it goes off into a discussion of blind spots, proprioceptive enhancement through blindfold practices, etc. etc. Just don't want to go there.

Sorry about that but I'm not into that stuff. I'm sure you can discuss this on the general section of the forum.
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top