Bob Jones

Go down

Bob Jones

Post  Julian on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:55 am

Hm, I just curious about opening a thread with Bob Jones as subject.

Here are some photos of him

On the right is Malcolm Anderson by the way

Malcolm Anderson

Some time ago i also saw a video clip about him talking he seems very charismatic to me.

1. How was he as a teacher?
What gaves him the edge to "produce" so much dangerous fighters in the old ZKD days?

2. Also how was he as fighter, his fighting style and his favourite techniques?

Cheers
Julian

Last edited by on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julian

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bob Jones

Post  Nick Hughes on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:21 pm

To do him justice you should really track down some pics of him in the old days...such as this one

Re his charisma...damn, I wish I could bottle it and sell it, I'd make millions. He is another one of those David Koresh, Jim Jones types. If he told all of his black belts in the day to jump off skyscrapers the majority would have done it. Amazing stuff.

As a fighter, unbelievable. I am not aware of him ever being beaten by anyone...and none of the black belts from the bad old days that I know, who were there from the beginning are aware of him being beaten either. He attributed a lot of that to being a red head and yanked to a different school two times a year every year due to his dad's work. Everyone knows, second you arrive in the new school you have to fight to establish your position in the heirachy so he got lots of experience early on.

His favourite technique in the street was probably headbutts but he could pull most things off. I once met two guys who were room mates of his when they were all younger (neither of them training) and they told me of his regimen while bouncing. He'd run five miles every morning, then do five hundred pushups and five hundred sit-ups before doing five hundred punches into the brick wall on the back of their digs. One morning while eating breakfast the plaster on the inside was shaken loosed by his travails outside and showered them and their cereal in stuff.

He could generate phenomenal power also. One day in Melbourne when I was down there a black belt called Adam West was complimented by Bob on his abs as he'd been working them a bunch. Adam, buoyed by the compliment said "hell Sensei, I could take one of your punches" One thing led to another, Adam tensed, Bob punched and Adam puked all the way to the bathrooms before collapsing in a heap.

I'm also aware of some big name streetfighters in Australia that he fooked up over the years and he also dropped a Samoan the size of a house while looking after Fleetwood Mac in Hawaii with one punch (as told to me by a roadie who witnessed it)

Part of the reason for producing so many good fighters was the raw material he had to work with and the second reason was the timing. With the martial arts boom on we had literally 300 people walking into the dojo every day to join up. They tried to make space by using new students as human punching bags to clear the way for the new members. The ones that couldn't hack that environment quit, what was left were hard core fookers who, by being put through that process, and working on doors, became giants with regards to fighting.

I doubt there's going to be another period in history where you're going to have so many people trying to join at once that you can afford to bash people from day one to clear floor space. Unique man and a unique time.

The last part of it was the organization. It was a little like being in a cult and you took that name with you. When I stood on that door, wearing that cross and representing Zen Do Kai it wasn't Nick Hughes lost a fight, it would have been "One of Bob Jones' guys lost a fight" and there was no way that was going to happen. It just couldn't which is why you'd get silly shite like fighting 75 kung fu students instructed literally to kill you, and walking out of the building having put 13 or so of them in hospital. I could never do that, but carrying his name on my shoulders I sure could.

I've heard guys in the military talk about similar experiences when fighting. When you have a strong tradition and regimental lore about past members of the regiment and what they had done you just couldn't bear the thought of being the guy who let the team down so you do crazy, almost impossible things.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Number of posts : 3119
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile http://www.kravmagalkn.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:40 pm

By the way...I don't think the middle picture you posted is actually Bob mate. He's only 20 or so years older than me and it doesn't look anything like him...could be wrong though, might just be a bad angle and the wrong age attributed to him.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:55 pm

I replaced it with some pics of the old days like you pointed out to me ;-)

Julian
Julian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bob Jones book

Post  WhatThe... on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Bob Jones released a book called ďLet The Good Times RollĒ. Not sure when it was published, or if in fact itís still available. But itís a good read, and focuses mainly on his bodyguarding experiences with the touring rock bands etc. The book is meant to be book one of a set of three (trilogy). The other two, which I donít think have been released yet, will probably include more of the nightclub fight stories, MA training etc. Wouldnít mind betting that a young Nick Hughes will feature somewhere.

Iíve had the good fortune to meet Bob Jones, albeit briefly, and found him to be friendly and perhaps unexpectedly modest.

WhatThe...

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:58 am

Julian,

Great photos mate...I tried finding the same ones but couldn't turn them up on google for some reason. That's pretty much a Bob (and some of the other crowd) through the ages. It's a shame you can't see the knuckles of Billy Manne in the photo...they were legendary along with his kicks. Looked like someone took a hard boiled egg, dyed it black, cut it in half and glued it on the back of his fist.

Grant Kenny went on to win the junior and senior Iron Man competition in the same day and represented us in the Olympics years later.

Vinny Rando was killed by a shotgun blast to the chest. Nick Pappas was famous for his flying headbutts off the door of the club where he worked.

Dave Berry also worked on the door with Bob's company aged sixteen. Bob was going to fire him after the first night when he came in with a broken nose and two black eyes but the two guys with him said if Bob fired him, they'd quit. They said he had the heart of a lion and had stepped in with them against a gang of about forty guys and held his own.

Years later he and I answered the challenge to a local Kung Fu instructor who turned up to our open kickboxing night with two Samoan boxing champions. This clown taught them how to do front kicks and then stuck them in as his Kung Fu students in a bid to humiliate us. I wasn't a kick boxer but there were no other heavyweights around so I jumped in the ring and beat my guy with a TKO. Dave, over forty at the time, went in against his guy and knocked him clean out then had to be pulled off by the ref cause he wanted to finish the guy while he was out on the floor. Mr Cheung through the towel in right as Dave was trying to stomp the guy.

Nick

PS: Stevie Nicks wasn't wearing panties when those shots were done
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:26 pm

Some recent pictures of Bob...

Julian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian on Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:33 am

Nick, do you know how tall Bob is?
Also what was his weight back in the old days?

Julian
Julian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Right at 6 feet tall and 13 stone (You'll have to do the conversion mate...I don't know what you're using where you live)

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Camer0nQ on Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:53 am

Cool pics. 13 stone is 182lbs, 83kgs.
Dave Berry is still training and keeping in great shape. He even does some BJJ with John Donehue who is one of Gene LeBell's black belts and an old mate of Dave's from early. Last time I sparred Dave he was very gentle and I still got a great shiner. Quick hands, sharp still and courage in truckloads. I got him back in the wrestlng. Smile Don't tell him i told you though or he might not be so gentle next time. Smile) Billy Manne was watching and I heard him whisper to himself, "You need to get your left hand up a bit," then Snap! and there was the shiner. Smile Billy was to polite to say, "Told you so."

Billy Manne is also still in great shape, active in ZDK and a top bloke. he was on the Coast at the end of last year for a grading.

Camer0nQ

Number of posts : 11

View user profile http://www.budokarate.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:45 am

Yeah, Bungles (don't ever call him that to his face) was dynamite. I was at summer camp in Melbourne and he sparred a guy doing his ni-dan. One minute he was in one spot, then he did this amazing rush with combo that I could hardly follow, which drove the hapless recipient back through a window.

The funniest bit was that by the time the guy hit the glass and broke it, and everyone - including Bob - turned round to look at what had happened, Dave was sitting in the audience looking innocent. The guy who got back out of the window frame was looking round for him to continue their sparring. Dave didn't want to be busted by Bob for doing the window pane which was why he'd done his disappearing act.

Bob told me one night at the house in Melbourne about how Dave came to work for his security company aged sixteen. Desperate to fill slots he gave him a job that night only, fully intending to fire him after work. The club he was at went pear shaped and about eighty bodgies got into it with Dave and two big Yugoslavs. When Bob told Dave he wouldn't need him again the two Yugos threatened to quit so he kept on to him. He said he'd never seen anyone with as much heart in all his life when he ended up in fights side by side with him years later.

The night in Melbourne when William Cheung turned up with two Fijian boxing champs he'd taught to front kick at the open fight night was another example of Dave's ability. Cheung was hoping to embarass Bob by either not having anyone ready to fight these guys - win by default - or cleaning up whoever got in the ring with boxing and claiming it was his Wing Chun that was responsible.

I jumped in and fought the heavyweight and won with a TKO (first ever full contact karate fight) and Dave climbed in and knocked his guy out to the point where Cheung had to literally throw a towel in to the ring to save his guy. (Dave was heading over to stomp the guy's head after he'd koed him and foruntately the Ref - Billy Manne methinks - pulled him off just in time)

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:26 pm

Hello Nick,

1. Do you know how old Bob was when he started with karate training under Hanshi Ceberano? One of my theories is what Bob Jones made so good that he already could fight before he started the karate which of course refinded his skills and his application of karate was made for the street environment.

2. You said his favourites are / where headbutts. Can you recall some example when you saw him using it in the street or the dojo?

3. The story you told when Bob and the hardcore crew punished the guys which stomped a mate of Bob to death led me to the question how much damage did Bob to his opponents? You know he conducted some teeth with a roundhouse or his signature punishment:

which involved grabbing two big handfuls of hair and sanding the guy's face flat on the asphalt of the parking lot by using a planing action back and forth.

Sounds like some hard, very hard guy.

Did he also trained with weights to enhance his fighting abilities?

Cheers
Julian
Julian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi Julian,

Yep, Bob could already fight to a degree before he did martial arts. It came about, according to him, because of his red hair and moving to many schools as a youngster due to his dad's line of work.

Re his age, I'm not sure, my guess would be very early twenties.

I never did see him use one in the street...but he demo'd one on me in class one night and his control was absolutely amazing. I also saw his wine flagon headbutt which was pretty impressive as well.

Re weights, yes, he, and almost all of the black belts were using weights before it became fashionable for athletes to do so. Back in those days the theory was it would slow you down or make you "muscle bound" but Bob and the guys all used them. I remember he'd laid off them for a long time and I turned up in Melbourne to run classes at the Australian HQ when he began lifting again. It was pretty amazing to witness how fast he got back in shape....muscle memory I guess from all the years of training.

He was also a big pushup and situp man. I ran into two of his former room mates once at a business meeting. They told me the day they were sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast when the walls fell in on them. Bob was doing his daily five mile run, 500 pushups, 500 situps, 500 punches (onto a towel on the brick walll outside) when the plaster inside broke free and showered them in it. Pretty funny stuff.

Re the aggression...yes, phenomenally aggressive but that was the rule everyone played by. One guy, Stretch was a well renowned street fighter and always being challenged. His way of sorting out the men from the boys was to take it on the roof top of a building, winner throws the loser over the edge. Quite a few people died during fights in those days so it was definitely a case of "big boy's rules." There were many fights when teams turned up intent on killing Bob and Dennis Martin is aware of some of what Gary went through in Oz (as one of Bob's green belts) before leaving Oz.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Thank you for the answers, Nick!

Found some quote from Bob about Dave Berry

Well we tried just about everything to develop realism with this newly added dimension of safety, at one point we all wore 'Kendo Gu' (i.e. head and body armour) but Dave Berry used to cheat in the clinches and spin his opponents 'men' (i.e. head gear) around sideways they couldn't see, thus more broken body parts. The initial interest in the sport of Kickboxing was sparked off at the Long Beach Arena in California on January 1, 1970, at Lee Faulkners Touch Contact Nationals. Joe Lewis suggested him and Greg Baines, establish for the first time, the U.S.K.A. (United States Kickboxing Association) full contact Karate Heavyweight U.S.A title... Joe's K.O. of Greg in the second round gave birth to Western style Kickboxing.
Julian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Yep, that would be Dave alright lol!
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Julian on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 am

Nick,

Did Bob thaught you some tricks to enhance kicking and punching power? As you said he could generate phenomenal power... Maybe through repetition training and weights?

Thanks
Julian
Julian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Hughes on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:56 am

Mate,

There were loads of them. Little enhancements like triggering the foot at certain angles when throwing certain kicks and using hips etc.

He was also an advocate of weight training way before it was in vogue...in fact in those days everyone told us it would slow us down.

The weights we did were less strict in form though and involved a lot more "total body" movement.

Nick
Nick Hughes

Back to top Go down

Where did the photos go ?

Post  AussieCraig on Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm

I trained with Billy Manne about 35 years back and met most of those mentioned here including Bob, Dave Berry and many others...Joe Fav, Malcolm Shaw, Badger...I would be very interested in any old pics if anyone has any links, I've Googled all the names with little results...

AussieCraig

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-05-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down