Sundays Session

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sunday sessions

Post  arthur meek on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:04 am

Don't worry, the Somerset crew are reappearing this coming sunday. Have plenty of water at hand to feed the horses please. Oh, and a can of Stella for Jason.

arthur meek

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sundays Session

Post  MikeB on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:54 am

Rob, have any of you guys thought of competing? At the end of the day, people want to train with the best, but you can only prove this in open competition. If you guys were to fight, the results might help to drum up enough interest to get you some extra training partners!

Hopefully see you next Sunday, although I may not be on top form as I will be watching the Haye v Maccarinelli fight earlier that morning.

geek

MikeB

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-01-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:49 am

Hi Mike,
I've competed in Karate, Judo, Lau Gar, kick boxing ect over the years, since 1975 thru to 1998, at 48 years of age now I haven't the time or the desire to put in the amount of training, I believe I'd need to not just compete, but win in mma, but I still love to train as much as I can.
Rory & Spence compete amateur mma, and we have another couple of guys who are looking to fight this year, but they arn't going to be winning any major titles anytime soon. So I can't see their success impacting much on the poor turn up at Steve's classes.

Steve's had plenty of top notch students over the years, who have gone on to win world & national titles.
I can understand were your comming from, If you train a top fighter you must be a good coach !!

Trouble is if we wait for young Dan to be a world champ, Steve will be about 110.

And what about you? your a young stud, yet to reach his peak, all be it with a taste for the odd Mcdonalds.
You've been knocking around Steve's sessions for a few years now, why not come along every week, and we can help your training towards a few fights, and hopefully a bit of recognition for Steve via yourself.

See you soon Mike.

Rob

Rob Dick

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:17 am

I'm well past my peak, mate!

Sadly, my job doesn't allow me to train to the requisite level for properly competing in MMA and, like you, I believe in doing things properly if you're going to do them at all.

I'm glad that some of the guys are competing, at least. Would be good to see some videos up, etc.

You should get Dan out there on the circuit. There are plenty of young fighters looking for opponents and, from a promotional perspective, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to make a name for yourself at that young age.

You can let Danny boy know that I'm coming for him on Sunday, anyway! Suspect

lol!

In all seriousness, though, I think that a big part of it is all to do with having the team atmosphere there, and you guys are doing really well to foster this.

MikeB

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-01-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:18 am

Thanks for the marketing advice Mike but stick it up your ass.
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Hardwidge on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi Guys, better make it a couple of cans of Stella please. Its my birthday Saturday and i`m staying in because of training Sunday.

Jason Hardwidge

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rory on Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Good session today guys, very high tempo with lots of aggression...

I think everyone training today would agree that you reach a certain point in those drills and your basic instincts starts to take over, coupled with the raw aggression they draw out of you you can really feel your true fight game developing, rather than the "playing" at fighting which unfortunately is all too easy to fall into the trap of.

I'll leave it to John Law or Rob Manning to give an overview of the session but no matter that they say I'm sure they'll have trouble doing the session justice or conveying how it actually felt trying to smash the sh*t out of that downed bag !!. You'd need to be there to really appreciate it.

Arthur Meek, your guys would have loved it up here today hopefully the drills will be even more refined for the next time you're up.

For anyone else reading this, Arthur and his guys travel hundreds of miles every couple of weeks to take advantage of training with Steve Morris ... Anyone looking to fight pro or amateur or even just raise your game regardless of background should be getting their arse into gear and get up to the gym.

Rory

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:12 am

What we've been doing in the past month has really pushed it up to another level. Like I said yesterday, this is like I was doing at Earlham Street, but it's at another level now. We're setting a precedent. Nobody's doing this stuff, especially the hardcore stuff we're doing.

So what I'd like to ask all you guys is to keep this information behind closed doors. Keep it in Primal. THere's been too many times in the past when stuff I've done and concepts and principles I've got makes its way into other people's pockets. If they want this stuff, they can come and get it.

So Jon, any overview, make it non-specific. These drills are just too good to give away, or to waste on the theoreticians. What I thought when looking at it, having been in the Army and seen Special Forces train, is that this is what Special Forces should be looking at as part of their training.

Rory, like you said yesterday, this kind of training puts everything in a different perspective. When you read some of the questions coming up on the forum, they have no relevance unless you're engaging in this kind of training. And that's why you said to me you were unwilling to get in the discussion, because you're busting your balls training, and you're talking to a guy who isn't doing shit.

I'll reiterate: the sessions are completely open to anyone. If you come, you get the full deal. I've looked at top guys training in gyms all over the world, both up close and on video. They're not doing this.

Rory, you and some of the guys from Primal, you walk into any top gym in the world, you'd get their attention and not the other way round.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:15 am

PS, Rob Manning: on that bag drill Rory talked about, you were like somebody who'd just popped up from fucking Hell. I wouldn't like to be the opposition if you lost a court case!

And there's another thing. You all got doing that speed ball drill you'd never done before, and you were doing it like professionals.

I'm a great believer that if you give a guy his head, he'll lead. From the front.

Really great session.

Oh, and one special note. This thread is for Primal people only. Don't come over and here and post unless you train with us. Otherwise I'll delete the posts.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

sunday sessions

Post  arthur meek on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:32 am

Thanks Rory for the insight of last sunday. It's funny because a little while ago I wanted to know what you did in our absence but now I don't cos it makes me wish I had been there! lol.
When I decided to to make this trip even before I contacted Steve I had to make a commitment to myself that I was going to do this. Training every week in Primal for us down here is out of the question. But I thought every three weeks is better than once a month. It's very affordable in both time and money and after a few visits you pick more of the relevent information and it starts to sink in. But everybody who has come up with me has gone away inspired. Many are coming back. My own training has soared because I have so much information that is in my head and therefore I got an itch that needs scratching. Say no more!
See you guys on the 30th.
By the way one of the guys that came up with me recently just fought a four rounder kickboxing and stopped his guy in the last round. He's now looking forward to returning to Primal at the end of the month.

arthur meek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonLaw on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:34 am

Cracking session this week, as always. Starting with skipping and moving onto the shadow boxing and groundwork exercises interspersed with work on the heavy bags and back to rolling, agility and shadow drills.

As is often the case Steve throws in an idea and drills develop. This week it was another 101 things to do with a medicine ball. One of the earlier sessions I attended involved a lot of work with medicine balls but yesterday the humble piece of equipment was given a revamping and were used to train agility, stimulus oriented rather than process oriented as Steve calls it. All kept in context and as he mentioned a whole lot better than running from cone to cone or similar. Who would ever think of using medicine balls to test your sprawl?

We moved onto speed drills and power drills with the big gloves on. I love these drills as you can almost feel your sense of timing improving, as punches and covers are combined. Steve expanded on the issue of timing and rhythm and got us to experiment with breathing and rhythm whilst punching. We then moved onto fighting drills with the hands. We were able to go at it with full power but safely as the shoulders were the head. The intensity went right up at this point but safety was ensured as blows to the head were avoided. Steve explained and demonstrated attack, counter and counter time movements for us to ‘try’ and practice at high tempo. Not so easy but plenty to work with here.

These were later extended to include kicks, which had to be toned down a bit to save the receiving legs. We moved onto ground and pound drills and groundwork involving pre-determined roles for each person.

Next the drills were extended to multiple opponents, which was the first of the drills Rory mentioned above. I can only describe them as ‘mob’ drills, very intense, no time to think only time to do. Definitely working anaerobically, these drills really give you an inkling of how you can perform under pressure.

The dump bag drills were great as well, very intense and a real test of tenacity and homing in on a target. That was pretty much it other than ‘mastering’ the speedball, which was a joy for me as I have not managed anything of value when using one in the past, but we all managed to get the thing going properly. Tiring stuff, but really great training.

Overall a fantastic session and again the value of experiential learning these drills give you cannot be overemphasised; it’s almost learning without learning, if that makes any sense, you have to have a go to understand that oxymoronic statement.

As Rory mentioned the intense drills really do take you mentally to a different planet, almost, and the ‘free’ or ‘messy’ nature of them add an edge to training. Great stuff, come on down, you really don’t know what you’re missing.

Arthur congratulations to your mate who won the fight, nice one. See you in a couple of weeks mate.

JonLaw

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

THIS SUNDAY'S SESSION (EASTER)

Post  steve morris on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:59 pm

We are training this week. Some of you die-hards insisted on it! Who am I to refuse?

Anybody who was thinking of coming, we WILL be there 1-4 pm this coming Sunday.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  artinmotion on Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:58 pm

… grounding and pounding in court would be beyond the pale for most judges I think!

Sunday’s session was a real barnstormer. Talk about training in ‘the zone’, those rip-roaring drills of yours had me training in a completely different dimension! With your highly accomplished students Rory, Rob and Spence blazing a trail at Primal, the rest of us hang onto their shirt-tails and improve in leaps and bounds; quite literally some sessions!

When I set off for Coventry my wife usually says: “be careful on the motorway, and don’t let him eat you!” (very sweet of her to presume I would actually have a choice in the matter if it came to it!). To date the road network has been kind, and I’m pleased to say that far from being on the menu, you serve us all up a veritable feast!

Thanks Steve.

(By the way if you do ever get peckish, Kish usually comes armed with a bag of sweets!)

artinmotion

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  artinmotion on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:20 pm

Really great session on Easter Sunday. The emphasis this week on the mechanics of effective stand up: posture (so as to create a 'working space'); body leading the shot, etc was really valuable. The correct mindset/attitude during the (not so) 'passive' phase of an exchange drill was another valuable gem for me. Great working with Rory practising the pushing front kicks, knees and low round kicks: the 'heavy massage' as you call it!

Oh, and the mob drills? Delightfully outrageous as usual !

(PS The car belongs to my wife!)

artinmotion

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:16 am

Boy, that was a big class on Sunday. Thanks for bringing up your guys, Arthur. Again, we got a great training session and it's going to keep going forward.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

sunday sessions

Post  arthur meek on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:24 am

Yes another great session last Sunday and credit must also go to the guys that come with me regularly now, Jason, Chris, Joe, Alan. Nice to hook up with James Marshall who travels from further south than us and started by coming up on his own! The journey up and back is always interesting, discussions, jibes, I did this I did that etc. As Rob mentioned recently some of us are past competing now but these sessions are competitive. adrenaline fuelled and exciting. Thanks to the PRIMAL regulars who all make us feel real welcome. See you all next week.

arthur meek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 am

Yesterday Trish was there filming the session and I'd told her about Primal but she'd never seen it live. She didn't do any training but she was charged up from watching it. It was an intense three hours, and anybody who's ever trained with me knows what I mean by intense!

I think we're on to something here. We've just got to sell it to the rest of the martial art community.

That's why, as I said yesterday, I want to take a Primal training day to SENI.

Some of you guys, I'll be getting in touch soon to work out how we might best do that.

Really great work yesterday. I have some idiotic negative shit going on at the moment with some guys posting some rubbish over on UGF, but what we did yesterday puts it all in perspective.

We're going forward.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Here's a photo taken with Arthur's camera yesterday after the session.

http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/11/91/30/30/primal10.jpg

Everybody put in a really good effort.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:20 am

Hi Steve,
Just a note to say thanks for the session yesterday, and particularly for taking the time to help the guys, on specific problems we have been encountering, regarding technique.
I know its sometimes a diversion from the session plan, but the information & demonstrations are invaluble to the guys, and they came away with a much clearer understanding, of body alignment, closing the distance ect, ect., the information is pure gold.

For all you guys out there who follow the forum and are considering training at Primal, come along, the sessions are not just sweat & physical hard work, Steve's there full of knowledge just waiting to be tapped into.
He gave us an insite yesterday, into his study & knowledge of pressure point attacks, and why he's not the worlds biggest fan of these systems.
It was fantastic stuff, he doesn't take the piss, everythings based on real life experience and study.

Stop wasting the oppurtunity to train with Steve guys, yesterday we were down to the usual half dozen, that can't go on forever.
If your serious about your martial arts, you should be visiting Steve at Primal.
Thanks again Steve, we'll see you at Seni.

Rob

Rob Dick

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top