Sundays Session

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bob Spour

Post  Bryson Keenan on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:42 am

steve morris wrote:Great training day yesterday, had a visit from Arthur Meek and some of his guys and Arthur has just sent me a photo from an old Traditional Karate. I'm pictured with Bob Spour.

Is that the ex-SAS Bob Spour of 'SAS Survival' and 'Geoff Thompson's Muay Thay instructor' fame? Does anyone have an idea when he was 'in'? I have a former British SAS WO2 (ex-Greenjacket) pal here in Jakarta trying to put a face to the name, or a name to the face as it were...

Slainte'

Bryson
Bryson Keenan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sundays Session

Post  steve morris on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:48 am

Yeah, that's him. He came to interview me.

Don't know exactly when, maybe during the Falklands.
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:40 am

Hi Steve,
Just a quick word to say thanks for yesterday, great session.
Although the group was smaller than recent weeks, the energy was high, there seemed a really good buzz yesterday, everyone really going for it.
Ref Rob Manning on the bag at the end of the session ! where did that come from ! just shows what aggression & vicious intent that lingers under the suface with some guys, I don't think I've ever meet a nicer guy than Rob, a real gent, but piss him off, and he could be a real nightmare.
I think training with you, is allowing the guys to bring this out of them selves.
I'm enjoying the natural progression to the drills you've added, it's encouraging us to flow more, and think beyond the initial movements.
As always some real gems of information thrown into the mix, that for me anyway really flick the switch on the sometimes dim lightbulb in my head.
Look forward to next week.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marshall on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:55 am

Hi Steve,
thanks for the session yesterday- it was very good....

Thanks also to the guys training for helping me along too. Believe it or not I have been working on the stuff you do. However, facing quality partners and doing it under pressure changes the dynamic. But that helps me learn more.

Last time I was annoyed about how tired I was; this time I realised you can't help but get tired if you put everything into it. The secret is then being able to reproduce that intensity again and again, rather than pacing yourself to last the session.
I also realised that it is more tiring when you are under pressure, because the stiffness and mental effort have a fatiguing effect too. Also moving big heavy blokes around is not easy.
Lots more ideas for me to work on, and will get practising straight away.

The one thing I was especially clueless about was the long \ short sticky hands drill- I hadn't done that type of thing before- what is a good way to start?

Feeling ok today, but got a few funny looks at the service station on the way home yesterday as I was hobbling around very stiffly.
James Marshall

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:18 am

James there's no way round the drill that you're calling sticky hands--you need a partner. It's simply long or short hand-fighting before you get into the Muay Thai pummelling or the wrestling pummelling stage.

Just do it. Fight for hand control, or control of the head or body to get a dominant position from which you can strike, off-balance, throw, etc.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

sunday sessions

Post  arthur meek on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:38 am

thanks for throwing a little light on what you did yesterday. I know I have only been up to see you once but I feel I've missed out on things already. So could somebody fill in a bit more of what you did this sun gone? Will be up again on the 10th feb and will be hoping to drag along double figures if they all keep their word. Speaking on behalf of Kevin, Kade and Jason they were high as a kite with emotion all the way back from training. I couldn't concentrate on driving the tractor!!! with all their yapping.

arthur meek

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:44 am

Had to laugh at that Arthur. Thanks. See you all soon.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Hardwidge on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 am

A week on and I’m still buzzing about the session (20/01/08). I understand what you are saying Arthur about feeling like you’ve missed out on things already… Sunday comes around and you’ve got other commitments, but what you really want to be doing is jumping in the car or tractor and heading to Coventry to train with Steve and the guys… Not long before our next fix!!! Roll on 10th Feb.

Jason Hardwidge

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 am

I truly envy you guys.

Ken Fortunato

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:12 am

Arthur,
In the absence of Jon Law and his excellent memory recall, I'll try and fill you in on Sundays session.
Skipping - Really up the foot speed, attempting to match the foot speed to the hand rotation, also small steps, fast fast feet.
Shadow fighting warm up - Stand up - As usual work thru the body from head to feet as you move, bringing everything into play, tune into how the body is moving & working to produce the shots.
Forward, backward, cutting angles, shifting weight up / down, head always leading the movement.
Into Shoots & sprawls, again working on the idea of the head initiating all movement.
Floor drills, but making them more fight specific, ie not just a forward roll, make it a forward roll take down, into leg lock. (practised with partners).
Floor crawls, but from underneath you partner, into reversals.
Lots of this stuff, as usual once Steve's mind kicks in the variations just keep coming.
Throws & takedowns next.
Punch drills, promoting fast hands, with new addition to previous weeks drill.
Stand up striking 16 oz gloves, pre ordained strikes to allow partner to build defence confidence, many variations, bulding intensity.
Gloves off stand pummelling - Long & short range, adding in short range strikes & even clawing front kick to lower ab.
Power Pad working, Steve pointing out that to many guys attack, get their opponent rocking, then automatically close & start banging away with very short shots, while tied up with opponent, Steve steps off and gives the guy more of what caused the initial wobble.
Next - Ground & pound, pad man on the floor, in guard out of guard, keep changing position & keep pounding away.
Finally heavy bag throws & dumps, suplexes ect.

I think that covers the basic's of what we got up to, obviously there were plenty of tips, and gems of information throughout.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marshall on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks for that Steve, now I get the idea. There is a heck of a lot of information flying around on Sunday, so trying to listen, think and then do is tricky. I don't want to forget a key point and then practise the wrong stuff.
James Marshall

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:45 am

Rob, thanks for the summary. Jason & crew--thanks for the great feedback, see you again soon. James, see you next time you can make it as well.

We got some photos, I'll get them up when I can.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

sunday sessions

Post  arthur meek on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 am

Many thanks rob, gives me an idea of what I can do in my own time. Hey jas not too many references to the tractor they might start looking out for it when we arrive next time. Nice to hear from james marshall who is going to travel up with us on the 10th.
Steve, the you tube clip was interesting, inasmuch as the things we think we are doing ain't exactly happening in the way we hope they are. Apart from a mirror i haven't been privy to seeing myself train at all and it wasn't classic, however, instant tuition if you get my meaning. And my hair was a little out of place.
Can I ask then Steve do you feel happy at the things you see on film of your own movement and stuff or do you get critical?

arthur meek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Mac on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Steve, what is the drill that one of the guys called 'sticky hands'? Have you got any footage? I gave up the 'traditional'sticky hands a while back, would be very interested to see what you do. Is it like the 'swimming' they do in grappling drills? Cheers Rob Mac
Rob Mac

Number of posts : 1213
Registration date : 2006-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

sunday sessions

Post  arthur meek on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:23 am

Super day yesterday as we went at it again from stand up, to ground work to breakdancing( you had to be there for that one and I was pleased the camera wasn't rolling) to clinches, shoots, takedowns, knees, neck cranks, ground and pound (sounds worse than it is). If anyone out there wants to learn this stuff or needs to sharpen up there fight game get along cos its hell of a ride. Thanks to the regulars for making us feel welcome too, plus a big thanks to Steve for fitting in so much. The time flew and before long we were on our way home. Back again in a couple of weeks. See you all there, and if you're thinking of doing it but not sure don't think anymore!

arthur meek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:55 pm

Is anyone travelling up from London by car anytime soon? More than willing to chip in for petrol money / McDonald's on the way up (haha), etc

I want to avoid giving any of my hard-earned cash to those jokers at Virgin Trains if at all possible affraid

MikeB

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-01-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:57 pm

You guys are lucky you can go. I live in Europe, and can't.
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:00 pm

www.easyjet.com lol!

MikeB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Good point, but I meant consistantly. I have considered coming for a session next time I am in the UK. I come back a couple times a year.

But most of the guys who train with Steve do so every week, as far as I understand. So if I came by literally a handful of times a year, I wouldn't be training consistantly, and I wouldn't be part of the group.

I don't want to be viewed as a dilletante who shows up once in a blue moon. People don't respect you when you do that.
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:16 am

Hey Bloody Nuisance,

A lot of guys only mange to make the sessions occasionally, but it makes no difference to the regulars, it's good to meet and train with new guys, every ones got something to offer.

I'm sure if you made it to just one or two sessions a year with Steve, it would really benifit you.
You would then have some hands experience to take away and work with until your next visit.

The amount of information Steve crams into 3-4 hours, will keep you busy for months.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:09 am

Rob Dick wrote:The amount of information Steve crams into 3-4 hours, will keep you busy for months.

Agreed.

It's only recently that the sessions have become a weekly affair. Rob will tell you that they used to be held once a month, and even then there was so much info that it was hard-to-impossible to properly take it all in before the next session!

All the guys there are friendly chaps and I'm sure they would appreciate putting a face to the internet name, so to speak!

Let me know when you are next in the UK and I will try to arrange to come down at the same time, work permitting.

MikeB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:59 am

Rob, Mike, don't want to hijack the thread. I'll respond later via pm.
BN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:10 am

steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:46 am

Really great session on Sunday. One of the best ones we've had.

When I started up Primal there was a lot of talk, and I expected a wider interest. That hasn't materialized, but I'll tell you what. It's their loss. The training is going really well.

There's going to be an article on me in next month's MAI. Hopefully it will boost my numbers at SENI. Right now I think I'm up to 4. Wow. I could get a big head from this kind of attention.

More important though for you guys who do attend: we'll be starting at 2 pm this week only due to the gym being in use before that. Next week we'll be back to our normal time.

It's going to be another great session. Come on, you guys. Where are you? It's a bit like asking you for your clips....
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:23 am

Hey Steve,
Sunday was great, thanks very much.
As usual some great insights, and information overload.

I really don't get why we are not seeing more guys & girls turn up, there's so much martial bullshit out there, so many phonies, maybe they just muddy the waters.
Every one who does makes the effort to turn up, goes away buzzing.

From a selfish point of view myself, Rory, Spence, Dan, Rob ect are happily absorbing as much as we can from practically private lessons.

When I sit back slumped up the wall, and watch my training partners in action, be it drilling or on the bag ect, the ability they are showing, really drives home to me, the progress we have all made in 6 month's of regular training with you.

Is everyone out there of such a high standard that they couldn't possibly benifit, from the latest training methodology Steve Morris has to offer ?
I don't think so !

So me and the guys will keep raising our game and moving forward, and to the rest of you out there, as Steve says it's your loss.

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top