Sundays Session

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sundays Session

Post  steve morris on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:44 am

Claire, you caught one of the new guys out there and for a moment I thought he was going down. Don't underestimate yourself.
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marshall on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:09 pm

Went to a 3 hour groundfighting seminar for strikers yesterday. Waste of time as it was 2 1\2 hours of demo and talking and only 30 mins of practice- I left early. Completely the opposite to last week where we had to learn and adapt "live".
I was going to ask 2 questions- but you answered them in the "older blokes\mma training" letters page.
With less time on my hands it is the intensity and efficiency and mental focus of drills that I have to work on in order to improve. So that is one of the big principles I gained from last Sunday, and I can fundamentally change rather than "tag it on" to what I already do.
I haven't burnt my gis yet- but they are now in the attic.
James Marshall

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:48 am

James,
Im sorry to hear you wasted your time & money the weekend.
I know we all look for that special something that will improve our game, but maybe you've found it already.
I know traveling from Devon is a long slog, and getting to Coventry week in week out's not possible, but personnaly I'd take what Steve gave you on you last session & just work it to death until you can next make it to Cov, get the DVD's for constant reference.
If you can commit fully to his method, you won't need ground fighting instruction, or Thai or wrestling for that matter, his giving you the lot, intergrated, with all the bones taken out, for peanuts, compard to what a lot of less able able instructors are charging these days.
Just jump in with both feet, resist all the other fluff, and you'll come out the other side much improved in all area's.
Don't want to sound like a Steve Morris bible basher, but I've seen the hugh improvement Steve makes to guys, who are willing to put their training in his hands.
Just save your money, and train only the Morris method for 12 month's,
I believe you'll never look back.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James Marshall on Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:48 am

Hi Rob,
thanks for the reply. I went along to practice, not to learn a new style, but just to get some ideas on submissions/ holds etc, and train. I picked the biggest guy there to be my training partner to get as much realism as possible, but the session was badly organised (in my opinion), unless you were interested in a history lesson.

It was only 30 mins from my house, so thought it would be beneficial. It does help a lot to have similar minded training partners. I have told my existing ones that I am changing how we train from now. I will see how many want to change too.
James Marshall

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:18 am

Hi James,

Getting like minded training partners is key, and not always easy to do I know.
If you can just get 2 or 3 guys around your size & ability, they are worth their weight in gold, I've been really lucky having Rory & Spence to train with over the years, but other than them, others just come & go.

Hopefully if your present training partners see the improvements you are making, they will want to jump on board.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Imoto on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:48 am

Hi Mr. Marshall,

I had bad experiences in this type of seminar in past too.
And I guess, also another people here.
In that seminars I trained in places with more than 800 guys (yeah, this is true) with all that japanese bows and passional/cooperative throws and pins...
After eight hours (!) of that event´s type, I finished with only one sure:
"I lost my health, time and money there!"
Happly two years ago I found one celtic coach with another martial approach. Wink
If I live in England, I would be an "uchideshi" of Mr. Morris today!
Luciano Imoto

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-08-07

View user profile http://www.aikidoimoto.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:58 am

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the session yesterday, it was good to recap all that we have been working over the past few months, and see how much has stuck with us.
I think the regular guys all feel we are moving better, and gradually starting to pull together all the elements of our game.
The time & effort you are putting in, for very little financial reward, is very much appreciated.
I hope the class sizes improve in the new year, and you begine to reap the rewards of all your hard work.
Have a good Christmas, and I look forward to being taken to new levels in the new year.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:24 am

Thanks for that, Rob. A sincere Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to yourself, Rory and Spence and all those others who have regularly attended Primal. I can't express to you how much your support means to me.

You're right about the financial side of things. I think that’s because I'm relying on what Terry O’Neill called my 'extraordinary abilities and knowledge' to sell the product, along with whatever networking that you and the guys have done on my behalf.

Unfortunately, most martial arts instructors do the opposite. They package, promote and market a product which is in combative terms total bullshit.

These guys control the marketplace, and I can’t compete with bullshit.

I know you guys aren’t really happy about the situation with attendance—we all suffer because of the low numbers—but we’ve got a great core group and if we look back over the nine weeks, we’re steaming ahead. I’ve got plenty more coming for the new year.

If anybody reading this is thinking about coming down, it really is a good training session. No bullshit, no bells and whistles—it’s the real deal.

Steve
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  bob on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:05 am

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the training session yesterday (& Saturday), it was nothing short of brilliant!
I would also like to thank the course participants who were very welcoming and helpful! I can now put faces to names on the forum.

Wishing you & your families health & well being for the New year!
Ken

bob

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2007-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:06 am

Ken,
Nice meeting and training with you Sunday.
Now Steve's put you on the right path, good luck with moving your training forward & reaping the benifits of his personnal instruction.
The DVD'S ect are good, but nothing like the real thing.
I'm sure he's given you enough to work on, until your next visit
Safe trip back to Oz.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bob on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:40 am

Hi Rob,
Absolutely, I have plenty to take back with me & have already emailed guys in Australia with regard to organising a training group.
The whole experience has been liberating for me because as Steve says I dont need to look outside of the method, its all there.
Regards,
Ken

bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulb on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Steve, thanks for another great session on sunday. A masterclass in movement and how to train for 'the fight.' Everything we did, which was a hell of a lot, was functional and directed towards the fight. No wild and wacky meanderings on what might be 'reality.'
A pleasure training with everyone there, no ego's, just people wanting to improve.
Hope you all have a great christmas, looking forward to the new year.
Ken, great to see you there and good luck with the training, not that luck is an issue with Steve's direction!

If you haven't already, get down and train, you might even enjoy it. Without a doubt you will learn something.

Paul.

paulb

Number of posts : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bob on Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:07 am

Ken, great to see you there and good luck with the training, not that luck is an issue with Steve's direction!

Hi Paul,
As you say luck has nothing to do with Steves approach.

I managed to get a couple of training sessions in at a David Lloyds gym and was able to go through the agility drills that we went through on both the medicine balls and fit ball. My wife who is a gym junkie wants me to show her the drills so that she can incorporate them into her training! The only medicine ball drill that I didnt go through is the one for developing mindset, I would have been thrown out of the gym!

Sunday was an invaluable experience for me on a number of levels. Training with you guys was a reality check and also a way for me to experience a standard that I can aspire towards.

One of my main areas of concern was /is the development of the necessary and essential mindset that is required for a violent encounter. I feel confident that I can now run with the exercises and drills that I have aquired from Steve. I feel confident that I will be able to move forward in my personal MA development.

Im still in the process of digesting last weekends experience as it was a 'huge feast'. What is also striking about the training is that Steve doesnt have a one size fits all approach to the training and is obviously attuned to the needs of the individual for their specific MA development.

For anyone who is thinking about attending the Sunday training, not only are you accessing excellent instruction in a method and approach that you can run with, you will also find that the guys (and women!) are very helpful and supportive in the training arena with the intent of bringing out the best in you. A real 'Esprit de Corps'.

Best wishes, Ken

bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:12 pm

what time do the sessions start on sunday, many thanks, mick.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato on Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:49 am

Ken Milling wrote:I feel confident that I will be able to move forward in my personal MA development.

That's the key statement, right there. Cool

Onward... cheers

Ken Fortunato

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:11 am

We start at 1 pm on Sundays, beginning this weekend.

I've got to get up here to post but it's been really hard with the holidays, I haven't forgotten about it.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:21 am

Is anyone travelling up from London for this Sunday's session (6th Jan)?

Failing that, can anyone let me know how accessible is the venue from Coventry rail station? It looks too far to walk on the map, and I don't have access to a car.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeB

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-01-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:48 am

If anyone is travelling up from London on Sunday 6th by car, can you let me know by the end of today, as otherwise I will have to book train tickets.

I'm happy to chip in for petrol, etc.

Cheers,

Mike

MikeB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:53 am

I have booked a train ticket.

See you all on Sunday, assuming I don't have to work!

affraid

MikeB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:10 am

Good seeing you all yesterday!

I forgot all about the 'next day' pains that come from these long sessions. Limped into work today with bruises all over. No idea where any of them came from...

Felt a bit muggy on the train back after a couple of naughty shots to the back of the head by lil Dan when doing the ground 'n pound drills. I'll get my revenge next time Twisted Evil

The main thing for me was seeing how much the newschool old guard (i.e. Rob and Rory) have improved since I last saw them train. Very impressive, chaps!

In terms of the training, as usual, we covered all the ranges (stand-up grappling, take-downs, groundwork, g'n'p, stand-up striking).

The highlights for me were the technical drills on the bag / with the medicine ball, to improve striking power. I won't go into detail here, but suffice to say that those little tit-bits were worth the journey alone!

The other stuff I'll be taking back to my guys are the hand / arm conditioning drills that Steve went through right at the end of the session. Should come in handy (excuse the pun)!

It was a fun session, good group of guys as well. Look forward to training with you all again.

MikeB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:09 am

Hey Mike,

It was good to see you again, thanks for the kind words, just goes to show what some regular training with Steve can achieve.

Don't make it so long before your next session, remember lil Dan gets meaner by the week !

Nice to see some more new faces, and every one giving 100%.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rory on Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:36 am

Thanks for the kind words Mike, hopefully we'll see you again soon... your work allowing!

Excellent session yesterday, as Rob said everyone giving 100% and getting stuck in regardless of experience or skill level.

Rory

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:48 am

Rob Dick wrote: remember lil Dan gets meaner by the week !

Ooooh, I'm shivering in my boots lol!

MikeB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:08 am

Great training day yesterday, had a visit from Arthur Meek and some of his guys and Arthur has just sent me a photo from an old Traditional Karate. I'm pictured with Bob Spour.

http://i32.servimg.com/u/f32/11/91/30/30/steve_10.jpg

I'm not sure if the link works.

I shot some video yesterday and I'll put some up soon.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

sunday training

Post  arthur meek on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:45 am

well, as Steve said great training day on Sun. It was a buzz to be in his company again and the different training modes were perfect for those striving to be a complete martial artist. It was tough but not brutal, fun but not flippant, tiring but well tiring. I'm up again in a couple of weeks with a few more hillbillies from the west country.

arthur meek

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top