Weapon tactics?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weapon tactics?

Post  SteveC on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:08 am

Hi John,

From your considerable experience, i wondered what you found worked best when facing armed aggressors? Edged weapons if you want to narrow it down.

Do you have your own system of dealing with this or do you practise or teach any of the one's that are 'out there' (GUN, STAB).

Cheers,
Steve.
SteveC

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2006-08-16

View user profile http://www.everydayathletes.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Weapon tactics?

Post  John Skillen on Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:21 am

I have encountered edged weapons on many occassions and dealing with them is a nightmare unfolding before your eyes, and if your not quick enough to counter an attack then its a nightmare you may not wake up from. It matters not how many knife defence courses you attend or how many different systems you study. when faced with an edged weapon and your unarmed your in a very bad place. The lightning speed at which an untrained man or woman with bad intent can attack you is frightening. The systems that i have studied all have a common thread and that is what you should look for in all reality instructors its not the things they do differently you should look at but the things they do or say which are the same (the common thread). There are three key factors that i have recognised that are common to all the edged weapons instructors i've trained with get control of the person mentally and sychologically or get control of the weapon. The third run like the wind!!.
Rather than look for a system to practise look who is teaching the system have they been there have they faced real life threatening situations have they got real case studies to relate to you the instructors i currently racommend are Dennis martin, paul child and sav, karl tanswell, mo teague, these men have real life experience to draw back on coupled with sound systems.
Acting fast, thinking on your feet, reading body language, treating everyone as being armed(without being paranoid). and the willingness to be first. The only real advise besides the above is knock them out before they draw the blade. or don't be there.

My friend a doorman of ten years who has been through some troubled times and is very experienced watched in amazement a friend of his being run through with a sword. He suffered mental trauma for weeks afterwards he still has nightmares about it but now deals with it through training could'nt beleive what was unfolding in front of him it was disbelief that made him freeze. He still thinks he could have saved the other man truth is when an edged weapon is drawn you are secs from possible death. Only quick thinking and positive action will save the day.
Ive been lucky over the years very lucky and when i think back to some of the situations i've been i quiver.
My Own system is simple get aware and stay aware if your faced with a blade run if can, if you can't use whatever means and skills are at your disposal pick up anything within reach and use it.
Take care
and to qoute MO TEAGUE " TRAIN KNIFE"
JOHN

John Skillen

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2006-08-16

View user profile http://www.johnskillenmaf.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Weapon tactics?

Post  SteveC on Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:56 am

Thanks John.
SteveC