WHERE ARE THEY ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WHERE ARE THEY ?

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:39 am

Hi Steve,
Just a quick mail to say thanks for the great session yesterday, the more often I get to train with you, the better the pieces of the jigsaw seem to click for me, every session is an eye opener.
The only down side on these now regular Sunday sessions is the reletively poor attendence, I'm constantly reading on various forums, guys singing your praises, but where are the Buggers on a Sunday !
For basically £5 an hour, we get to train with the acknowledge best martial arts brain in the country, and only 10 guys turn up ! I don't get it !
Even the resident Instructor & his students, can't seem to bothered to make the effort, undoubtidly saving themselves some deadly Pressure point seminar.
Come on guys get from behined your key boards, and come along and train with Steve, leave your ego's, grades & belts at the door, and be ready to work, if your a true martial artist you'll love it.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: WHERE ARE THEY ?

Post  CoventryMA on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:40 am

In response Rob..The resident instructor ie me.....had a compound break of my toe 3 weeks ago which has to be re broken as its not set correctly. Therefore making it difficult enough to walk let alone train. Last week I was taking my mother back to Kent as she has lung cancer and cant travel too well. This weekend I was in Paris for the rugby world cup final. Now I would appreciate it if you kept your comments to yourself until you actually have some facts at your disposal.
As far as my students are concerned they are fully aware of Steve s prescence here on a Sunday.Many have committed to other projects until the end of the year as Steve being around is a relatively new idea. As far as my memory goes have you not attended all of Steves sessions that have been held her...I dont think you have but I may be wrong.

CoventryMA

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:41 am

Mr Pillage,
You are wrong, I have attended all Steve's sessions at you gym.
At least my mail stirred some one up, lets hope it does the same for a few others ! and they come along and train.
Unless of course I am now band for not keeping my thourghts to myself, which I have no intention of doing.

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JonLaw on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:45 am

Now, now fellas let's make it a clean fight, eh? Choose your weapons - handbags or keyboards at dawn???

I thoroughly enjoyed the session with Steve on Sunday. As Rob says each session provides something extra, another connection is made. SM, yesterday, stressed the use of novelty in training, which as he said is required to get the training effect.

In terms of strength training, which can serve as a simple example, novelty, or variation is an oft forgotten variable. People tend to do the same routine over and over. A plateau is reached, so weight or reps/sets are altered to allow further progression. The body, or muscle in strength training, adapts to the stimulus to which it is exposed. The greater the stimulus, the greater the adaptation. Obviously, increasing the weight/sets/reps is not always an option, but by varying the method of effecting a stimuli in the muscle adaptation can be achieved.

SM clearly understands this and his ingenuity within the training format is excellent. Last week we had a hundred and one things to do with a medicine ball. Some of these exercises were useable in the session this week, during the ground play fighting, and during other drills as well.

The numerous ways SM uses to train fight elements are dispersed throughout the session. For example, skipping isn't just skipping. It's tempered to be applicable to the changing rhythm of the fight. The changing rhythm and movement skills are then emphasised in different degrees during the various drills; padwork, playfighting, defence/cover spar, technical work.

That's not to say that we are given a myriad of drills to perform, rather Steve leads trainees to discover through trial and error. It's a kind of holistic guided discovery learning, with all the parts firmly fitting into the whole. Moreover, the principles connecting the various parts are emphasised at every opportunity, never leaving you wondering 'why did we do that?'

Steve uses novelty and ingenuity to provide the training stimulus, but not just for the sake of novelty, it's all built into the overall goal. And by this I don't mean parts of a syllabus, rather constituent components of the fight.

Regarding the relatively poor attendance Rob mentions, on one hand it was good to see people coming from Luton and Nottingham, the message is starting to be heeded; Coventry isn’t far away for anyone really. Just off J3 of the M6, A444, turn left at third island then right at the next and Pillages place is just on the left. Easy!

The cost is manageable, extraordinary value really, particularly if you take the monthly option. So there’s no excuse really is there?? Of course Sunday is not the best day for everyone, every week, but with a bit of juggling we can all make time for as many of these sessions as possible, surely!

The way that Steve teaches means that really you haven’t missed anything as such, as the same principles are covered time and time again but just in different ways. But as he says, these principles have to be shown and experienced.

JonLaw

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:09 am

The attendance problem is nothing new to me, Rob. What really gets to me is when people define me as a ‘genius’, ‘prodigy’, ‘awesome’, ‘unparalleled’ etc. etc. and nothing ever comes of it. I hear various excuses: ‘I live too far away,’ ‘the wife won’t let me out,’ ‘I’m skint’, ‘I’m doing a massage course,’ ‘Steve Morris is crazy/unapproachable/has poor social skills’—you name it. And as you know, Rob, it’s all true!

I’m into people who want to do training. I’m not into the bullshit.

With regards to Tony Pillage, he’s going to have a word with his guys to see if he can get some interest going. One of the excuses a lot of people have is that they live too far away, but Coventry is in the middle of England. I’m in a club every single weekend, and that club has a big membership.

Rob, what I do appreciate is the loyalty of yourself, Rory, Spence, and of course Jon Law and his students. And we have a few new guys as well. And no matter how many people turn up, if you lot are with me, then I’m going to make this the best representation of MMA in Britain. This is just the beginning. And we’ve already started to see huge improvements, based on just one day a week with me, and we’re only three weeks in.

I’m going to take you guys to a new place, believe it.

Good session yesterday, guys.

Last edited by on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Dick on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:45 am

Steve,

We believe it, and see the results in our own performance weekly, and for purely selfish reasons, i'm winding other people up to come along, I don't want to lose the opportunity to train regular, if it becomes financially unviable for you.
Lets hope others take advantage of this great oppurtunity, they would only benifit.

Regards

Rob

Rob Dick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  markp on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:25 am

Different people have different priorities when it comes to time and money. To some the time and the money is readily available; to others it isn't. I'm in the latter category at the moment, but hopefully that will change and I'll get to Steve's sessions. But does me choosing to see my kids and buy food instead of training that day make me uncommitted? I suppose it does to some people, but maybe my priorities are different in putting my family first. To attend regularly, I need to double my training outgoings and find another day to visit my eldest son. Possible, but not at the drop of a hat. I'm working on it.

markp

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  melvinfferd on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 am

rob,

for a weekly session thats just begun i think 10 people sounds rather good. and surely financially viable. at this stage the only thing i can see that could jeopardize the workshops is if the organizer/host is insulted and decides to pull the plug. ironically you managed to do that with your strategy of "winding people up". for those of us that do want to train with steve in the future, please consider a re-evaluation of your tactics.

melvinfferd

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2006-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:25 am

markp, nobody's expecting you to compromise your family. As someone with a family, I fully appreciate where you're coming from. I've got three kids and I've got to put bread on the table as well, and the way I can do that is as professional martial arts instructor.

In case anybody on this forum doesn't know, I'm broke. I was defrauded of over a million pounds--my entire life's savings, gone, no pension, nada. The person I believed to have been my best friend skipped the country with my money. At 64, that's no fun.

So believe me, I can relate. Every penny counts and that's why I set my fees to be as reasonable as possible. I don't want to exclude people on the basis of costs. I don't ask for any prior booking and I'm happy for people to walk in when they want, and when they can't make it, I don't get on their case. It's an open door policy.

Of the nine people who were there on Sunday, two of them are Tony Pillage's juniors. THey train for free and normally there's another kid who also trains for free. There's another of Tony's guys who comes for half price, but he wasn't there.

Four other guys were regular students of mine, including Rob Dick. Jon Law was also there with one of his students, and I've been instructing Jon both at his own dojo in Birmingham and on seminars. The last person was a Shotokan guy who had been on my seminars in the past.

So from my point of view, no new faces other than the ones training for free since we're using Pillage's gym.

I don't want to put words in Rob's mouth because he can speak for himself, but there's a lot of people out there talking about me, talking me up, promising to turn up, send their students, arrange courses, help to promote us, make contacts for me for seminars, etc. And Tony Pillage and I had an understanding when we set up this venture that it was a joint project. He promised a number of students other than the juniors whom I agreed to take for nothing. Now, as Tony said, he's got a lot on his plate right now. We've already spoken about it and he's agreed that he will try to boost up the intake.

So we'll just have to see. If the numbers remain small, as I've said, I will still continue to work with the group because that's my commitment. And my enthusiasm for improving the guys who do come isn't going to waver. I'm determined to make this work, come hell or high water.

I think what people reading this forum might not realise is what it looks like from the perspective of a guy like Rob, who has read the press releases and the endorsements, and walks in and for the first three weeks, the turnout is low and they're all guys who would have come anyway, without any promotion at all. Because they're essentially 'my guys.' So it's hard to see what the point of the promotion was.

Guys who do train with me see this, and they can't figure it out. There always seems to be a gap between the quality of the instruction/training and the number of bodies in the room. I'm familiar with this problem. It's frustrating for my guys because they want to train and they know that in order to build a strong group, we need more people.

I've had Rob and his guys turn up for courses where they were the only ones who came and they drove hours to get there. Once they even turned up in Bristol in a snowstorm, on a day when even I couldn't get through. And Rob also knows that all the negative press about me is untrue. There's simply nothing to be afraid of. The mad Morris thing is a myth.

Remember one thing: as a trainer, I'm only as hard as the student needs me to be. I've trained world-class fighters, but I've also trained guys right at the other end of the spectrum. Same principles, but not the same intensity. I'm not going to throw a baby into a shark pool. You want to get in there, you jump. I don't push you.

From my point of view, Rob Dick isn't jeopardizing anything because there doesn't seem to be anything to jeopardize at the moment! I'll be there every Sunday (except the 4th, when Joe Carslake is in town) and whoever turns up, I'll teach them. Full stop.

There's nothing more to talk about. Obviously I'm indebted to Tony Pillage for giving me the space and time, but equally I'm prepared to help Tony and his students become the best that they can be. And I think that's a fair exchange. I hope Tony thinks so, too.

Steve
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  paulb on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:43 am

Not sure what I can add here, other than to encourage people, like myself, 'at the other end of the spectrum' to get down and train. Regardless of abilities/level of expertise, or otherwise, I cannot see how you could fail to improve by following this man's guidance.
You've read the website, you've seen the youtube footage ...
Great session on sunday.

Oh! He's got a sense of humour aswell. He lets me train!!!

paulb

Number of posts : 4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:53 am

Paul, you are nowhere near 'the other end of the spectrum!' You're competant, and you keep making the improvements. It's always been a pleasure teaching you because I know you will take it away and work with it. And I know you're going to come back better than you were before.

Thanks for the post, and it was good to see you. I know it's a bit of a trek for you to get to Coventry, but I'll see you next time you can make it.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  artinmotion on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:38 pm

I was the 'ninth man' training on Sunday; it was my second session in Coventry, and what a session it was! Absolutely fantastic - I'm hooked!

Wild horses wouldn't keep me away!

Many thanks Steve, see you next week.

artinmotion

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rezbi on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:27 pm

Rob Dick wrote:Hi Steve,
Just a quick mail to say thanks for the great session yesterday, the more often I get to train with you, the better the pieces of the jigsaw seem to click for me, every session is an eye opener.
The only down side on these now regular Sunday sessions is the reletively poor attendence, I'm constantly reading on various forums, guys singing your praises, but where are the Buggers on a Sunday !
For basically £5 an hour, we get to train with the acknowledge best martial arts brain in the country, and only 10 guys turn up ! I don't get it !
Even the resident Instructor & his students, can't seem to bothered to make the effort, undoubtidly saving themselves some deadly Pressure point seminar.
Come on guys get from behined your key boards, and come along and train with Steve, leave your ego's, grades & belts at the door, and be ready to work, if your a true martial artist you'll love it.

Regards

Rob

Sorry to bring someone else's name into this, but this is nothing new.

People have been 'bigging' up Dave Turton for years on these forums, even to the point of asking him to hold more sessions, only to not bother when he actually does hold them.

Talk's cheap, as they say.

rezbi

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2006-08-18

View user profile http://unarmedanddangerous.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: