alcohol

View previous topic View next topic Go down

alcohol

Post  Guest on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:00 am

steve,

what are your views on alcohol, and do you drink.

many thanks mick

Back to top Go down

Re: alcohol

Post  steve morris on Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:42 am

Yes, I do drink but I'm not quite sure what the reason for the question is.

Can you be more specific?

Steve
steve morris

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2007-08-01

View user profile http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:20 am

Hi Steve,

I am glad the previous poster asked you this because I have been thinking of posing a similar question.

My question would be if you think leading an abstemious lifestyle is something you think is necessary for a martial artist to do. I asked the same question on Nick Hughes site, as it's an argument that interests me a lot.

Geoff Thompson, for example, advocated leading a lifestyle in which one eliminates "vices" in order to be a stronger, more disciplined person.

In one sense this seems unnecesarily harsh, and would seem to border on self flagellation. On the other hand I firmly believe that training doesn't end at the end of a training session.

I'm not sure if being disciplined in one's lifestyle would lead to a stronger character which would them be applicable in a fighting sense. What are your thoughts?
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:03 am

Bloody Nuisance wrote:Hi Steve,

I'm not sure if being disciplined in one's lifestyle would lead to a stronger character which would them be applicable in a fighting sense. What are your thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:24 am

Does this discipline make you a better fighter?

It's part of your training regime; you can't drink like a horse and then get in the gym the next day (unless you're really young, but even then you're not going to do it many days in the week!)

For me the most important thing is your training. Adjust your lifestyle to that, whether that means some drinking or no drinking. But don't get obsessional about it. It's more important to get your training sorted out than anything else. There's lots of people out there abstaining from alcohol, but they can't fight. And there's lots of people who drink more than they should, and can fight. The key for you as a martial artist is training. If you want the character of a fighter then your training has to be more punishing and challenging than the fight itself. That will bring it out of you. That's what you need to focus on. That hard training will produce the necessary mindset and strength of character as well as physical conditioning and skills.

When it comes to abstinence as a general principle, for me personally, I don't want to be virtuous. Drinking is like a lot of things. You've got to have control of it and not the other way round. Having to avoid it altogether, to make an issue of it, to me suggests there's a problem.

But here's something else. When I was younger I performed some supernormal feats of strength when I've had alcohol in me and I'd been aroused by a fight. I found myself at a level that I normally wouldn't have gone to without alcohol inducement. But here's the thing. Now that I've been there, I don't need the alcohol to get there again. I've got the impression of it. For whatever reason, physiologically or psychologically, the drink helped me to get there.

That's not me advising everybody to go out and get pissed and get in a fight. That's just the cirucmstances of my life when I was young, not an intentional choice. And I've stored it in my memory and I can use it.

The link has some points concerning alcohol use, pro and con. Makes interesting reading.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0220.htm

Steve
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennis Jones on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:25 pm

...I've got the impression of it...

With reference to what Steve said:

Wider research

One of the reasons why modelling is important is that it can contribute to pupils developing a ‘mental model’ of a topic. Mental models are regarded as a cornerstone of understanding. Most psychologists view understanding as much more than bundles of unconnected facts. As Johnson-Laird (1985) described it:

The psychological core of understanding … consists of having a ‘working
model’ of the phenomenon in your mind. If you understand inflation, a
mathematical proof, the way a computer works, DNA or a divorce, then
you have a mental representation that serves as a model of an entity.
Extract from ‘Mental models’ by P. N. Johnson-Laird, in Aitkenhead and Slack (eds) (1985)
Issues in cognitive modelling. Psychology Press. © Taylor & Francis Group plc. Used with
permission of the publisher.

A mental model has components and relationships between those components. Thus you can have a mental model of a concept, a task or phenomenon. The vital characteristic of a mental model is that it allows you to predict and respond to unknown situations – it confers flexibility and the ability to transfer. This is illustrated by a number of experiments undertaken in Japan (Hatano and Inagaki 1992). For example, young children who had experience of looking after goldfish were found
to have better understanding of how to look after other small animals. It is likely that they understood features such as feeding and cleaning, the health of the goldfish and the relationship between them. So when faced by an unknown situation of looking after another animal they were able to use the ‘model’ and transfer their knowledge from looking after goldfish. Thus they knew the importance of feeding the right amount of food, at regular intervals, and keeping the animal’s living environment clean.
Stevens and Rosenshine (1981)

From a DfES guidance document.

Regards Dennis

Dennis Jones

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-09-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BN on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:07 pm

Hi,

Just want to say thank you to Steve for your comprehensive reply, and also to Dennis.
BN

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2006-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulmolwales on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:43 am

First post, this will bring a smile to Steve`s face I hope....

regarding alcohol, many years ago I was in chester on a night out and saw an overweight guy with white hair and beard leaning against his car and announced to my friends `look !! It`s father christmas` and planned to go across and generally make fun of the poor old bloke.

Thank god in heaven one of my mates saw that it was in fact Gary Spiers who`d been called to the area because of trouble in one of the clubs he looked after.

So even though I was full of stella and have watched many Steven Seagal films, I think the big fella might have just got the better of me.

So at the risk of arguing with you Steve, I have to say that alchohol - at least in my case - is best avoided !

Cracking forum, really enjoying it. All the best for the season

Paul

Paulmolwales

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-12-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Fortunato on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:49 am

steve morris wrote:

When it comes to abstinence as a general principle, for me personally, I don't want to be virtuous. Drinking is like a lot of things. You've got to have control of it and not the other way round. Having to avoid it altogether, to make an issue of it, to me suggests there's a problem.

Steve

IMHO, that's the key issue, right there. Why should anyone feel a need to refrain from having a few tall glasses of Guinness if they're not an Alcoholic? cheers

Ken Fortunato

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-12-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steve morris on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:46 am

I think you made a wise choice of avoiding Gary-- though you never know, he might have let you off with a bear hug and a ho ho ho.
steve morris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top