Coops's Spontaneous Knife Defence Course in the South East

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coops's Spontaneous Knife Defence Course in the South East

Post  phil on Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:33 pm

IPDTA Spontaneous Knife Defence

Course Description

The IPDTA Spontaneous Knife Defence System has been designed to meet the needs of ordinary people. The focus of this training is to raise the student's awareness to the simplicity which a person can fall victim to an individual armed with a knife. The training will focus on knife defence techniques, based upon a realistic, yet highly aggressive check and stun philosophy. This system has evolved to the simplest form, where all of skills are gross motor skills that are compatible to the affects of survival stress. This simplicity in design allows for quicker learning and retention under the stress of a knife assault.

Course Topics

Survival Learning Research: We examine research from educational psychology and motor learning science and apply the research to the design of spontaneous knife defence systems.

Analysis of Offensive Knife Attack Strategies: The effectiveness of any knife defence system is based on the knowledge of how a knife can be used offensively. This training block will teach the students the basic knife strokes, and common offensive strategies to quickly disable a victim.

Spontaneous Knife Defence System: The Spontaneous Knife Defence method is based on a check, control and neutralise system. Having learnt how to control the attack, the students will explore the various targets available in order to make the attacker lose the will to fight.

Psychology of Combat Knife System: This section examines various philosophies regarding the tactical use of a knife as a lethal weapon. The research will explore the use of an edged weapon system influenced by the Fairbairn & Sykes system.

Each student will also require a white T shirt for specific scenario drills.

Course fees: 25

Conducted by Martin Cooper (Coops)

Date: Sunday 11th November 2007

Times: 10.00am - 4.00pm

Equipment Required: Street Clothes and training shoes.

Please bring a pair of focus mitts/head guards etc. if available. Bring any food and drinks along as the venue is 1km from any shops.

Venue:
The Scout Hut (Rovsco Hall)
Hollybush Hill j/w High Street,
Snaresbrook,
London, E11.

1 minute walk from Snaresbrook Underground Station (Central Line)

Map of location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=51.582003,0.020363&mrsp=1&sz=16&mra=mi&sll=51.582043,0.020342&sspn=0.006467,0.019956&ie=UTF8&z=16&om=1

To book a place, and for further details, email: harlowcombatives@yahoo.co.uk

phil

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Coops's Spontaneous Knife Defence Course in the South East

Post  phil on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:04 am

As an update, Coops will be training some handgun strips as shown in this thread: http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/Self-Protection-Practical-Martial-Arts-f1/No-frills-weapon-strips-t4376.htm if there's enough time at the end of the session. We've built in a couple of hours, but we all know how these things go. Laughing

phil

Number of posts : 28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DannyL on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks to Phil for organising this and to Coops for a top day of teaching.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, met some cool people and learnt loads. I particularly "enjoyed" the line up drill at the end. It was great to see everybody put together what they'd learnt under some pressure.

I also really found the presentation at the beginning of the day very informative also. Lots of research there I'd not heard of previously.

Thanks again!

Dan

(PS to the big fella from Crossfit London - sorry about your family jewels! Smile)

DannyL

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2006-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coops on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:42 pm

Cheers Danny.

You probably saw that I wasn't particularly into techniques, more the ideas and concepts. My whole premise is 'don't hesitate, attack now and wait for him to lose the will to resist. I'll leave it there as your probably fed up with me saying it :~)

The violent side apart, I am really pleased that you had an interesting day. I'm especially more than happy to have met Carl B - he actually came along as a student,which in itself is humbling. Bloody hell - my anally retentive self puts together research and you get some propper guys there to try it out. Thanks to all, I hope you got something out of it.

Coops
Coops

Number of posts : 1427

View user profile http://www.mdcconsultants.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth Barnard on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:10 am

A big thank you to Coops and Phil for a great day cheers , and also to everyone else I met and was partnered up with.

I'm aching for fun this morning!!

Thanks again,

Garth.
Garth Barnard

Number of posts : 324

View user profile http://www.realitybasedselfdefence.org

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmyfatwing on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:14 am

Was a really good day of training Coops, i came away with more than a few things to think about / train.

Thanks to you and of course Phil for the organising. A thankless task, so i wont thank him personally Wink

Nice to see some familiar faces as well as some new faces, no doubt we'll be meeting again!!!

p.s.
Radox rules cheers
jimmyfatwing

Number of posts : 146

View user profile http://www.jimmy-fatwing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Coops on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:29 am

Cheers James. I left Phil gurgitating over the paperwork even after the course - I agree,it really is a thankless task.

Garth, the Carl B I mentioned in my previous post should have read Garth B - I was on the phone with a Carl in the US when I was posting, sorry mate - I don't think the four hour drive back up to Lanc's helped my concentration either. Must've dropped into code white for a sec Very Happy . I'm serious when I say that I felt truly honoured to train with you and I hope you got even a small something out of it and you definitely added a little something to the line drill at the end Wink

Oh, and can I say that I'm knackered too.

Coops
Coops

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmyfatwing on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:53 am

Coops wrote:and you definitely added a little something to the line drill at the end Wink

is that what you call pain now then, "a little something" Very Happy
jimmyfatwing

Number of posts : 146

View user profile http://www.jimmy-fatwing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Coops on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:37 am

jimmyfatwing wrote:is that what you call pain now then, "a little something" Very Happy

In this overly PC world we now live, 'pain' is the next word they are going to ban us from using. From now on the devels of discomfort are:

• A little something
  • A significant something
  • Something exessive

And any pain cause on a training session on a Sunday will be 'Something for the weekend.' Very Happy

Coops
Coops

Back to top Go down

Post  DannyL on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 am

Forget to mention - just to prove I was taking it all in:

I was very nervous before the lineup drill so I slipped into using the autogenic breathing that you showed us - seemed to help

Great stuff all round! Thanks again Very Happy

DannyL

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2006-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex G. on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:32 am

All round great session, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and learned a great deal of interesting stuff! Thanks to Coops & Phil for the day.

Alex G.

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-01-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Coops on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:52 pm

OK, all the aduration aside (joke). PM me with the negives please. If you liked it and you think we should move forward with the totall crap I espoused, lets hear the negitive side.

Coops
Coops

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top