ko %

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ko %

Post  norfolk in chance on Wed May 16, 2007 8:58 am

hi lee,

i vaguely remember you saying you rarely achieved a one punch ko with the fist. do i remember that correctly or am i imagining it?

what sort of ko % do you get with open hand and the fist? did you often end up throwing multiple blows cos your pre empt didnt cause ko?

was wondering because i think i would be naturally inclined to use the fist with a boxing background but if someone like you who obviously hits very hard sometimes struggled for kos with the closed fist think i would as well, so maybe better training open hand strikes.

thanks for your time.

norfolk in chance

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2006-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ko %

Post  Lee Morrison on Wed May 16, 2007 10:30 am

Hi mate
for me personally I found at least in my early days of door work, that when ever I was involved in a particularly stressfull situation when say its just kicked off and everyone's pretty much hitting everyone else, that targeting the chin or jaw exactly for a punch would often elude me.

It was as if targeting became a fine motor skill which as a lot of us know tends to disappear under pressure. The result was, particularly when I would just access state and hit everything that moved, I ended up punching the cheekbone or the top/side or back of someone's head.

More often that not I would get a result regardless but I couldnt really say if I had landed a KO after the first shot, because more often than not I would just keep hitting until there was no one else in front of me.

At other times particularly as I became more experienced, I did actually have the presence of mind to target the chin/jaw bone which of course is the best target if your a puncher and had KO success with that on several occasions.

To be honest I made the transition to open handed strikes during the last 4 years that I worked on the doors for two reasons one; it was around this time that I was training with my first Combatives instructor Pete Robins who influenced me greatly in this area and two; because I got tired of the scars from teeth, dislocations and busted knuckles and generally having to put my hand in the ice bucket at the end of every friday and saturday night.

I kept the same body mechanics and movement for my previously favoured left cross and right hook but I just applied them to a left palm strike and right handed slap, with I might add gave me KO success on lots of occasions.

Thanks for the question.
Peace...

Lee Morrison

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2006-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk in chance on Wed May 16, 2007 1:14 pm

cheers for the reply , much appreciated.

norfolk in chance

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2006-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum