Hooks...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hooks...

Post  pmatt on Sun May 13, 2007 6:44 am

Hey John. I made a thread in self protection, and Januco told me to go and ask you as you were the 'master of hooks' and said to ask about multiple knock outs.

This was my post:

"do you ever find yourself bringing onr of your feet round. like a left hook orthodox and right foot comes round clockwise to the left behind you.

or maybe a right cross and you step foward with rear foot.

I need to keep my weight on my rear foot"

Im not sure if its a balance thing or what. But I think I need to place my weight on my back foot, twist the body and front foot,

or weight on the front foot.

Cheers

pmatt

Number of posts : 1158
Registration date : 2007-03-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hooks...

Post  John Skillen on Mon May 14, 2007 7:53 am

Ahh! punching the many splended art What you have described are boxing moves and for self protection you must be able to get as much power in your punch as your body position will allow. My friend, teacher life coach, and one of the best street punchers I know the incomparable Geoff Thompson Used a phrase which you should let reverbarate around your head as you practise
"learn to hit hard, fucking hard and be first!." Pin that phrase to the wall next to your punchbag!!

Here's another of my dad drilled into me among others "never let them off the hook"

You need to concentrate on the street application and for that you need to be stable, the heels lift only a qtr of an inch off the floor and when you pivot it should be only enough to transfer the body weight into the punch. There is nothing wrong with falling forward behind a right hand punch as long as you are in a position to carry on punching/ or whatever with forward momentum. the same with the pivotal left hook make sure you can carry on defending yourself with forward movement or escape.
when facing two opponants hit the most dangerouse first then hit the second if nessescary. The most dangerouse will be the one closest to you.

As for multiple opponants the same rules apply hit hard and keep hitting until the threat is negated or you have managed to get away. The movement for street punching can be found in its entirety on my pure punching seminar on Aug 5th details at www.johnskillen.com

Hope this helps you sort your punching out if you can get along to my pure powersalp on sunday i will show the multiple punching application its spot on. It will give you tremendouse confidence in the face of adversity.
Take good care
John

John Skillen

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2006-08-16

View user profile http://www.johnskillenmaf.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pmatt on Mon May 14, 2007 1:44 pm

Ahhhh cheers man! Half an inch! thats gonna help, Ive been lifting my heel up very high, I think less lift will really help. I just tried throwing my right cross and Im a lot more balanced that before. Before I leant right over to the left ( I think its because of a tight right hip because its ok on the left.) Im pretty sure I wont be able to get there this sunday mate, but that pure punching one looks wicked mate, Ill try and get there, bit of a treck but Im gonna try!

cheers very much man

pmatt

Number of posts : 1158
Registration date : 2007-03-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Skillen on Tue May 15, 2007 12:17 pm

relaxation prior to explosion is the key to a solid shot!!
take care mate
John

John Skillen

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Mc on Tue May 15, 2007 3:11 pm

At the last GT course, Geoff looked like he was only using Two Knuckles with his hand open.
Canít remember you doing this but is it is something you have looked at..

Dave McC
Dave Mc

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Menapace on Tue May 15, 2007 7:20 pm

I have heard Geoff T. say several times that he does not completely clench his fist when he punches. He claims this keeps him relaxed and increases his impact and snap.

Certainly can't argue with his results! Laughing

Jeff
Jeff Menapace

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Skillen on Wed May 16, 2007 6:56 am

Hi Dave anything geoff does is worth looking into and yes when holding the focus mitts i often punch with the two big knuckles as the hand is in the perfect position. in conflict though i would close my fist as tight as a steel ball one of my little sayings "arm of rope fist of steel" sounds like a dodgy kung fu movie title but it puts it in to perspective.
Take care mate
John

John Skillen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jagunco on Thu May 17, 2007 4:29 pm

Oh yes Dave do you not recall the countless exercises to get us to relax whislt punching with a hard punch. They were very useful.

lol pmatt you never had to tell John I said that Razz he'll up is prices for me now
Jagunco

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2006-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top