Streetfight Secrets presenting Bob Spourís Combat Clinchwork

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Streetfight Secrets presenting Bob Spourís Combat Clinchwork

Post  Chris on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:42 am

DVD review.

Streetfight Secrets presenting Bob Spourís Combat Clinchwork Disc 1.

This is the first DVD in an intended series on clinchwork and close quarters grappling. It follows on from the very well received SAS Fight Secrets.

Let me start by saying that I donít review material I dislike. I find it a waste of time and energy so from the onset itís fair to say that I have always been impressed by both the material provided in the ďSAS SeriesĒ and the instructional style of Bob Spour. Both are accessible, easily understood and plainly effective.

In this DVD the format changes slightly from the SAS fight secrets series. Where previously Bob Spourís style has been very much that of an instructor delivering a seminar in effective broad stroke soft and hard skills. Here we have more of an exchange of ideas and an introduction into a far more specific and focused area of self protection. The concepts and principles which underpin the earlier material remain intact but here we begin to expand further the physical tools and options available.

Here the spotlight comes to rest on the use of the clinch where all parties in the conflict are unarmed. Specifically, Bob delivers his take on Thai clinch work adapted and applied effectively for self defence and protection. As always he is direct in his language and his delivery of technique. In fact first demonstration results in a heavy strike to the ear and a bad case of jelly knees for his uke Richard Grannon. (As a side note, some may recall that this is the same Rich Grannon who found out that brain fluid is straw coloured after an earlier recording session in the series). It is blatantly obvious from the onset that we are watching tried and field tested techniques in action. Great from the perspective of the viewer but Rich may consider upping his insurance payments.

The progression of the material is logical and detailed. Bob begins by discussing and demonstrating the correct entry into a clinch. He breaks down appropriate body weight transference and structure with clear examples of the entry at work. He stresses that this is a dynamic exercise which may begin slowly but has to be built up to full speed amongst training partners. From entry he covers the efficient use of body-weight to gain control, he looks at potential target areas for striking when entering and shows how to work within the clinch for destructions, rips, take-downs and locking up the opponent.

While there is an obvious and logical structure here the delivery of the material comes in the form of a loose question and answer session between Rich and Bob. As a result the conversation can wander around the topic somewhat but always rolls back to the pertinent points with physical demonstrations of the concepts surrounding efficient entry, head control, correct delivery of strikes and combative mindset. This open approach also allows Rich to ask the questions that the viewer would ask, rather than just having Bob deliver a lecture on the chosen topic.

Within the DVD we do not simply hear Bob Spourís view on the clinch, we see his responses to spontaneous questions and unrehearsed physical threats. This adds an element of realism to the disc which is sadly lacking in many other products. That said, this is an introductory session only. The viewer must realise that these are the building blocks for successful clinch work, more detailed examination of the constituent parts will no doubt be covered in later DVDís in the series but time and effort must be spent working these techniques and principles to achieve proficiency and success in their application. That said, if all any purchaser did was drill these techniques consistently they would have added considerably to their physical tool-box.

With this series Bob Spour and Streetfight Secrets have delivered something I have never seen before. A demonstration of effective clinch-work adapted and applied for use in the street rather than a sporting context. Their work has the weight of experience and as always it is effective, to the point and efficient. If you have never drilled to work at close quarters and in the clinch then give this DVD a look and have your eyes opened to the possibilities. If you have drilled clinch-work before then buy this DVD for Bob Spourís experience and his work in bringing his knowledge of clinch-work from a sporting context and modifying it for use in a street environment.

For whatever reason you order the DVD you wont be disappointed. I can practically guarantee you will want to see more. Roll on the rest of the series.

Take a look at Streetfightsecrets.com for more information and the option to order this and the rest of the DVD's in the "SAS" series. All of which are excellent.
Chris

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2006-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Streetfight Secrets presenting Bob Spourís Combat Clinchwork

Post  Richard Grannon on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:50 am

Thanks very much mate
can I use this review in my sales copy please?
Richard Grannon

Number of posts : 1224
Registration date : 2006-08-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:06 am

Absolutely Richie, fill your boots mate.

All the best
Chris

Number of posts : 2042

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Menapace on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:59 am

Great review Chris!
Jeff Menapace

Number of posts : 921

View user profile

Back to top Go down

clinch control

Post  J.D on Tue May 01, 2007 11:11 am

WOW!! just recieved this DVD & IMHO it's by far the best instruction on this subject that i have seen?

if you are thinking about buying any dvds on any self defence/ martial art then this should be top priority- there are so many applications & drills that you can take from these concepts, that it will take months to just scratch the surface.

god bless BOB SPOUR

J.D

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-04-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  melvinfferd on Thu May 03, 2007 6:27 pm

hi bob,

ive been wondering ... did you learn your clinchwork from a variety of sources or did the majority of it come from the trainer you mentioned, Pimu?

your approach seems very functional in application ie not just sportive. my experience in thailand was that its very difficult to find someone that teaches muay thai from a wider perspective.

looking forward to your future video projects. you and richie make some of best instructionals on the market.

melvinfferd

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2006-10-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobspour on Fri May 04, 2007 1:04 pm

Yes I did learn from a few sources. The first being Yodtong and of course Pimu. His clinch work is at another level. It is probably the best there is in Thailand.

I can honestly say that most of the clinchwork I have come into contact with in the UK is rudimentary...and consequently useless against Pimu's. I recently did a joint seminar with Arjarn Surachai Sirisute and Mark McFann from the USA and they were completely blown away by it...and the next day...they couldn't move there heads!!

It is true to say that the Combat Clinchwork that I teach has not come from a Thai source...it is essentially my own and is based on my martial arts and Self Protection practice over the past 40 years including my time in the military. Of course it has been influenced by my Muay Thai but over half the techniques I would use would not be legal in the ring!

bobspour

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2006-08-17

View user profile http://www.phrayapichai.com

Back to top Go down

Recommend

Post  BXC8 on Thu May 10, 2007 1:24 pm

I just would like to say that I really enjoy the DVD.Highly recommend the Dvd to others and look forward to the other Dvd's on the topic.A lot of the material I've watched on the subject either came from the Jkd point of view(Trapping) or Grecco-Roman approach(Matt Thornton SBG DVD's).but they raised more questions than gave good answers.Again really appreciate the approach.Quick question to either Richard or Bob,What about when the other guy gets a handful of your clothing?Hard to do neck control when their using stiff arm and trying to load up with other.A common situation when doing doorman work that I've come across.I know the situation shouldn't have got to that but in a crowded area the set up might not be possible.Would appreciate your thoughts.
BXC8

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2006-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobspour on Sat May 12, 2007 12:48 pm

Sorry to reply so late...been busy!

If someone grabs your clothing you just keep going. In my experience the grip will be broken anyway. Think of the clinch like a car crash...you keep the angular momentum going and because of the type of footwork I use the attacker will usually end up with whiplash injuries. Most people have not experienced True Thai Clinchwork the way Pimu teaches it. It is absolutely brutal. On an untrained student serious injuries to the spinal column, the mastoid process and the Traps results. The same answer also applies to the stiff arm idea you posit. We crash down on that arm anyway and if it is/was stiff that just makes it easier to damage. Take note of what I do in the DVD with my hands. The hands both act as a tool for sensitivity and destruction. Hard and Soft. (I guess that is my old Goju-ryu training coming out)

Hope that answers your question. Watch out for Vol 2 in the series and these questions will be answered.

Remember...Pain is just weakness leaving your body...

bobspour

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2006-08-17

View user profile http://www.phrayapichai.com

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  BXC8 on Sun May 13, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks for that Bob.
BXC8

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2006-09-01

View user profile