Having trouble with visualisation? Try this

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Lee Morrison on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:18 am

Visualisation Visual/Auditory drill:
From a personal point of view I often find it difficult to simply close my eyes and see my mental imagery, crystal clear like an internal video running behind my eye lids. Visualisation comes to us best from a state of complete relaxation. When I take the time to induce such a state is often when I have the most effective visualisation sessions. But what Ive also found to work best for me is instead of just closing my eyes and trying to see, hear and feel the scene I often get a better result if I run an auditory commentary in my head or out loud a few times first. I use one that depicts the scene in my head as it unfolds. The act of saying it as I see it helps me to clarify the pictures with a little more detail and also seems to keep additional thoughts from coming in and cluttering the vision.

One example might be; I want to visualise a specific scenario or event where a physical confrontation is inevitable and unavoidable. This may be a simulation theme in training, or a live situation that must be addressed. Of course to any situation, you can add an infinite number of variables that will call for flexibility and adaptation. Such elements can and should be worked into your mental imagery sessions. But lets start with the dynamics of an event then build on it from there.

Example; I have found myself during the interview stage of a confrontation between myself and a potentially hostile subject. Instincts tell me that I need to be pre-emptive. So first of all from a relaxed state, I will set the scene and the theme, running a commentary in my head as to what I can see along with the dynamics of the situation. I can slow this right down placing my auditory coaching into the relevant places within the time frame, such as; subjects body language tells me this interview is coming to an end, hes touched my fence and showed intention, the next thing he does is going to get him blasted! There it is, a subtle weight shift, hes getting ready to launch! Blast him, BOOM! I launch a massive slap with my right hand, explosive torso rotation has put my accelerated body weight through his head, youre out sucker! Hes down, get to safety, OBSERVE1 No further threat, Im out of here Theres the dynamics; I will now throw spanners at it.
My first shot only made him stubble, must follow up, BOOM, BOOM! Two further elbows go in until hes down, caught a glimpse of an additional threat coming from my flank, COVER! Boom! Took a shot, rocked me slightly but my response is immediate. Attach from the cover and blitz him! Multiple palm strikes with forward pressure put him on the back foot, I clinch, knee, rag him down and stomp, job done! Turn back OBSERVE, check state both threats are down. Escape, get moving! Get the idea?

Visualisation Visual/Kinesthetic drill (combative):
Heres a progression that Ive found to work best of all, again from my own personal experience. Now I will take the same scenario and add full on physical action to it (Kinesthetic) Heres the deal. Working in my garage gym I recreate the scene, its night time so light is off, the garage door is open letting in just enough street light for the scene. I place impact equipment in several places in exact relation to how I visualised the previous scenario in my head. This places a BOB dummy directly in front of me, which I will hit first with a huge slap. I place the upper body of another make shift dummy on its side on the floor to the left of the BOB, to simulate where the first target will fall. To my right is a hanging dummy on the wall, within arms reach. By the open garage door (simulating my exit) is a 6 cell maglite torch that I will pick up as I flee the scene just in-case I need to equalise further. Now I get relaxed and visualise each piece of KIT as the bastards I fought earlier, I have emotional content! I am slightly adrenalised but calm and confident at the same time. I recreate my dialogue, namely my trigger word. BOOM! I slap he stubbles laterally! BOOM! I blitz him with elbows. Bang! I catch a shot from the flank but peripheral vision allows me just enough inclination to cover. I turn, attach and blitz the wall dummy with multiple palm shots, into clinch knee, I rag him off the wall and stomp! I actively scan, left, right making my escape via the half closed garage door which I must negotiate by ducking. I pick up the maglite and posture from an active guard, no further threat Im gone!

After this drill I can tell you that I am comfortable tired and more than slightly adrenalised due to the state change, that I actively felt. I feel the slight effects of tunnel vision and emphasise the need to break state and scan. Although my targets were static, in my own mind everything was dynamic as I made functional transitions from one target to another. I have just turned a basic impact drill into a great simulated experience. Try it for yourself employing the said progression. You will be amazed at how real you can make this feel. A great progression from here is to bring in your training partners and some safety kit, now you can make the whole thing more dynamic. The fact is you are now mapping in mental blue print solutions, into your sub-conscious via the presence of emotional content and relevant state. Such practice will help you smash hyper vigilance and employ your plan of action when it all goes to auto-pilot.

Peace afro

Lee Morrison

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2006-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Having trouble with visualisation? Try this

Post  Dienekes on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:44 pm

Lee, this is simply AWESOME.
IMHO,combining together visualisation and kinesthesiology with tactile sensitivity is the best way to anchoring skills and emotions.
Once again, thank you.

Massimiliano.
Dienekes

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2006-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Morrison on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Hi Max
thought that was you, hope you are well. We can look into a few of these drills next time I see you in Italy.
Also apoligies for the spelling mistake ''stubble'' should have read 'stumble'
Peace

Lee Morrison

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2006-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top